Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take you guys to be up and walking without major pain or discomfort? I am having surgery on Wednesday and plan to be back at work the following Monday.

I got up the second they gave me the okay. Did two laps around the floor. No discomfort at all. The next walk (every two hours after) I did three laps, independently. They helped unhook me and sent me on my way. Honestly, it was that painless.
I wish the very same for you!

Had my rny today about 9 hrs ago and got up and walked about 8:30 and then again a few minutes ago I did two laps. Sitting up and or walking feels much better then laying in bed. Helps get rid of the gas pain which is what really is the discomfort.

Edited by leea

I was walking around same day. The hospital I was at had a lovely little recovery garden that made it more compelling. I was planning to go back to work after a week but postponed because while I could walk and was mobile, I was exhausted and could really feel I needed a break to recover. I’m half way through my second week off.

I’m up and walking around the ward. No nice outdoor area where I am. Most of the discomfort is from the gas. I do have a sore tummy, I’m taking pain relief for that

Same here already took two laps at 5 am and sitting in the chair. Still a little gas but not nearly as bad. Woke up with a nasty headache probably from yesterday's drugs. Rny 6/4/2018

9 hours ago, BrookeR said:

How long did it take you guys to be up and walking without major pain or discomfort? I am having surgery on Wednesday and plan to be back at work the following Monday.

You'll be up and walking shortly after you come out of surgery. Then you'll be up and walking pretty much every hour you aren't asleep.

I was a bit of a hunchback for about 5 days after surgery. After that I was ok

I woke up about 10 minutes after my VSG. 😂 I kind of freaked the surgery staff out with how quickly I woke up. I was transferred to my room within an hour and 30 minutes after that I was up walking. The gas pain was AWFUL for me. I ended up walking the floor the entire day and night because laying down sucked. And I was also bored. I never slept. I just walked. By the time I was released at 11:00 the next morning I had zero gas pain.

I was walking within a few hours of my surgery. I am on Day 13 and I now do about 11k steps throughout the day. I gradually worked up to that.

I was working out pretty consistently before surgery so that may have made a difference.

Took me over 24 hours to walk at all and at first I had to use a walker. I had intense, awful, ripping belly pain for about a week post-op. By 3 days post-op I could walk without pain, just had to go through the pain of standing up first haha. Everyone's different.