Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perspectives on Losing Fast & Slow

I have had such a range of emotions. Even though, I've lost over a 100lbs in 4 months, I can't see a big change most of the time. I've only budged 2 pant sizes. I'm holding a lot in my stomach. I find myself gravitating towards bigger clothes because I feel more "successful" in them.

I have 47lb to go before I reach my initial goal set by the surgeon, 180lbs . Overall, 77lbs to go if I'm to get into a "healthy" BMI, 150lbs.

32 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I’m a bypass patient and my loss is pretty slow. I’m at 100 pounds lost in 6 months and I’ve seen people at my starting weight lose 100 pounds in three months. I do get discouraged. Statistically speaking it’s tough to read things like only 20 percent of patients that started at my weight make it to goal.

My family is so proud of me right now though. And I try to think of where I was this time last year, how miserable and hopeless things seemed, and you know what. I don’t care if it takes me two years to lose this weight. I don’t care if I lose weight slower than any other bypass patient. The bottom line is will it be the fastest I’ve ever lost 190 pounds? And the answer to that is yes.

I feel you 100%! If I loose all the intended weight, I'll have lost 180lbs, over half my body weight at a goal of 150lbs.

Sometimes I hate to comment because I feel like there are folks out there who just want to say, “STFU!” But, I know my road is going to be long. I have relatively little to lose but it feels like a mountain to climb for me. When I read how quickly others are losing, I truly have to remind myself their journey is not mine and many would likely rather be in my shoes. It doesn’t make my journey any easier. That said, I do appreciate everyone here. You are kind and compassionate. And, you understand that three weeks post op, sitting on only 12lbs lost is just as frustrating for me at 168lbs as a 20 pound loss would be for someone who started out substantially higher in weight on sleeve day.

3 minutes ago, Screwballski said:

Sometimes I hate to comment because I feel like there are folks out there who just want to say, “STFU!” But, I know my road is going to be long. I have relatively little to lose but it feels like a mountain to climb for me. When I read how quickly others are losing, I truly have to remind myself their journey is not mine and many would likely rather be in my shoes. It doesn’t make my journey any easier. That said, I do appreciate everyone here. You are kind and compassionate. And, you understand that three weeks post op, sitting on only 12lbs lost is just as frustrating for me at 168lbs as a 20 pound loss would be for someone who started out substantially higher in weight on sleeve day.

Hi Karen,

I started out at 332, a BMI in the 50's, and my doctor set an expectation of 3-5lbs per week. You are loosing 4lbs per week on average. This is really good. This process doesn't happen overnight. Keep up the good work, you should be very proud.

I have struggled with perspective myself. I alternate between being logical, this is the fastest weight I've ever lost and being impatient, like during the stall I'm in right now.

What's the hurry, one poster asked? Well for me, it's plastics. I have a very tight work travel schedule. I have a window I have carved out near the end of the year, so I can have and recover from plastic surgery. I HAVE to be at or very near goal at that time, or else I'm not sure when I will be able to afford the time to have the surgery.

One thing that has helped me keep perspective recently, is how the weight is coming off of my body. I'm feeling more confident in my clothes than I have in a very long time. If I do say so myself, my butt looks fantastic in a pair of jeans!

Thank you for sharing that. That's really helpful. I don't have my surgery date yet but I'm in the last leg of my approval process and i know my process will be a long road too. When i attended the class for the RNY surgery i felt uncomfortable just because i felt others were wondering why are you here. I am a revision patient due to GERD and the damage it's caused internally. I need to lose at least 90lbs and to me that's a significant amount. But to others not so much. So i fully understand that we all have different journeys. I guess the important thing is to know your journey, don't get discourage when others lose weight at a faster pace than us and Celebrate each accomplishment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

On 6/5/2018 at 8:01 AM, Tealael said:

Medically necessary

ANY amount of weight lost will be improving your health. Studies show even 5% of excess weight lost can show significant improvement with many weight related problems. I was taken off my high blood pressure medication 3 weeks post op.

I'm happy with even 1lb of weight loss. It's more weight loss than I would have had without the surgery. I'll get to my goal.... eventually.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I often wonder how many people that get WLS have dieted and lost weight before? Me? I've lost and gained 50, 60, 70 pounds 3 or 4 times.

Sure, the losses with WLS can be quicker, especially in the beginning. But after the initial large losses, the amount of weight lost for most seems to be on par with normal dieting, which if done in a healthy way should be 2-5 pounds a week.

I honestly don't know where everyone gets their unrealistic expectations?

There are a lot of different people here doing this for a lot of different reasons , some are more time sensitive. My expectations were not unrealistic, my frustration comes from needing to reach a certain point by a deadline agreed on by my practitioner

I really didn't expect my weight loss to go so fast.

I also did not expect to be this successful.

I figured I'd be one of the very typical middle of the road average sleeve patients who lose 65% of their excess weight. I figured I'd stall out at 205...and that sounded great to me. 205 is a hell of a lot healthier than 270!

Six months out, and I'm losing slow and steady. Made it into the 170's. Seems crazy to me, and really wonderful.

I'd rather go slower and give my skin time to catch up. No hurry here at all.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:40 AM, Greensleevie said:

What's the rush?

I took the opportunity to learn about nutrition and exercise along the way in order to actually KEEP the weight I lost off, which over 50% of us will fail to do. That is far more important than how quickly it comes off.

Perspective is important.

Best comment!!!!

I’m gaining and just mad and disappointed in myself. I am almost a year out have lost a total of 30#s. Help!!!

6 hours ago, Tealael said:

There are a lot of different people here doing this for a lot of different reasons , some are more time sensitive. My expectations were not unrealistic, my frustration comes from needing to reach a certain point by a deadline agreed on by my practitioner

If your practitioner is pressuring you to lose a certain amount of weight by a specific deadline, they are being highly unprofessional and unrealistic. Its great to give you goals, but not at the expense of making you feel like a complete failure because you didn't live up to their expectations. It's ridiculous. They should be thrilled with any and all progress you are making.

I'm trying to understand what is so time sensitive about your health without prying? Are you awaiting an organ transplant or medical procedure you have to lose a certain amount of weight for? If so, I definitely understand the concern, but if you are doing everything you can possibly do, you're going to lose at the rate your body wants to lose. Why stress yourself out about it? And your surgeons or doctors certainly shouldn't be stressing you out about it, either.