Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven’t started the pre-op diet yet. I don’t know why I felt like I HAD to but I felt like yesterday I had to go and eat one last McDonalds. I’m terrified that I won’t stick to this diet and I’ll still be overweight, nothing will work.... stretching my sleeve. I’m so ashamed that I did this. I couldn’t even finish my food because I was so disgusted with myself. I am so scared that I’m going to screw this up.

2 minutes ago, lysdexic_girl said:

I haven’t started the pre-op diet yet. I don’t know why I felt like I HAD to but I felt like yesterday I had to go and eat one last McDonalds. I’m terrified that I won’t stick to this diet and I’ll still be overweight, nothing will work.... stretching my sleeve. I’m so ashamed that I did this. I couldn’t even finish my food because I was so disgusted with myself. I am so scared that I’m going to screw this up.

Believe it or not, this reaction is a positive one. You've "slipped up", and you are upset about it. That's a VERY good thing. Work harder next time. Try harder next time. When you think you are going to cave, remind yourself of what you are gaining by giving up these unhealthy food choices. Now is when to start looking for alternatives, because those cravings, while they might reduce, generally don't ever go away. This is where the habit changing comes in.

You haven't failed. Because you really haven't really even messed up because you aren't on your pre-op diet yet. So give yourself some slack here, clearly you are displeased with your actions, and that's fantastic! So, what could you have done differently? You don't have to answer here, but think about it.

The burger on it's own isn't *THAT* bad... the fries, mayo, bread, etc... that's the bad stuff (at McD's anyway). So, look for the tweaks and changes you could have made to make that meal better for you.

You've got this, as ashamed as you are, the fact that you are, means you've got the right mindset moving forwards.

Stay Strong!

I agree with Matt. The fact that you felt shame and moreover threw out the rest of your food is FANTASTIC. Mistakes will be made but your reaction is the reaction of someone who knows how important it is to succeed and has the self control to stop and correct when mistakes are made. GOOD JOB!

You will find from reading on the site that a lot of us had "food funerals" the last week or two before the pre-op diet. Even though you will still be able to eat these foods again if you want, there was something "satisfying" about saying good-bye. From other posts here, I haven't seen that those people were predisposed to failure on weight loss post-surgery. Just sort of a "grieving process" before they could move on to acceptance of a new lifestyle.

Don't sweat the past, learn from it and move on. Good luck!

Ahh the good old food funeral!!! It’s actually good that you feel a little shame. But don’t go overboard. Just be determined when you start the diet to not cheat.
You’ll be good! Just don’t have 20 huge meals right before you start the diet. You won’t screw this up by having one food funeral. :)

I ate a lot of things in the weeks leading up to the pre op diet. I thought, "it will be my last time". There were a few things that I ate more than one "last time". However, for a lot of it, it was the last time. For a few things that mattered, I ate it again. It wasn't even as good as I remembered. food funerals are normal. If they help you stay focused on staying with the program, I support it.

Edited by AshAsh1

I decided to do this before I started the process. LOTS of food funerals. I knew my process wouldn't be long given my insurance requirements, so I wanted it out of my system. Congrats, you're a human being... And an incredibly self-aware one :-) Show yourself a little love and give yourself a pat on the back. You've totally got this.

Didn't one of a OP's DH(for Dear Hubby) call it the Goodbye Calories Final Musical Tour? Thought it was cute at the time, putting my last evening transgression with 2 meatballs and a slice of pepperoni off of Dear Son's pizza slice🍕 in that category. Besides it upset my GERD and I couldn't sleep. Better than future RnY dumping but instructive anyway! And I WILL go and sin no more. So help me Dr Needleman(my future surgeon) and/or God.😛

I had a food funeral(s) about 2 weeks before I started pre-op. It seems like a rite of passage when we are doing this kind of surgery for some of us. You've got this!

I am with you on this I am getting ready to start my pre op diet in a few days. It just seems like I am craving everything under the sun! I want a sub from this local sub shop, I want McDonalds too, and Burger King LOL I am a mess. I agree with what these people have said. Plus our minds our playing tricks on us saying if we don't get it now we will never have it again. which most of that is true if we want to keep the weight off. you can do this!!!

Oh if I would tell you what I ate the night I got my pre-op diet. I got the diet Wednesday and was told to start as soon as I could get to the store. That night I went to the store for supplies to start the next morning. I made multiple stops getting a little something from over here and a little something from over there. Went home and gave my mouth and tummy one last food party and washed it down with a shot of bourbon.

I got up Thursday, food prepped and started my pre-op diet ready to be serious.

What you did isn't really even an offense. If anything, I'm sad you didn't even really enjoy your last McDonald's. But keeping it real, have you read what some people are eating even when they're supposed to be actually on the pre-op diet? You have nothing to be upset about really. You've gotten it out of your system, now you can move on.