Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I've posted about this already but I am getting so depressed and frustrated. I have had pretty constant and moderate to severe nausea for over 2 weeks now. I'm 6.5 weeks post op! I was fine (mostly) before! I'm not really vomiting, but occasionally do. I hate the thought of eating or drinking, it repulse me, but I choke down food and I try to get at least 24+ oz of fluids and the past 3-4 days got 70 grams of Protein, mostly with the help of protein supplements. I still feel hunger, it's not head hunger, but it's rare. I've stalled again!

2 days ago my hands up to my wrists were numb and tingly, yes I did call the surgeon and my pcp and my dietician. -Dehydration, possibly. My surgeon says I could be a bug, it's been 2 weeks, I had a follow-up with my pcp, she put me on compazine, nope does not work. Now Tigan- terrible. The patch doesn't work nor does zofran. I've tried ginger every way possible (no soda though, no way) , sea bands, Dramamine, acupressure, essential oils, meds, magnet therapy, mint tea.

anyone else deal with this "pop up" nausea? How long did it last? Should I try my surgeon AGAIN? Because really, he doesn't seem to care. "Keep drinking and get your protein" they say. I'm trying! I'm SO nauseous ! Plus I can't drive anywhere because of these meds so basically i never take them. Anyone? Anoyone? Bueller?

I noticed you don't have Cannabis listed as an attempt to stop your nausea. You seem to have tried everything else, if Medical Cannabis isn't available you can try Marinol (Dronobinal) which is the "legal" prescription version of THC (I'm on it for sleep issues), it doesn't have all the extra benefits that you'd get with Cannabis from the CBD's, like reduction in swelling or muscle and pain easement, but it does quell nausea.

With being at the end of options, it's worth talking to your PCP or Surgical Team about trying it if it's something you are willing to try.

Actually, that was my next thing I was going to try. I hate smoking pot, I dislike the smell the taste, etc. But I've used edibles for my chronic Migraines before I was puts on a beta blocker. So I'm actually having my husband try to get me an edible. I use CBD oil, it doesn't help. And for such a hippie green state like Vermont, you'd think it would be fairly easy to get a medical card.....Nope. My doctor is a witch (currently looking for a new one) she won't give me that script. I asked for promethazine instead of compazine and she just gavd me something else even after I told her I thought promethazine worked before! It's not like I was asking for narcotics! I can ask the surgeon next week but I think he's on vacation. :(

I am 4 weeks out and have had nausea daily. Some days worse than others.
I recently stopped all my Vitamins, and it seems to have helped some. But not totally.
Clinic keeps telling me it’s normal, but rare and it will eventually go away.
Can’t give me a time frame of how long it will take to resolve.

46 minutes ago, magpie26 said:

Actually, that was my next thing I was going to try. I hate smoking pot, I dislike the smell the taste, etc. But I've used edibles for my chronic Migraines before I was puts on a beta blocker. So I'm actually having my husband try to get me an edible. I use CBD oil, it doesn't help. And for such a hippie green state like Vermont, you'd think it would be fairly easy to get a medical card.....Nope. My doctor is a witch (currently looking for a new one) she won't give me that script. I asked for promethazine instead of compazine and she just gavd me something else even after I told her I thought promethazine worked before! It's not like I was asking for narcotics! I can ask the surgeon next week but I think he's on vacation. :(

Talk to your doc about Marinol/Dronobinal, it's covered under pretty much every medical, you get it a your typical pharmacy (CVS, etc) so she might be more willing to let you try it since it's "federally approved" even though it's just little THC pills. That's a tough situation to be stuck in... I hope it gets better soon!

My heart goes out to you so very much. I just had a stent placed in my stomach for stricture 1 week ago and the nausea is so terrible I can't work. It will be there for 6 weeks! I find myself just sitting staring into space sometimes because the Zofran and the Scop patch are making me dizzy and loopy and down in the dumps. I can't drive anywhere and I don't even trust myself to take walks alone because my legs feel noodley.

I wish the very best too you and I know exactly how hard it is to deal with constant nausea.

6 hours ago, BurBur said:

My heart goes out to you so very much. I just had a stent placed in my stomach for stricture 1 week ago and the nausea is so terrible I can't work. It will be there for 6 weeks! I find myself just sitting staring into space sometimes because the Zofran and the Scop patch are making me dizzy and loopy and down in the dumps. I can't drive anywhere and I don't even trust myself to take walks alone because my legs feel noodley.

I wish the very best too you and I know exactly how hard it is to deal with constant nausea.

