Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 days post-op. Depressed and struggling

I just had surgery on may 16th and I'm really feeling depressed. I cry all the time it seems. I'm not sad about the surgery, just feel like too many regrets in my life and I'm just hopeless. Feel like I can't stand to drink another Protein Shake. Struggling to consume all the things they want me too (protein, broth, Water, vitamins) but still feel starving.

I just had surgery on may 16th and I'm really feeling depressed. I cry all the time it seems. I'm not sad about the surgery, just feel like too many regrets in my life and I'm just hopeless. Feel like I can't stand to drink another Protein Shake. Struggling to consume all the things they want me too (protein, broth, Water, vitamins) but still feel starving.

Try sugar free popsicles... I liked the broth from Campbell's chicken noodle or Progresso n just strained it... Try the zombie drink from juice it up.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hang in there, strawberry. it gets better. it really does. Your hormones go crazy after surgery and alot of folks get the post surgical blues.

i remember at that stage I tried to drink more chicken broth and gagged. it started to taste like a sweaty chicken armpit. LOL.

It's a tough time...but you're so close to turning the corner. Brighter days ahead, I promise!

Hang in there, strawberry. it gets better. it really does. Your hormones go crazy after surgery and alot of folks get the post surgical blues.
i remember at that stage I tried to drink more chicken broth and gagged. it started to taste like a sweaty chicken armpit. LOL.
It's a tough time...but you're so close to turning the corner. Brighter days ahead, I promise!

You can even make your own broth justcstrain everything

Sent from my LG-TP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is a life changing event. Change can be really scary, especially when there is no going back. You make need medication or counseling to help you deal with it. If you do, so be it. Do what you have to do and move forward. My first action would be to talk to the weight loss center and tell them how you are feeling. I don’t think you are the only patient feeling overwhelmed.

As for being hungry-are you truly hungry or is head hunger? Head hunger is a true b***h!! I’m three months out and I could probably count on one hand the days that I was truly hungry. Thirsty, that’s another story. Days I just wanted to eat-every one of them! I think eating was a habit for me, a very bad habit. We have the tools to create new eating habits and I’m determined to use them.

HW. 306
SW. 275
CW. 242

So sorry you are having a rough time. This is a huge life change.

What you described sounds like you are going through a grieving process or withdrawal from food addiction, which can also be a grieving process. Totally normal after such a huge life change.

Don't feel hopeless. . . Please... just take care of yourself by drinking Water and trying for the protien goals. You won't get a Vitamin deficiency if you miss a few while you adjust to tour new routine. Be easy on yourself, this is a lot to take.

keep coming here for support.

Sending you virtual hugs ☺

I'm supposed to go back to work in 2 weeks and I don't think I can do it. I asked the doctor for 6 weeks but he would only give me 4. I don't think I'm going to be able to do it. My job is really stressful. I feel like I'm just going to go to work and cry at my desk.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Homemade broth is a lot better tasting for sure.

Still....I totally get what the OP is talking about....you eat the same thing for your presurg, then after surgery if just gets so hard. Add in the nutty hormones and it can get pretty bleak.

Soft foods are coming, Strawberry...stay the course! You're gonna make it and things are going to get a lot easier. A day at a time. It gets better.

Edited by Creekimp13

So sorry you are having a rough time. This is a huge life change.

What you described sounds like you are going through a grieving process or withdrawal from food addiction, which can also be a grieving process. Totally normal after such a huge life change.

Don't feel hopeless. . . Please... just take care of yourself by drinking Water and trying for the protien goals. You won't get a Vitamin deficiency if you miss a few while you adjust to tour new routine. Be easy on yourself, this is a lot to take.

keep coming here for support.

Sending you virtual hugs ☺

3 minutes ago, pharlow said:

As for being hungry-are you truly hungry or is head hunger?

She's hungry. Presurgically, you eat very low calories. Then you have surgery...which demands a massive calorie burden on your body for repairs, and you have a couple of days of consuming nearly no calories. Then starvation level calories for a couple weeks.

She's HUNGRY. Sally Struthers Dying Childen in Africa hungry. Body starving hunger. It's demoralizing and HARD.

I wanted to chew my own leg off I was so hungry two weeks after surgery.

When I started to eat soft foods and had some variety and more calories I felt human again.

You don't get it until you experience it.

And experiences differ. Some folks are massively nauseated and have a hard time eating anything and all food is tasteless. Some people struggle a lot. Some have an easier time.

But if you draw the hungry card...it's still very tough.

Thank you guys for your quick responses. I have been feeling so alone. I have always struggled with depression and the last year and a half has been really difficult. I feel like I am just barely hanging on. I can't even take a bath which is one of my usual coping skills.

OMG! ^^^ this^^^!

Real hunger is tough. So are the emotions and hormones attached to food and completely changing everything about your life.

The struggle is real! But you will get through it.

strawberry, at some point it's not a bad idea to ask for a little help. What you're going through is no small thing.

If you start feeling too desperate, please go in and talk to the therapist, or at least have a consult with your surgeon's office. You're not alone and a lot of resources are in place to get you over the hump.

Again...It gets better. It really does. Hang on by your fingernails...but keep hanging on. You're almost to the fun part where the sun comes out again.

strawberry, at some point it's not a bad idea to ask for a little help. What you're going through is no small thing.
If you start feeling too desperate, please go in and talk to the therapist, or at least have a consult with your surgeon's office. You're not alone and a lot of resources are in place to get you over the hump.
Again...It gets better. It really does. Hang on by your fingernails...but keep hanging on. You're almost to the fun part where the sun comes out again.

I did start seeing a counselor last week but I just don't know if it's enough time to get me mentally well enough to go back to work in two weeks.