Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any sleevers that formerly had bands?

Hello all,

My name is Emily and I recently joined. I had a Lap-band placed in 2004 and it failed after about a year. I had it removed in 2011 after it finally prolapsed. I have a surgery date of June 25th for a sleeve and had some questions for those who have converted to a sleeve from the band. What if any similarities do you experience side effect wise? I remember the "sliming" I would have from the band and the gurgling. Any differences? Thanks!

Is there a better place to post this question?

I am also going from band to sleeve. Insurance pending surgery date. I had my band in 2011, so I am not sure if they will be able to do the sleeve in the same surgery. I am praying I have no scar tissue.

I never got the band filled because of a traumatic incident that happened at my first fill. It did work for the first 6 months but years later, I have awful acid reflux. I am commenting so hopefully we can get some answers together??

Hi I had my lap band in 12 out in 14 ... now 4 years later getting sleeved on June 5 . Very worried about scar tissue too. My doc said when he is in he will decide what’s best. I will let you all know how it goes. Would love to hear success stories from those who have gone through this:)

I had the band placed in 2012. I developed a hernia on my esophagus and needed surgery a year later. During that surgery, they replaced my band. I had 5 years of throwing up, sliming, and finally my stomach prolapsed. I was miserable. A year and half ago, I had a revision and a sleeve. I have never felt better. No more heartburn, throwing up, sliming. I feel normal again.

My current struggle is to get back to my good eating habits. I am on a plateau and have been eating junk. I am thinking of going back to my pre-op diet to get back on track.

That’s awesome!! Glad to hear you are doing better!!! I had choking & sliming all the time. Thanks so much for letting us know this info it helps to hear others success stories!!!

You will get back there & let us know .... we can help be your cheerleaders on the sidelines!!!

I’m only 5 days out of having the sleeve after having had the band removed. Pain after surgery and recovery have been much harder than the band. I’ve been really hungry and able to drink a lot of liquids. However compared to the band the immediate effects are more noticeable.

I got the Band in 2006 and had it removed at the same time as getting the Sleeve 5/15/18. So far so good but still very new to this surgery. Good luck!

Had the band in 2005, out in 2009. Sleeved 4/10/18.

The recovery for the sleeve was much harder. Not sure if it was because I was a little older or what. I do know that my surgeon said that there was a lot of scar tissue from the band. That might have made recovery harder, they did more work in there.

I am more restricted with the sleeve than I was with the band. I couldn't tolerate fills with the band, so never really had a lot of restriction. With the sleeve, I am noticing food intolerance that I never had with the band. bread is not my friend with the sleeve. I can eat it, but must be committed to the consequences (it hurts and takes up a lot of room needed for proteins).

One REALLY good thing about the sleeve is that I have very little appetite. At this point, I eat to live a happier life rather than living to eat.

Hi & thanks for sharing. Sounds like everyday you’re getting better! How much time did it take for your surgery if you don’t mind my asking?

Hi & thanks for sharing. Sounds like everyday you’re getting better! How much time did it take for your surgery if you don’t mind my asking?

I was in surgery an hour and a half. Surgeon said the scar tissue really made him earn his pay.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

That’s good it wasn’t to long at all. I have had awful bloating since my band was removed... my doc expects a bunch of scar tissue as well! He thinks about 2 hours under anesthesia. I am so worried about the after pain but more worried about nausea?!?! Get it after every surgery:( Hopefully it will work out ... 6/5 is the day! Thanks for the info glad you are on the other side. I am a little older now am hoping I won’t heal to slowly- I am self employed & need to get back to work at 2weeks!