Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't pray for me

1 hour ago, YeahOkay31 said:

That was me!

Sorry about that. I went out to run errands for a few hours and read two dozen or so comments when I came back and they kind of all blurred together after a while. I understand your perspective, and believe me, in non-distressing situations I laugh it off or ignore it without a second thought. But during stressful situations it seems to me a little more consideration of others is warranted.

47 minutes ago, Julie norton said:

Ps. Don’t leave

You couldn't get rid of me over a religious issue that easily. I fight back and I'm well armed.

On 05/30/2018 at 17:15, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Hear, hear to that.

I am an agnostic and have no truck with formal religion of any sort.

People may pray for me if they wish but no-one is listening ... but I am glad that it feeds their self-satisfaction.

Doesn’t agnostic mean you don’t know if anyone’s listening?

Just making sure the difference between agnostic and atheists is what I think it is.

And an apatheist just doesn’t care!

On 05/30/2018 at 18:03, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Hocus Pocus BS.

Fictitious figments of imagination looping around in the clouds ain't determining anything for me.

So you’re really an atheist not an agnostic, yes?

I'm an Atheist but it doesn't bother me if anyone wants to pray for me or not. They believe what they believe and as do I.

I just thank them, smile and be on my merry way. I always tell myself they're just doing a kind gesture or something.

Just as I'd wish someone well or a speedy recovery. When it comes to religion, I mind my own. I know nothing about it and leave it alone.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-124
GW-130
Size- 2, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 34C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

On 05/30/2018 at 13:11, elforman said:

So, here's a topic I know may anger some, but is there anyone else who can't stand when someone just assumes you're religious and offers to pray for you? As an atheist, I never presume to guess what anyone else's beliefs are and I don't go around telling random people there is no god, especially in a time of turmoil or crisis. So when I tell someone I'm having surgery, or about any other significant event, whether in person or online, how about a little common courtesy and not just assuming I believe as you do and leaving your religion out of it?

I'm not looking to debate the existence of god here, I'm just trying to get people to realize that other people believe differently than they do and to not make assumptions.

I think it’s a sign that they care for you and that’s how they know how to support you. Nothing disrespectful about it. Now, if they were reading bible verses by your bedside...that would be disrespectful. I think your a tad cynical about this subject. I doubt they mean any offense. They just want to show their support.

On 05/31/2018 at 00:43, Myaiku_Kuraitani said:

I'm an Atheist but it doesn't bother me if anyone wants to pray for me or not. They believe what they believe and as do I.

I just thank them, smile and be on my merry way. I always tell myself they're just doing a kind gesture or something.

Just as I'd wish someone well or a speedy recovery. When it comes to religion, I mind my own. I know nothing about it and leave it alone.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-124
GW-130
Size- 2, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 34C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

Now this is the right way to go about it. I applaud your answer.

On 05/30/2018 at 13:11, elforman said:

So, here's a topic I know may anger some, but is there anyone else who can't stand when someone just assumes you're religious and offers to pray for you? As an atheist, I never presume to guess what anyone else's beliefs are and I don't go around telling random people there is no god, especially in a time of turmoil or crisis. So when I tell someone I'm having surgery, or about any other significant event, whether in person or online, how about a little common courtesy and not just assuming I believe as you do and leaving your religion out of it?

I'm not looking to debate the existence of god here, I'm just trying to get people to realize that other people believe differently than they do and to not make assumptions.

Sorry, one more thing. It’s not like them praying for you is going to send you to hell or anything. It’s harmless right? 😏

11 hours ago, elforman said:

I’m sure everyone is familiar with “The Golden Rule” that basically says “Treat others as you would want to be treated.” Well, you know what? That’s garbage. I’m not you. Chances are that I don’t want to be treated the same as you. If you don’t know me why would you make that assumption?

The rule should really be “Treat others as THEY would like to be treated.” That’s a common maxim in management and it applies to real life too. If you don't know the other person, don't assume anything.

So again, all I have asked is why people can’t be more considerate of others and not make assumptions. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

This is a straw-man argument. You can't compare interactions with anonymous people on a public forum to interactions you have with family, friends or co-workers. They know you. We don't. None of us on this thread will offer prayers for you anymore. We'll send positive thoughts instead. However, most relationships on these boards are very superficial. If support is requested, the requester should take what is offered in the spirit in which it is given. If the poster wants something specific, they can merely state something like "I need some positive vibes right now." The poster has the duty to set the expectations. No one wants or has the time to get to know everyone to whom they respond.

Those of us who believe in prayer, despite our ignorance and superstition, will continue to offer it in the hope that it helps.

When people pray for me...it's like they're bringing me a cup of the worst flavor of coffee imaginable. Something I find really offputting and undrinkable.

And they're so proud when they hand it to me and say...I care about you...so here's my favorite coffee! And I smile and say thank you....but what I'm thinking is....Damn, it would have been nice if you got me a drink I like. Something that would help me or comfort me..or at least something I could gag down for hydration.

And maybe I should be grateful....maybe it's the thought that counts. But to me....all they've given me is a chore. Dumping it and wasting a cup.

It doesn't feel like love and concern when someone gifts you with something you don't want and can't use.

I'm not saying it's the worst thing in the world when people pray for me. I just think it's tone deaf and a waste...and more about reassuring themselves than supporting me.

Most folks are well intention, but I wish they understood that my beliefs are as precious to me as theirs are to them.

Praying for me is kinda like sending a Jesus "He Died For You" Easter card to Jewish friend. There's part of me that think you're sweet and appreciates that you thought of me.....and another part that considers you very very blind and self absorbed.

Praying for an atheist is like bringing a man a tampon. "I heard you were bleeding and wanted to help". You kinda look at it and go....Oh. Thanks? (and wonder what the hell to do with it) LOL. It's not that we think you're horrible for trying to help, and in many ways it's sort of endearing......we're just shocked that you can't see how weird this is for us.

Edited by Creekimp13

Thanks Orchids:)

46 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Praying for an atheist is like bringing a man a tampon. "I heard you were bleeding and wanted to help". You kinda look at it and go....Oh. Thanks?

After a motorcycle wreck, a co-worker with a case of road rash showed up at work with a maxi-pad taped to his shin. His wife is a "buck up and deal" kinda girl. And, believe it or not, in active-shooter training at work (it was required) the police officer said that they carried tampons in their kits. Quick fix for a deep wound until you could do better.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

prayer
prer/
noun
noun: prayer; plural noun: prayers
  1. a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship.
    "I'll say a prayer for him"
    synonyms: invocation, intercession, devotion;
    archaicorison
    "the priest's murmured prayers"
    • a religious service, especially a regular one, at which people gather in order to pray together.
      "500 people were detained as they attended Friday prayers"
    • an earnest hope or wish.
      "it is our prayer that the current progress on human rights will be sustained"
Origin
image.png.cba91615ae2e6f22d50a011ddd7848ae.png
Middle English: from Old French preiere, based on Latin precarius ‘obtained by entreaty,’ from prex, prec- ‘prayer.’

I believe most people are expressing 'an earnest hope or wish'.

On a humourous sarcastic note: If you are atheist stop appropriating the word 'hell', as you obviously don't believe in it....lol