Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plus Size Clothing

Rant here ....

Why are there separate plus size clothing manufactures and separate regular size clothing manufacturers?

I'm about to start needing regular sizes, which should be great, right? BUT, my favorite clothes are made by plus size companies, and don't go below a size 14. Shopping has been so easy for me for years now. I have my favorite brands of work slacks, work dresses, and jeans, I just order online. As I've lost weight I just have been ordering progressively smaller sizes. But now, since I can't order below a size 14, I'm going to have to venture into to the department store and start all over and find new favorite brands. Ugh, quite honestly I don't have the time or patience for it.

1 minute ago, sillykitty said:

Rant here ....

Why are there separate plus size clothing manufactures and separate regular size clothing manufacturers?

I'm about to start needing regular sizes, which should be great, right? BUT, my favorite clothes are made by plus size companies, and don't go below a size 14. Shopping has been so easy for me for years now. I have my favorite brands of work slacks, work dresses, and jeans, I just order online. As I've lost weight I just have been ordering progressively smaller sizes. But now, since I can't order below a size 14, I'm going to have to venture into to the department store and start all over and find new favorite brands. Ugh, quite honestly I don't have the time or patience for it.

There's a problem I would love to have 😂

6 minutes ago, Chrisb428 said:

There's a problem I would love to have 😂

You will soon!

1 minute ago, Tealael said:

I agree, it feels like a conspiracy and dont even get me started on the undergarment industry...

Oh no .... I haven't even shopped undergarments yet!

I like Dress Barn for dress slacks and dresses. And Christoher Banks for tops and sweaters.

Ah Sosewsue I have little culture so I like Just My Size, Lane Bryant and the Cracker Factory on Home Shopping. That said, it will be my consummate joy to delete the first 2 for boutique type places. Did you know both JMS and WallyWorld are marketing a 0,Woman's size- equates to size 14- guess they are sorry to see us go, notice I didn't say repentant just sorry!

Funny! One thing for you - those favourite brands - maybe in part because so few companies make plus sizes. So now you have many brands at your disposal, for your new different shape...

I am experimenting with work clothes that are coloured, not black. Yay!

And I am having to resist “oh, it fits, I will buy it” which was the rule when I was bit. Now everything fits - so I have to work out what suits me, flatters, hugs the right curves etc. I quite like that journey!

14 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Oh no .... I haven't even shopped undergarments yet!

That's the first thing I did - was go to Victoria's Secret to get properly measured for a bra. I am now happily a 36DD :) I'm sure that will continue to go down and I'm ok with that. But it was so nice to be able to buy a bra that actually fit!

For me, the styles I used to wear at size 20 no longer are flattering at a size 12 - so I have to try everything on.

Another strange thing - depending on what brand you're shopping - all sizes are not the same. A size 12 in one brand may be a size 10 in another - or 14 in another! The dressing room has now become my best friend!

And I admit, shopping is fun now - everything fits. And it always makes me smile when I have to ask the sales lady for a smaller size *grin*

I also have this issue. I needed new bras and was laughed out of Torrid when they measured me :( Torrid used to be me go to store. Victorias Secret though I do love there bras now and are currently having their semi annual sale! I have no clue where to shop for regular clothes without torrid in my life anymore.

@Sosewsue61 Thanks for the tip on Dress Barn, I think there is one near my mom's house. I'll have to check them out. I've never seen a Christopher Banks locally though.

@Frustr8 My favorite dress brand is City Chic. Their plus size sizing goes from XS to XL. I'm now fitting into XS, which is they say is equivalent to size 14. Talk about vanity sizing!

@Biddy zz Exciting! I'm glad you're enjoying the shopping experience. I'm a devoted online shopper, so I really loathe to go to a mall and find new brands that fit and flatter me!

@Roxine So far I have kept the same shape, it has just shrunk. So it has been easy for me to just size down on my favorite brands. I am excited though after my Tummy Tuck to wear sheath style dresses instead of fit & flare, or wrap around! It'll be nice to not have to always worry about hiding the tummy!

Re: Bras ... I am just about needing new ones, ugh. The band still fits, just on a smaller notch, but the cups are gaping a bit. Not where I wanted to lose weight, but to be expected. I have though been able to fit into my "pretty bras" without a band extender. I was measured for them years ago, and they were too tight even back then. But unfortunately they may be pretty, but they are scratchy, so not an everyday solution!

42 minutes ago, Krista27 said:

I also have this issue. I needed new bras and was laughed out of Torrid when they measured me :( Torrid used to be me go to store. Victorias Secret though I do love there bras now and are currently having their semi annual sale! I have no clue where to shop for regular clothes without torrid in my life anymore.

I've been shopping at Loft and Ann Taylor. Dress Barn also has some nice choices for summer - particularly dresses and skirts. I love that I can walk into any store now and try on clothes :)

All very good ideas, Thank You my Bari-sisters for all you do!👕👖😛👚👖