Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spiraling out of control!! Help!!!

Need some words of encouragement or to at least know that I’m not alone in this. I’m about 4 1/2 months post-op (had vsg mid-January) and was doing great. Have lost about 70 lbs, feeling fabulous, and following a good diet (low carb/sugar and high protein) and exercising. However, in the past week or so the scale hadn’t moved, which I think started the downward spiral. Also, last weekend we went away and decided to eat what I wanted in moderation. However, when I got back I just continued to feel hungry and started snacking on things I shouldn’t (chips, Cookies, etc.). I think it’s mostly head hunger but still did it.
I’ve now been like this for a week and eating whatever whenever and I feel like my old self, the one that would binge eat and tell myself it was the last time. Now, what’s great now is that I can’t eat anywhere near as much as I used to but I’m still in this downward spiral and it’s scary. I’m also scared I’ve done damage to my pouch.
I plan to go back to Protein Drinks tomorrow for a few days, which I guess is doing the reset pouch? Tried to find info on it but pleas let me know if it works and if I’ve really done any damage. I’m so scared and upset. I haven’t even weighed myself either because I’m scared of the number that might stare back at me.
I know I shouldn’t worry about the number of the scale but stalls suck and I’m afraid that’s what started this whole mess and I I can’t go through this every time one happens. I hope someone else has gone through this. I’m really trying to get the hunger thing in control and even though I think it’s head hunger it’s hard to stop from eating. I am so disappointed and I can now see how people can fail from this. 😢

I’m 6 months post-op and the struggle is real. I ate like crap over the weekend, no where near as much I would have if I had never been sleeved, but my choices in food were poor. I am paying for it now so bad. I am also considering doing a pouch reset just to get back on track after this weekend. I’m miserable and lethargic now. Getting back on track tomorrow! I have to do this for me and you can too!

when you add in those carbs and sugar you start that cycle of sugar rush sugar crash/hungry as hell all over again. Sugar and simple carbs make you hungry as hell. Break away from them. There is no safe amount to eat for the vast majority of us or we would not have needed the surgery in the first place.

You know what to do

No sugar

No simple carbs

Water

Protein

track your food with an app and know your macro's

If you are really worried you've damaged your pouch, maybe it would help to check in with your doctor. Maybe the doctor's reassurance would decrease your worry and help stop the spiral. Good luck!

@lex2287 - I started the pouch reset today and can say it’s not too bad (so far! Lol) started with Clear Liquids today and then plan to do Protein Shakes for next few days and then go into puréed foods again. At least that’s what I was able to look up. If anything, I think it will clean out my system. I know it’s only been one day but it’s definitely helped me to see that most of it has been head hunger and not true hunger. Hope you were able to get back o track to. We got this! 👍🏼

@josephsmom - thank you. I called and they didn’t seem to be too worried about it, although they did tell me to get back on track with my food. However, I don’t feel like I got a great answer. I’m going to see if I can actually speak with my doctor since I only got to speak to one of the nurses. I don’t have my next appt until July so I don’t want to wait until then.

keep in mind most everyone here has years upon years of weight loss / weight gain and try and fail.

This pattern is ingrained and can be our undoing if we don't recognize it and guard against it.

Post op is a mental game and we are the enemy.

build a plan around your doctors instructions then work out how to do this day in day out without huge effort.

The key is it must work with your life or like a DIET it will fail over the long run.

Everyone will have a slightly different plan that fits the life they are building.

good luck and i hope you have a great week and get back on track.

Believe me...YOU ARE NOT ALONE....I'm 4 months out also and lately I've been eating stuff I knooow I shouldn't be eating I was at a 3 week stall now all of a sudden I've lost 6 pounds outta no where...I'm learning eat what I want but just in small portions and KEEP under my calories and exercise when possible. Alot of it is head hunger and bad habits out of routine...but no worries you're loosing great 70 pounds is amazing...I'm only at 58 pounds and I'm happy with that. Stay encouraged the eating binge is a phase I think we all hit so again don't deprive yourself eat just a tad bit of your cravings and keep pushing.

Are you in counseling? I'm starting counseling before I have my surgery and plan to stay in for a year or longer if needed. I know I have a problem with food, I use it to Celebrate, I use it when I'm stressed, I use it when I'm sad, etc. etc. I especially use it when I feel I'm not making progress in my weight loss goals which is silly when you think about it, instead of trying hard I turn to food. Especially if I feel I have been denying myself certain things. That won't stop just because of surgery so I'm going to work with a counselor to help me find other ways of dealing with things. Maybe you can look into that as well.

On 05/30/2018 at 00:42, allwet said:

keep in mind most everyone here has years upon years of weight loss / weight gain and try and fail.

This pattern is ingrained and can be our undoing if we don't recognize it and guard against it.

Post op is a mental game and we are the enemy.

build a plan around your doctors instructions then work out how to do this day in day out without huge effort.

The key is it must work with your life or like a DIET it will fail over the long run.

Everyone will have a slightly different plan that fits the life they are building.

good luck and i hope you have a great week and get back on track.

It’s so true! I know that when it feels like a diet you get to the point that you want to stop because you get bored or tired of it. Definitely thinking about the types of foods I plan to eat once I’m done with this pouch reset. Thank you!!!!

On 05/30/2018 at 01:24, BINABINA25 said:

Believe me...YOU ARE NOT ALONE....I'm 4 months out also and lately I've been eating stuff I knooow I shouldn't be eating I was at a 3 week stall now all of a sudden I've lost 6 pounds outta no where...I'm learning eat what I want but just in small portions and KEEP under my calories and exercise when possible. Alot of it is head hunger and bad habits out of routine...but no worries you're loosing great 70 pounds is amazing...I'm only at 58 pounds and I'm happy with that. Stay encouraged the eating binge is a phase I think we all hit so again don't deprive yourself eat just a tad bit of your cravings and keep pushing.

Thank you! Definitely wouldn’t want anyone else to go through this crazy mental and food game but glad to know I’m not alone and that other people have slipped up. I think I also have to try to not let the scale dictate how I’m doing. I tried on a pair of pants that didn’t fit me last month and they fit now so clearly things are going in the right direction but it’s hard to get out of your head. Great job on that 6 lbs weight loss!!

On 05/30/2018 at 04:25, Beta98 said:

Are you in counseling? I'm starting counseling before I have my surgery and plan to stay in for a year or longer if needed. I know I have a problem with food, I use it to Celebrate, I use it when I'm stressed, I use it when I'm sad, etc. etc. I especially use it when I feel I'm not making progress in my weight loss goals which is silly when you think about it, instead of trying hard I turn to food. Especially if I feel I have been denying myself certain things. That won't stop just because of surgery so I'm going to work with a counselor to help me find other ways of dealing with things. Maybe you can look into that as well.

No, no counseling but I think I’m going to look into it. Deep down I know I have a problem with food too since I have been on this yo-to train for many years and have gone up and down way too much (only plus side of that is that I haven’t really had to buy a log of clothes bc I have sizes from 2 to 14!) thanks for the suggestion. I think it will be great to talk to someone about it

On 05/30/2018 at 16:47, Bobbie2017 said:

Victory Lap Syndrome

You won! Now you need to win again.

Find a reason to win again.

LOL. So true!!! It’s amazing how our minds work! I look in the mirror and still see the old self and feel I need to keep pushing but then I get all these compliments about how great I look and see the small sizes I’m wearing and somehow convince myself that I’m good! It’s 😜! I’m 14 lbs away from my first goal weight and I’m going away on vacation at the end of June so those will be my new motivations!! Thank you!!