Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having trouble believing my stomach is gone

This is a bit weird but here goes. I'm having trouble believing my stomach is now a sleeve. I mean logically I know i've had this operation. I went to the hospital, there are scars etc. But something in my head can't process the idea that a big chunk of my stomach is gone. I can drink a lot of fluids and I'm often hungry, so maybe this has to do with it. I'm not sure.

Anyone felt the same before? Any ideas?

14 minutes ago, SydneySleever said:

This is a bit weird but here goes. I'm having trouble believing my stomach is now a sleeve. I mean logically I know i've had this operation. I went to the hospital, there are scars etc. But something in my head can't process the idea that a big chunk of my stomach is gone. I can drink a lot of fluids and I'm often hungry, so maybe this has to do with it. I'm not sure.

I can understand this. When I had my band put in... I really didn't believe it, outside of being able to feel the port, I wasn't sure. Now, with the bypass, I've got nothing to let me know that my stomach has been cut in 2 and my intestines are all changed. Well, outside of the weight loss, dumping syndrome and new Vitamin requirements.

It's odd, but changes without being able to see them.... it's understandable that anyone would be somewhat skeptical.

My surgeon did such a fantastic job i joke and say its almost like i never had surgery.

UNTIL I forget and try something too decadent and dump. And i have the sleeve...

Edited by Tealael

It's def weird, I felt very weird getting total knee replacement - having bones cut and metal parts. That you can feel at least lol, but poof 85% of your stomach, it's like David Cooperfield did a 'slight of hand' trick with a black tablecloth. Presto!

2 hours ago, SydneySleever said:

Quite a few people have commented that they felt like the surgeon didn't do anything, just sewed them back up. It's not until you start feeling the restriction (usually when you get to soft foods) that reality smacks you up the side of the head. ;)

4 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

It's not until you start feeling the restriction

yea nothin like looking at that 4th bite of food and going - ah never mind- then putting it down and just staring at that tiny plate with that tiny bit of food on it and not finishing it.

thats what really brought it home to me.

I also had a little bit of a "freak out" moment last week when the hospital posted the results of the biopsy done of the stomach tissue that the surgeon removed. It was described as "glistening, pink, healthy tissue". Yes, I'm thankful that it wasn't diseased... but it did freak me a little to think that I voluntarily removed most of a perfectly healthy organ.

I was sleeved on 5/18 and I truly DO feel hunger... but I'm learning not to fear that hunger... rather eat that small amount every two hours like my nutritionist suggested and never feel ravenous.

It's def weird, I felt very weird getting total knee replacement - having bones cut and metal parts. That you can feel at least lol, but poof 85% of your stomach, it's like David Cooperfield did a 'slight of hand' trick with a black tablecloth. Presto!

This is exactly how I feel. Sometimes I wish my abdomen could be see through for a moment so I could just see what's up in there.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

30 minutes ago, StrawberryLaray said:

This is exactly how I feel. Sometimes I wish my abdomen could be see through for a moment so I could just see what's up in there.

I have pictures my surgeon gave me of mine if u wanna see. 😆 can’t imagine it is much different.

I have pictures my surgeon gave me of mine if u wanna see. [emoji38] can’t imagine it is much different.

Yes! Yes!

Warning ***** graphic******don’t look if you are sensitive *****

one black line points to the new sleeve, the other my old stomach

9507D37F-3C5B-4FEA-86EF-7E401AAA72F3.jpeg

Edited by YeahOkay31

I asked both of my sons it they would come in and video tape it. Sadly both said no. Would be proof though.

I have said to my surgeon more than once that I feel like I never had a sleeve surgery. I have been blessed to have no vomiting, no dumping, etc. I almost feel like I wish I had that restriction so it would reinforce my new eating habits. I feel great and logically I know I had the surgery but with little side effects and I was stalled for a few weeks I was questioning the surgery.

I know that I feel the same way. I can meet both my Protein goals and Water intake pretty easily, so I feel like nothing has changed yet. Maybe when I move on to solid food next week??

Edited by Buddy Warren