It's just so hard. You're doing so well (ok, kinda, mostly) and BAM! Out of nowhere this nausea and I'm the beginning some vomiting show up right when you get to the point where life starts to be "normalish" like I could actually cut the chicken up I ate and have it with my family.

out of the hospital i was in terrible pain for 3 almost 4 weeks, I get feeling better for a few days and then this happened. They said practically no one has much pain and rarely used their meds. Lies! And I'm sooo not a wimp! And now brushing this off without even seeing me or even the PA talking to me is infuriatin . I know TONS of us go through THIS, but idk give a gal some hope. Today was one of my first days I actually made my Fluid goal EVER! AND still wanted to puke every sip. But @Matt Z I will write that down and talk to my surgeon. I know my PCP won't budge on things. I've been looking for a new one for awhile. When I told her I needed a referral for the bariatric clinic she point blank looked at me and said, "you KNOW, over 50% of bariatric patients just gain all the weight back again plus more." I'm trying to find a statistic to prove her wrong. If not, I WILL prove her wrong! I'm just so frustrated. I bet you my psych NP is more likely to prescribe that than anyone else, she will say it's for sleep. I see her in like 4 days

7 hours ago, magpie26 said:

It's just so hard. You're doing so well (ok, kinda, mostly) and BAM! Out of nowhere this nausea and I'm the beginning some vomiting show up right when you get to the point where life starts to be "normalish" like I could actually cut the chicken up I ate and have it with my family.

out of the hospital i was in terrible pain for 3 almost 4 weeks, I get feeling better for a few days and then this happened. They said practically no one has much pain and rarely used their meds. Lies! And I'm sooo not a wimp! And now brushing this off without even seeing me or even the PA talking to me is infuriatin . I know TONS of us go through THIS, but idk give a gal some hope. Today was one of my first days I actually made my Fluid goal EVER! AND still wanted to puke every sip. But @Matt Z I will write that down and talk to my surgeon. I know my PCP won't budge on things. I've been looking for a new one for awhile. When I told her I needed a referral for the bariatric clinic she point blank looked at me and said, "you KNOW, over 50% of bariatric patients just gain all the weight back again plus more." I'm trying to find a statistic to prove her wrong. If not, I WILL prove her wrong! I'm just so frustrated. I bet you my psych NP is more likely to prescribe that than anyone else, she will say it's for sleep. I see her in like 4 days

Gee your PCP sounds like a peach... yeah find another one as soon as you can. I'm the same measurements as you and when I told my PCP I wanted surgery she was like praise God hallelujah at last... well not using those words but that was her reaction.. LOL... I hope you feel better soon.

Just a thought ... I am preop right now but that is one of my biggest concerns and I talk to my doctor about it and they said they have not had anyone in their office with long-term nausea unless there was another cars and they mention gallbladder problems & I also saw it mentioned here on the forum somewhere I believe .. I really really hope you get relief... since my lap band was removed 4 years ago I have suffered with nausea off & on NO way to live !!! Please let us know how you are!

*cause not cars

Do you think you might be a little dehydrated? Seems crazy with all fluids we have to drink but you have to get a minimum of 40 oz a day preferably 60. I know I get nauseous when I don’t drink enough. Our bodies are very different know.

Now not know

23 hours ago, jenpa said:

Just a thought ... I am preop right now but that is one of my biggest concerns and I talk to my doctor about it and they said they have not had anyone in their office with long-term nausea unless there was another cars and they mention gallbladder problems & I also saw it mentioned here on the forum somewhere I believe .. I really really hope you get relief... since my lap band was removed 4 years ago I have suffered with nausea off & on NO way to live !!! Please let us know how you are!

Yesterday was really good! I feel like every time I complain about it, it goes away...then comes back lol! No but yesterday was really good. And dehydration is an issue, I was getting over 20 oz but it's definitely not enough. I'm bumping it up as much as I can everyday. I've been getting over 36 lately, still not enough but more. My issues are: when I feel terrible I take a snooze, can't drink then and when I eat I'm full for literally 2 hours (over an hour at least) and I can't drink. I set timers for Water all day AND after my meals and I'm STILL TOO FULL! I don't do caffeine Idk it's annoying, BUT IM hoping that this feeling better trend will stick. Now to get rid of this cold!!

2 hours ago, magpie26 said:

Yesterday was really good! I feel like every time I complain about it, it goes away...then comes back lol! No but yesterday was really good. And dehydration is an issue, I was getting over 20 oz but it's definitely not enough. I'm bumping it up as much as I can everyday. I've been getting over 36 lately, still not enough but more. My issues are: when I feel terrible I take a snooze, can't drink then and when I eat I'm full for literally 2 hours (over an hour at least) and I can't drink. I set timers for Water all day AND after my meals and I'm STILL TOO FULL! I don't do caffeine Idk it's annoying, BUT IM hoping that this feeling better trend will stick. Now to get rid of this cold!!

maybe you can take a step back from solids for a bit while you try to get your Fluid volume back up, if they are preventing you from drinking enough? Stick with some quality Gelatin rich blended Soups and Water and Protein water for a couple of days and see if the increased hydration decreases the nausea? It looks like you had a much better day right after making your water target the previous day?

I really hope this improves for you soon. I recently experienced 2 days of nausea myself at the 4 weeks post op mark, and it made me struggle to get many calories or fluids in. Only afterwards did I figure it was likely caused by a lot of post nasal drip overnight messing with my tummy, as I'd only just stopped using an otrivin sinus spray at night that I'd needed for whole the previous week while I had a nasty cold (thanks for bringing that one home to me and the kids hubby :wacko: )

Acid reflux medication maybe? For fluids try sf popsicles or weak Decaf tea, room temp flavored water. So sorry for your struggle.

Definitely get a new PCP, good luck. Ask your surgeon for a recommendation maybe.