Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Adding to the list.

Necroposting.
The whole, reviving long dead posts by answering them for no reason. Like, answering a post that was created in 2010, for a user that hasn't logged in since 2012... those posts should remain dead posts.

I almost wish posts with no updates for a certain amount of time (like years) should be locked for archival and prevent future postings for that one topic.

You won the internet this morning. Congratulations! :453_military_medal:

My only complaint about this app is the amount of negativity and rude comments. This should be a positive place for helping people. There are people from all different backgrounds/education levels/etc who genuinely need help and it’s super disappointing to read this stuff. There is so much information to know and understand right out of the gate before and after surgery that those questions should not be “annoying” or “searched before asking”. After time goes past I’m sure you forget what it was like and all the questions you had but please be kind to those asking the same question.

1 hour ago, JulieL123 said:

My only complaint about this app is the amount of negativity and rude comments. This should be a positive place for helping people. There are people from all different backgrounds/education levels/etc who genuinely need help and it’s super disappointing to read this stuff. There is so much information to know and understand right out of the gate before and after surgery that those questions should not be “annoying” or “searched before asking”. After time goes past I’m sure you forget what it was like and all the questions you had but please be kind to those asking the same question.

9 times out of 10, searching answers the questions being asked... that's why searching should be your first step in finding answers before posting. This way, the site doesn't get clogged up with the same questions over and over and over (which is exactly what's happening). Pretty sure most folks here (those of us that stuck around) are quite accommodating with providing answers, even to those questions asked a million times. I've been around, on and off, since 2011. I've seen the exact same question get asked more times than I care to count.

That said, this side of the forums (rants and raves section), and this thread (SMH), are *ALL* about venting frustrations.

Edited by Matt Z

Some of the most helpful people on this forum (it's actually a web forum that you can choose to access through an app) are participating in this thread and blowing off a little bit of steam, in between answering the same questions over and over again. It's in the "Rants and Raves" area of the forum, not on one of the main question-asking areas. I don't think they're doing anything wrong.

And I say this as someone who has just gone through the surgery, last week. I remember so very well what questions, issues, and concerns someone undergoing this surgery has--I'm still going through many of them. (Like will this dang gurgling ever stop because I feel constantly hungry? The answer, by the way--because I started researching before I let someone cut me, and I've paid attention, and I've done some forum searching of my own--is that it varies by person, but by the time I get to normal foods it should have settled down, mostly. If I'm lucky, it might settle down sooner.)

I'm (still) annoyed at all of the doctors who under-prepare their patients, but more and more, I'm noticing that people seem to want to have their own little thread about their issue, rather than just reading what's going on before they ask so they can participate in the existing threads about exactly the same thing, often happening at exactly the same time. (Which would, by the way, make every thread more valuable--more perspectives! more people encountering the same thing!) And when they get their answer, they don't always seem to acknowledge that the people who answer are volunteering their time, for free (or for very small incentives at the store, I guess, which is a really nice thing, btw), and on top of that maybe are also just random people who won't have all the answers.

(Sorry, Very Helpful People In This Thread, but you -- we! -- really are all just randos, at the end of the day. And until someone's read multiple of our posts, they are going to have a hard time pulling apart what is our own individual bias versus what is actually probably applicable to them. All the more reason people should do a little reading before they post.)

22 hours ago, CrankyMagpie said:

(Sorry, Very Helpful People In This Thread, but you -- we! -- really are all just randos, at the end of the day. And until someone's read multiple of our posts, they are going to have a hard time pulling apart what is our own individual bias versus what is actually probably applicable to them. All the more reason people should do a little reading before they post.)

You aren't a rando, Magpie :778_heartbeat:

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, Matt Z said:

Adding to the list.

Necroposting.
The whole, reviving long dead posts by answering them for no reason. Like, answering a post that was created in 2010, for a user that hasn't logged in since 2012... those posts should remain dead posts.

I almost wish posts with no updates for a certain amount of time (like years) should be locked for archival and prevent future postings for that one topic.

freaking guilty... sometimes I'm not paying close enough attention...

3 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

freaking guilty... sometimes I'm not paying close enough attention...

There are cases were it's just a mistake... but there are some folks that go to the depths of this site and necro a post from over 10+ years ago... that, is absurd.

I may be a semi-newbie.... but here is my rant, and if it's already been posted... apologies....

The people that start multiple new threads for every single ailment, complaint, etc... I feel like they just want their name in the headlines as starting a new thread.

That is all...

On 10/9/2018 at 10:26 AM, JulieL123 said:

A lot of us ranting here about annoyances never answer the posts that annoy us, or doing so rudely. But rants and raves really need to remain a safe space for venting, appropriately, without a lot of moderation.

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, JulieL123 said:

talk to me after a few thousand posts/replies....

On 10/9/2018 at 9:12 AM, Matt Z said:

Adding to the list.

Necroposting.

You win! New word alert

Ok, sue me on this y'all. Please skip if it's already been posted somewhere in the first 11 pages!! (And be sure to add that one to the SMH list. :D

But, peeps who feel sufficiently motivated to post a question, concern, update, whatevs...usually seeking advice--and people answer--and they come back with an excuse that makes it sound like they've got it all "figured out" and don't need your's or anyone's input. Like, "Kthnxbuhbye" sorta behavior. LOL.

Like Mr. Wonderful--"You're dead to me! Good luck--you'll need it!"

*snort*

Edited by FluffyChix

On 9/11/2018 at 9:14 AM, sillykitty said:

@Matt Z I have to give you credit, you answer just about every stall post with much more kindness than I could ever muster! :)

I'm new and the Stall posts make me roll my eyes, but Matt is always there saying, "It'll be ok. What did you eat/drink? One day can't disrupt this process. Just follow your process." So @Matt Z even though some of us may ask annoying questions - we appreciate you. I see you... and I think you're great.

Also, if I ask inane questions, thank you to those on this thread who (although they may be annoyed) still come through with the empathy and clarity. I've never felt like I was annoying you based on your response... but now I may just make a Stall, pizza, Alcohol, post just to cheese you. 😂😂

Thank you!
Stacey