Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still not managing to eat or drink enough.

I had my surgery on the 15th and I am still not managing nearly enough Water and i am barely getting down an ounce and a half of babyfood Beans or peas. I am starting to worry that something is wrong i can't drink more than maybe 3 ounces of water without feeling super full and forget Protein in the water I feel stuffed instantly.

Some advice would be welcome.

I could never do the protien in Water i skipped straight to premium protien shakes. First couple times I did add water to them to thin them down. You might try that with the baby food also gradually I got were I could eat without thinning.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

My very first post to BP was ~ 2..5 weeks after my VSG (2013). That was my complaint: "I can't drink enough water."

But do what you can. Your stomach is smaller, and also still swollen from being "jacked with" (not a medical term). But over time, after the healing occurs and the edema goes away, you will get in the liquids. For now, small sips, as tolerated. (Later I leveled out at ~ 4oz a time. I try to not push that amount of liquid now, though I can tolerate more.)

Don't panic. Sip what you can. sugar-free popsicles may be good to try, as well.

if you sip 1/2 oz every 5 minutes thats 6 oz per hour and 8 hrs later tada ya drank your Water. you dont have to get a cetain amount each drink just work it small all the time it comes out the same in the end.

water first

Protein second

all others when you can as you can.

in this first month you will not and can not actually starve to death so don't worry about food.

you can however dehydrate and damage your recovery so make that job one.

good luck

everyday will get easier even if it takes a while before you realize it

Everything @allwet said.

Also, your Protein Drinks and other liquids count toward your Water intake goals. I could never drink straight water, so I drank Bone Broth, crystal light, and tea. I also did Protein Water and shakes. Remember, when you are on liquids, you don't have to worry about stopping drinking 30 before, 30 after rule. Its not until you get to the purred stage that you need to stop drinking before and after. Which, it sounds like you may be there now. I would add unflavored protein to your Soup or baby food. It will help you hit the goals for the day. And drinking is a full day challenge. You have to sip ALL day long. Even when I would go take a shower, I would leave my water bottle on the bathroom counter.

Skip the baby food. Make sure you get your Water in first and do Protein Shakes second. If you go with Premier Protein then you can get most if not all of your Protein from 2 of those a day.

Ditto on the small sips at a time ALL DAY LONG. I even keep a small glass of Water on my nightstand and may have a sip or two if I wake up. I also diluted the Premier shakes with Decaf or hot water which makes them much easier to take---it still took me at least an hour to get one down. I now have about 1/2 of one in my morning coffee since I refuse to use powdered Creamer. Jello, sugar free popsicles, Powerade Zero and Crystal Light also can count as water intake.

First pureed foods I tried were baked chicken breast, steamed cauliflower and cottage cheese. Baked the chicken in broth and seasoning and then added broth, plain greek yogurt, and Duke's mayo to the food processer bowl until it came out like a moist paste. Too dry does not work. Steamed cauliflower for about 12 minutes until really soft then added some "lite butter" and Montreal Steak seasoning and this is like garlic mashed potatoes. I have also tried baked salmon (yum), canned tuna (meh), green Beans (meh). Baking up some cod fillets right now.

These foods worked great for me, I still have 10 days on pureed to go. At first I only put a tablespoon on the plate and have increased slowly to about 1/4 to 1/3 cup per meal. I take very small bites, savor them and swallow. No idea why but my program says no baby food, no Soups.

Edited by MIZ60

Same here but I had my VSG on 5/10. My surgeon says to hydrate over Protein right now. I already had to be admitted to the ER once for dehydration. I try to get at least 40g of protein per day and sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t. I’m not too stressed about it. I had a rough patch where eating anything made me vomit so I’ve been back on liquids for 10 days. Just started soft foods again yesterday and now it’s going really well.
Like my NUT says, you can live 3 weeks without food, but only 3 days without Water.< /p>

Goody you are feeling better,my favorite Tarheel puppy is going to be okay again!🐶

On 6/3/2018 at 6:24 PM, lorax said:

I had my surgery on the 15th and I am still not managing nearly enough Water and i am barely getting down an ounce and a half of babyfood Beans or peas. I am starting to worry that something is wrong i can't drink more than maybe 3 ounces of Water without feeling super full and forget Protein in the water I feel stuffed instantly.

Some advice would be welcome.

Shouldn't you still be on liquids only after only 15 days post-op? I thought sleeves had a full month of liquids only?

47 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Shouldn't you still be on liquids only after only 15 days post-op? I thought sleeves had a full month of liquids only?

If there's one thing I've learned it's that there are as many post-op programs as there are bariatric surgeons, lol. Sometimes I'm shocked seeing people 2-3 days post-op eating purees or even soft foods... but as long as it's what their surgeon recommended, none of my business, haha.

1 minute ago, Little Green said:

If there's one thing I've learned it's that there are as many post-op programs as there are bariatric surgeons, lol. Sometimes I'm shocked seeing people 2-3 days post-op eating purees or even soft foods... but as long as it's what their surgeon recommended, none of my business, haha.

Yup, nothing has really changed since I joined back in 2011 LOL