Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't pray for me

7 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Omg I just discovered the points thing a week ago! Those Peanut Butter crack cookies! And salted caramel Calcium chews!

I have over 5,000 points, and I also didn't know about it until recently! I can't wait to redeem them.

On ‎06‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, Creekimp13 said:

:57_cry:

Nom. Nom. Nom!

Muffin.jpg

Did you know they sell these at Walmart? I happened to see a coupon offer through Ibotta for them at Walmart ($1.00 off) and sure enough, they have them. I'm going to try one or two flavors before I use my points through here to order some more.

Woot! awesome tip, Ash! Thanks:)

On 06/22/2018 at 05:53, Matt Z said:

MUFFINS!

And then after the muffins you should go over to my Poop thread and post how you fared there... get you some more post credits!

Omg I just couldn’t post there but you made me laugh! I have to say after reading that thread I’m glad I have a sleeve!

Hey how do you find out how many credits you have? I've been posting on earnest for months, if it is only on computer link-ups I'll never know because I'm on a smartphone!📞

On 6/21/2018 at 9:46 PM, msauerbrei said:

You say you offended that people assume you believe in the impossible or whatever but you’re just showing that you feel like your above people who believe in god.

No you didn’t say it but your word choice is poor and offensive to those who do believe.

We just don't get the people who view life through the lens of a higher being (and if I lump the agnostics in here too, a specific higher being that has will and intent, etc etc). That's not being above or below, it's just speaking two different languages. I have a pretty hard time with Chinese characters (though I find them fascinating), because my mind works really well with the order system of phonetic alphabets, but I'm sure there are English-speaking kids who have a rough time with phonics but would be AMAZING at writing and reading Chinese characters since they're a method of symbol-building that's a lot more visual. As far as I'm concerned, those who believe in God are working in Chinese while I'm working in English. Would I find it difficult to understand if they suddenly phrased an English get-well sentence in a structural form closer to Chinese? Probably! Would I prefer if they expressed themselves to me in our common language where the intent was clearer? Also probably! (I would also resist speaking to them in iambic pentameter or lapsing into medieval english, so the road goes both ways.)

We could also look at this through the context of superstition. If you believe that stepping on a crack will actually break your mother's back, okay. I can roll with that. Just don't get weird about me stepping on cracks, and I'm going to find it pretty annoying if my mom gets sick and you tell me that you hope she gets better and that you'll be extra-vigilant in helping me to avoid stepping on cracks. That's your thing, not mine, so... What's the point in introducing your belief system when you know I don't give a toss about it? Especially when you're supposedly trying to be there for me in some way?

Personally I don't really care about the whole "prayers" thing, though my mind might change if I was constantly surrounded by it. I can brush it off because it's an aberration, not a constant low-key brainwashing attempt to normalize religious culture in secular space. Either way, when offering sympathy it's nice to offer empathy too. If you're talking to a religious person and you're not religious, resist any urge to get into atheist debate while they're talking about their cat going to heaven. If you're religious talking to an atheist, maybe strip out some of the God-language when telling them how you're thinking of them after their parrot died.

Proselytizing is an activity that has its time and place, no matter what brand you're pushing.

Elforman. Yes I completely understand and it annoys me so much. Just because someone is religious does not mean that it needs to be put in your face. A simple wishing you well would suffice.

On 5/30/2018 at 2:11 PM, elforman said:

So, here's a topic I know may anger some, but is there anyone else who can't stand when someone just assumes you're religious and offers to pray for you? As an atheist, I never presume to guess what anyone else's beliefs are and I don't go around telling random people there is no god, especially in a time of turmoil or crisis. So when I tell someone I'm having surgery, or about any other significant event, whether in person or online, how about a little common courtesy and not just assuming I believe as you do and leaving your religion out of it?

I'm not looking to debate the existence of god here, I'm just trying to get people to realize that other people believe differently than they do and to not make assumptions.

I also don't believe, but if someone says they will/have prayed for me I just say thank you, it's their belief and if it helps them think it will save me, so let it be.. my niece's grandma just told me yesterday she prayed for my surgery and I said thank you and let it be.. I think atheist get **** for being devil worshippers because some people are just rude to the others. Now if it's a stranger I sometimes do get a little funnier with them.. but it's respect for a human that matters