Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery/recovery room timeframes

1 minute ago, browneyez42 said:

It'll be here before you know it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh, i hope so. Feels like its dragging! Started in February.

I started in December and the first meeting with the surgeon, he gave me my date. Four months flew by.

I did a group seminar in Feb. I dont even mwet with surgeon until we submit. I think its an odd process. I guess they dont want to waste time meeting with people who arent serious about the process? What kind of pain meds were u on after surgery since u were up walking etc. I was told i will have the IV that i can self dose. Narcotics hit me really hard though.

I was only on morphine for a few hours afterwards. Me and my IV pole were up and down those hallways

I slept for several hours after surgery. Couldn’t keep my eyes open

I had gastric bypass and was brought down to the OR at 12:15, brought to recovery by 2 and would have been in my room by 3:45 but they didn’t have one ready until 6:30. IV was out by 4 am (I had peed 2.5 litres by then!) and I was given the green light to go home by 9 am. My surgery was this past Tuesday in Ottawa ☺️

2 hours ago, BostonWLKC said:

I slept for several hours after surgery. Couldn’t keep my eyes open

That's what I did after my last surgery.

1 hour ago, K4tune said:

I had gastric bypass and was brought down to the OR at 12:15, brought to recovery by 2 and would have been in my room by 3:45 but they didn’t have one ready until 6:30. IV was out by 4 am (I had peed 2.5 litres by then!) and I was given the green light to go home by 9 am. My surgery was this past Tuesday in Ottawa ☺️

That would be amazing. They told us at my seminar 2 nights for bypass patients. I want to decrease meds and get catheter out so I can go home asap!

My surgery (bypass) ended up being six hours (had expected three) because of a leak that had to be repaired. I was in the recovery area for nine hours, not because of any issues with ME but because the hospital had a shortage of rooms available. So keep in mind that even if everything with your surgery/recovery goes well, you could be in the recovery area longer than expected due to other factors!

Wow, did they know about the leak before they woke you?

43 minutes ago, Em_Jay75 said:

Wow, did they know about the leak before they woke you?

Yes, they found the leak before they closed me up (laparoscopic), so they fixed it right away. Have had no other issues since.

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 4:47 PM, Chrisb428 said:

I know it may seem strange, but Im curious. If everything goes as expected, how long is surgery and recovery room time. Hiw long from the time they take me to the OR until i get to go back to my room and see my family? Will i be alert enough to socialize with them right away when i get back or how mucj longer yet is that. Finding new things to stress and worry about....lol

Hello,

My case is rare so don't go by it because my liver was larger than expected and took longer for surgery. But I was able to speak to my family and remember it about 5 hours after surgery. I also knew going in I would prolly be put in ICU overnight but this is the special part I spent the night in the PACU to be watched carefully since the ICU was full I think. So my family was allowed to visit me briefly in there even though they are not supposed to. Anyway ik that sounds like a lot but I got through good and no issues so you will do fine. I was so terrified beforehand and it was all good. I would say keep asking questions and the more you know what is going to happen the less nervous you'd be surprise you feel on the actual day.

1 hour ago, istytehcrawk said:

My surgery (bypass) ended up being six hours (had expected three) because of a leak that had to be repaired. I was in the recovery area for nine hours, not because of any issues with ME but because the hospital had a shortage of rooms available. So keep in mind that even if everything with your surgery/recovery goes well, you could be in the recovery area longer than expected due to other factors!

Sorry that happened. Im hoping to get back to my room and see familiar faces ASAP im having anxiety already about being in there alone. Not usually like that. Heck, its still at least 2 mos away!

2 minutes ago, Sunshineprincess said:

Hello,

My case is rare so don't go by it because my liver was larger than expected and took longer for surgery. But I was able to speak to my family and remember it about 5 hours after surgery. I also knew going in I would prolly be put in ICU overnight but this is the special part I spent the noiight in the PACU to be watched carefully since the ICU was full I think. So my family was allowed to visit me briefly in there even though they are not supposed to. Anyway ik that sounds like a lot but I got through good and no issues so you will do fine. I was so terrified beforehand and it was all good. I would say keep asking questions and the more you know what is going to happen the less nervous you'd be surprise you feel on the actual day.

By the time Im done asking questions they really will wanna keep me sedated 😂

Edited by Chrisb428

2 minutes ago, Chrisb428 said:

By the time Im done asking questions they really will wanna keep me sedated 😂

Lol I felt the same way. But I'm sure you will be faster and do great. My surgeon is also very cautious and being a bigger person and my first surgery he is really cautious which is a good thing. All the nurses when I got upstairs mentioned how particular my doctor is lol. But anyway after all that I only stayed 2 nights total so just breathe and yes the months will fly by.