Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning group!!! Well first of all I would like to say I enjoy this group and it takes away any second guessing and fear from me. I am depressed because I failed my marijuana test, I use for medicinal purposes instead of taking Norco all the time. I have not smoked since March and still failed my test now I have to wait 60 more days before I can retake the test. I was so hyped up about finally getting the test done and having my paperwork sent off to my insurance for approval that I didn't even think about the possibility of failing the test. So now here I am day 2 of 60 feeling depressed and anxious. Just needed to get that off my chest and I will keep reading posts here and try to stay positive

So sorry that your surgery is delayed. Take the extra time as a gift and use it to your long-term benefit. Having a "purpose" will help make the time go faster. Wean yourself off caffeine/sodas. It will make your transition easier. Start walking/exercising now. The better shape you're in when you have the surgery, the better you can expect your outcome to be. If you like to cook, collect recipes and try them out so that you've got an arsenal of healthy options available after your surgery. Check out support groups in your area. You may have more than one to choose from, or don't choose at all, go to all of them. Develop the habit of drinking plenty of liquids and taking Vitamins daily.

Good luck and hope all goes smoothly from here on out.

Want a gloomy blue jacket? I have one your size, because I've been trying since August 2015 to finish my own. CRY ON MY SHOULDER IF YOU WANT, I've cried so long myself I've mildewed. But you are not alone and I can be a faithful friend, okay? We'll get through this together and be stronger somehow for it.

I agree with Orchids here. Although this seems like a setback, use it to your best advantage.

Two months is going to fly by no matter how you spend your time!

1 hour ago, Thatsexy_67 said:

Good morning group!!! Well first of all I would like to say I enjoy this group and it takes away any second guessing and fear from me. I am depressed because I failed my marijuana test, I use for medicinal purposes instead of taking Norco all the time. I have not smoked since March and still failed my test now I have to wait 60 more days before I can retake the test. I was so hyped up about finally getting the test done and having my paperwork sent off to my insurance for approval that I didn't even think about the possibility of failing the test. So now here I am day 2 of 60 feeling depressed and anxious. Just needed to get that off my chest and I will keep reading posts here and try to stay positive

I'm confused why you were delayed... There is ZERO reason why you can't get the surgery if you use cannabis. I'm on Dronobinal, which is THC, and it wasn't even an issue with my surgery... If getting the medical card isn't something your state affords, you **CAN** get the "federally legal version" which is Marinol/Dronobinal (and it's covered by pretty much EVERY medical insurance) I get my script at CVS. So, CVS sells THC pills... I would be very curious as to why they are saying that using cannabis is such a negative thing with your surgery... I'm sure they'll state "munchies" but... that's a cop out.

19 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

I'm confused why you were delayed... There is ZERO reason why you can't get the surgery if you use cannabis. I'm on Dronobinal, which is THC, and it wasn't even an issue with my surgery... If getting the medical card isn't something your state affords, you **CAN** get the "federally legal version" which is Marinol/Dronobinal (and it's covered by pretty much EVERY medical insurance) I get my script at CVS. So, CVS sells THC pills... I would be very curious as to why they are saying that using cannabis is such a negative thing with your surgery... I'm sure they'll state "munchies" but... that's a cop out.

I do have a medical card, I believe the doctor is more concerned about smoking leading to ulcers and causing a problem with my sleeve afterwards and of course there was the mention of "munchies"...needless to say I was distraught!

5 minutes ago, Thatsexy_67 said:

I do have a medical card, I believe the doctor is more concerned about smoking leading to ulcers and causing a problem with my sleeve afterwards and of course there was the mention of "munchies"...needless to say I was distraught!

I'm confident that they can't prevent you from the surgery for a medication you are approved for, just because the doc is "afraid" of something that has no medical justification... I'd ask for medical documentation proving that smoked cannabis increases ulcers. When they can't provide it, ask again why your surgery is being delayed for an undocumented side effect. Sometimes you have to push the issue, ESP when you know that it's unfair. Sorry that this is happening, it really shouldn't be.

7 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

I'm confident that they can't prevent you from the surgery for a medication you are approved for, just because the doc is "afraid" of something that has no medical justification... I'd ask for medical documentation proving that smoked cannabis increases ulcers. When they can't provide it, ask again why your surgery is being delayed for an undocumented side effect. Sometimes you have to push the issue, ESP when you know that it's unfair. Sorry that this is happening, it really shouldn't be.

Thanks Matt Z!!! I will push the issue or look elsewhere. I was so ready and now I feel defeated but I will continue to use this time to work on my mind, find recipes, and DRINK MORE WATER!!!!

3 minutes ago, Thatsexy_67 said:

Thanks Matt Z!!! I will push the issue or look elsewhere. I was so ready and now I feel defeated but I will continue to use this time to work on my mind, find recipes, and DRINK MORE WATER!!!!

Yeah, you've got every right to be upset about that... it really doesn't make any sense. I mean, I legit take 10mg of THC nightly, no one had an issue. Good Luck! Keep us posted!

I am sorry they are putting you through this. I hope they change their minds, heaven knows I would have been denied if a cannabis test was administered on me!

Edited by YeahOkay31

It'll happen eventually! Just use this extra time to lose weight pre-op! I now wish that I would have stuck to my diet better pre-op cause I would have lost more!

Was this your surgeon denying you, or your insurance?

2 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Was this your surgeon denying you, or your insurance?

Surgeon

2 minutes ago, Thatsexy_67 said:

Surgeon

I would definitely get an appointment and speak to the surgeon directly then. I would be prepared, and document why you use cannabis and why it is a better alternative than opioids. I would also tell him that you vape, or use (low cal) edibles, or tinctures if his objection is to smoking. I would also look up any study you can on cannabis use and positive and negative effects and bring them with in a neat binder. Being an informed, empowered patient will get you further!