Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you drink watermelon juice post op gastric sleeve?

I’m 4 days post op from gastric sleeve surgery , I’m 220 pounds and They told me to drink light juice for 2 weeks and I was just wondering if it’s okay to blend watermelon and strain it so the juice has no Fiber and drink it? My friend whom also had the surgery a year ago said that the hospital actually recommended watermelon juice for the first two weeks

04BB1AA6-EB1D-4F7B-9DD3-B3A07CD6627F.jpeg

Just call your surgeon's office and ask.

@Tiima I'm going to go with yes. But watch the calorie intake. Not sure why you would want to strain, your body needs fiber, so getting some fiber isn't going to be bad for you right now, ESP if it's so easy to get as just drinking some watermelon puree. I was allowed watermelon pre-op on my "liquid only" diet, I don't see any reason why it would be prohibited post-op, when you've already stated that juice was approved. Not really going to get more fresh and "light" than raw unprocessed nothing added home made juices.

That's funny, this was the #1 thing my surgeon said to avoid. It's pure sugar. Aside from the carbs, it is famous for causing dumping syndrome. If you do it, stay close to a toilet.

2 hours ago, BigViffer said:

That's funny, this was the #1 thing my surgeon said to avoid. It's pure sugar. Aside from the carbs, it is famous for causing dumping syndrome. If you do it, stay close to a toilet.

My doctor told me that dumping syndrome doesn’t happen in gastric sleeve

4 hours ago, Matt Z said:

@Tiima I'm going to go with yes. But watch the calorie intake. Not sure why you would want to strain, your body needs Fiber, so getting some fiber isn't going to be bad for you right now, ESP if it's so easy to get as just drinking some watermelon puree. I was allowed watermelon pre-op on my "liquid only" diet, I don't see any reason why it would be prohibited post-op, when you've already stated that juice was approved. Not really going to get more fresh and "light" than raw unprocessed nothing added home made juices.

I’m scared to eat anything. I take about two to three hours just to drink a 200ml Protein Shake.

5 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Just call your surgeon's office and ask.

I’m in a foreign country 😂

1 hour ago, Tiima said:

A drastic spike in blood sugar or fats can cause mild symptoms in an otherwise normal person. However a person who has had surgery on their stomach; not just WLS, can dump. Drooling, sweating, vomiting, explosive diarrhea... all the greatest hits! True Dumping Syndrome is something only people who have had some sort of gastric related surgery, but even someone who has never had surgery can experience the symptoms. I have experienced it a few times, but never on the same thing twice. Once you experience it, you will be gun-shy ever after.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:51 AM, Tiima said:

Gastric sleeve patients can experience dumping syndrome. It's like someone said above, it can actually happen to anyone but occurs most frequently in those who have had gastric surgery.

I was told no fruit juice due to sugar content. If you can't call your surgeon what about email or maybe they gave you paperwork with listed do's and dont's?

Good luck either way!!!