Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a doctor's appointment in a couple hours where i plan on asking my doctor for a referral so I can get a VSG my bmi is 49.7 I'm 24 and my family keeps saying no they won't do it (we all have the same doc) I've decided that this is what I want to do but I'm scared of rejection

5 minutes ago, DVontesmommy1 said:

I have a doctor's appointment in a couple hours where i plan on asking my doctor for a referral so I can get a VSG my bmi is 49.7 I'm 24 and my family keeps saying no they won't do it (we all have the same doc) I've decided that this is what I want to do but I'm scared of rejection

Prepare before you go. Show your doctor the long-term survival statistics on obesity with/without surgery. This isn't about looking better in a bathing suit. This is about surviving to see your grandchildren. This is about avoiding diabetes and heart disease. This is about having a better, longer LIFE. Be prepared to PUSH for what you need. Good luck!

And if you happen to look better in a swimsuit, kudos to you!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

When I asked my PCM for the referral he was surprised but readily agreed to do It saying I met all the criteria for getting evaluated for bariatric surgery. It took him about 3 minutes to put it in his computer. It is really up to the surgeon to determine if you are a safe surgical risk and appropriate candidate. Good luck to you!!

I'm not a pushy person but I am prepared to switch doctors....the thing is this doctor has my history ive done HCG 4 times with no long term results I've tried weightwatchers,juicing.

Why would they say no? You are morbidly obese, do you have co-morbidities?

Just now, DVontesmommy1 said:

No I don't think so matt z

So no sleep apnea, pre-or actual diabetic, knee / hip issues etc?
Co-morbidities make it easier, but at 49.7, there really shouldn't be any reason to deny you.

3 minutes ago, DVontesmommy1 said:

I have bad back pain and my knees give out on me....I don't have diabetes but it runs in my family

If you need to make sure you add that "Family History" line to your reasoning/justification speech.
I wouldn't expect them to deny you, but I can empathize with the fear, I had my revision denied at first by my insurance for some bogus reasons... took me 6 months longer than it should to finally get my surgery approved.

Fingers crossed for you!

Good luck I hope you will join us. Your youth might be saying one thing but your BMI is shouting " Attention!" You are not too young to make such a change, don't take one no for an answer. If you want to talk,there are a lot of us on here more than will8ng. Keep us updated!

Good luck I hope you will join us. Your youth might be saying one thing but your BMI is shouting " Attention!" You are not too young to make such a change, don't take one no for an answer. If you want to talk,there are a lot of us on here more than will8ng. Keep us updated!
Update, she was way more onboard than I expected! I'm excited to begin my journey...she sent a referral to my insurance..what happens next?

Sent from my KFMEWI using BariatricPal mobile app

6 minutes ago, DVontesmommy1 said:

Update, she was way more onboard than I expected! I'm excited to begin my journey...she sent a referral to my insurance..what happens next?

Sent from my KFMEWI using BariatricPal mobile app

You become a warrior

This becomes your fight