Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice on getting enough food.

I had lapband 7 years ago and have maintained pretty well. I am now 51 and i know I am not getting the right nutrition. I feel very tired most of the time, I am now starting to bruise really easy. I hate to admit it but I havent had anything green in probably three months!! I always try to get my Protein and then I cant eat anything else much. Im just wondering how do you get your greens and nutrients etc.??

You had LapBand whereas I had Gastric Bypass so what I am saying may seem a little different but I think as far as nutrition post-op, it will be important and applicable.

The three most important elements right after weight loss surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

For me weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. I began with 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore I needed to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes and Protein Bars.

So since you are in the maintenance phase, the goals will change. The elements of protein, fluid and Vitamins will still be important but rather than taking them as supplements, one can eat real food to supply those needs.

According to my nutritionist, meals should consist of equal parts of protein, fats and carbs after the first couple years post-op. Always put protein first. Snacks should be limited to primarily whole food options: nuts, natural nut butters, fruits, veggies, boiled eggs, string cheese, yogurt with berries and almonds, tuna pouches. Avoid processed packaged foods as much as possible.

In your case, you will need to assess your daily protein consumption. In general you should be consuming around 75-90 grams of protein daily. If you are under this amount, you will need to make up that difference by taking supplements such as protein shakes or protein bars.

In my case I avoid sugar like the plague and try to limit some types of carbs (bread, rice, pasta) to one meal a day. Most veggies (greens) I do not constraints. It is just a matter of finding the veggies that appeal to you the most. Remember you can use fruits and veggies as snacks.

My “trick” is to cook the ends of the broccoli until done. Drain and cool
This I can put in a 1/2 of a new potato (russets are dry)
Or mix with scrambled eggs and a touch of cheese.< br /> I have made crustless quiche ....
sweet potato ....
Soup etc
I find it hard to get Fiber and greens in without this.
I love artichokes but it is the mayo I work on. Some times just the heart!!!
Good luck. I hope you find one or two options

Not sure what kind of Vitamins you are taking but for the longest time I was taking the wrong kind of vitamins.

Once you hit the amazing age of 51 you might want to look a Vitamin for seniors. I take the Kirkland Signature Mature multi vitamin which I cut in half, along with Vitamin D3 and fish oil.

Getting my greens in has always been difficult for meas well.

You have to learn to like some greens :) One power green is spinach and Kale. You can put them in eggs, cook in some brown rice and my favourite is blend them in some veggie Soup. Another trick is to buy some powdered Spirulina (has lot of great elements including iron) and mix it into food or drink, a smoothie is best. Also buy powdered moringa. Add those 2 supplements and those are good green ones.

Edited by BajanSleeve