Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, baribetty said:

How is everyone’s energy level? I’m a month out and feeling easily fatigued.

I am 3 weeks out and running around doing errands and playing with my young nephews for about half the day. No longer taking naps but I feel good

15 hours ago, Azmassage said:

Anyone else feel like they have something stuck in there throat? I know I don’t but it feels like that.

Yessssss and I still do, 2 weeks post-op! I'm assuming it's a little tiny flap of skin where they nicked me with the tube or something. If I'm not distracted enough to ignore it, I have to sip/swallow constantly or suck on a lozenge haha. Hopefully it will go away SOON!

2 hours ago, baribetty said:

How is everyone’s energy level? I’m a month out and feeling easily fatigued.

Two weeks out and just making one dish in the kitchen is kicking my ass at the moment. It raises my HR like I'm exercising :lol: and I get kinda jelly-legged after 20-30 minutes. I'm assuming this is because of the low level of calories... they are energy for our body, after all! We are still having to haul around all this extra fat (for now!) and we're not eating enough to fuel it. Hopefully as time goes on the increase in calories and decrease in weight will combine to resolve the energy issues!

Today was my 1st workout at the gym and after I got home all I did was nap.

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City :)

I’m 7 days post op and healing ok. I live in an area with a lot of hills and I’m finding I’ve lost a lot of my cardio since surgery. Looking forward to being able to walk in my neighbourhood again!

On 5/27/2018 at 11:40 PM, Bryn910 said:

17 days post op; surgery was May 10.

ended up being dehydrated at 1 week post op check up & got an IV bag of fluids. No complications after that. Doc has me on 3 week liquid diet so I am still on that. Have 3 week post up in 3 days, after that I move to soft foods and I am sooo looking forward to some crabs. Living in Maryland and it is the season for crabs!

i am getting bored being home for this long but doc said it’s mandatory that RNY patients stay out of work for 3 weeks; hoping to go back June 4th. I am getting in more than 70 ounces of fluids but only about 40 grams of Protein only because it takes so long to drink the Protein Drinks & having to wait 30 minutes before and after.

Highest weight was 264 lbs.

Surgery weight was 242 lbs.

current weight is 229 lbs.

because the Protein Drinks are full liquid you shouldn't have to wait 30 minutes before and after. I was instructed to wait 30 minutes before and after eating once I reach the puree stage. Maybe double check with your support team?

Hi All. I had my gastric sleeve back on the 2nd May, so I'm just over 4 weeks post op.

I had a pretty good recovery post op. I was so sleepy from the medications I pretty much slept the rest of the operation day. I got sick of being woken constantly overnight be either buzzers from other rooms or staff coming in to check my vitals or give me medications. I was roaming the halls a lot from day 2 to help shift remaining gas, and made a few friends around the ward in my travels, including a lovely lady who had been sleeved 18 months prior and was recovering from her Tummy Tuck.

I had the unpleasant experience of vomiting up my endone tablets twice in the second day, until I realised it was because of all the gas bubbles coming up when I went from laying down in bed for a while to sitting up and immediately taking the endone tablets (being a controlled substance the staff have to watch you swallow them). Once I had that figured out I made the staff come back 10 minutes later after I'd been up for a while any time they wanted me to swallow something when I was laying down.

By the second day I was able to drink about 400ml total. By day 3 it was close to a litre over the day (including a fair bit of diluted Protein water) and by the 4th day I was getting close to a 1.5L (57oz). I couldn't have any Optifast that the hospital supplies (intolerant to aspartame and MSG/hidden MSG) and though I mixed up a bit of my aspartame-free formulite shake I found I couldn't stand it. I made the mistake of eating some of the Soups they sent me on the third day, and was hit with a nasty MSG headache-bordering-on-migraine from the next morning.

I was also in a lot of pain on day 3 because my IV slipped out of my vein overnight and pumped a tonne of Fluid into my arm, making it very swollen and painful for the rest of the day.

Because I'd vomited on day 2 my surgeon wanted me to stay in 5 days/4 nights, but by day 4 with the MSG headache I just wanted to be home where I could sleep without constant buzzers and eat/drink my REAL soups made with REAL gelatinous home chicken stock which wouldn't give me headaches. After initially asking staff mid-morning to request permission from my surgeon to release me that afternoon, I then elected to self-discharge "against surgeons advice" at 4pm when my husband was able to collect me. Best decision ever (sometimes you just have to rebel!)

I've been doing really well at home until the past few days. I was getting at least 60g protein within a few days, had full liquids for the first 2 weeks post op, then both purees and soft solids in weeks 3-4. I am now onto the period of "integrating regular foods" however I've been feeling really nauseous the past few days (despite not changing anything I'm eating yet) so only made it to about 500 calories yesterday, slept really bad overnight waking with a crappy headache today, and then slept much of today while the kids were in school. It's now 5pm and I've only had 150 calories and 500ml (16oz) liquids. I've skipped my Multivitamins yesterday and today to avoid worsening the nausea but will try hard to at least get some protein Water and other fluids in this evening. The nausea could even be a lead up to my next impending "period from hell". :( I've been taking my reflux PPI medication from day dot so I don't think it's a reflux issue. I might even be dealing with fallout from post-nasal drip having only just gotten over a particularly bad cold my husband brought home and gave to the kids and I.

Fingers crossed that I sleep well tonight (will be taking an over-the-counter sleep aid) and tomorrow I get back to my regular cruisy post-op experience.

I was 121kg (about 265lb) when I decided in February to pursue the sleeve operation, 111kg on day of surgery after 3 weeks of pre-op VLCD and currently at 102.3kg after spending my 3 week stall at 104kg.

I am 3 days post-op (VSG was on 5/29) and woke up in PAIN lol but now being 3 days post-op, I can now get fluids in okay. The gas absolutely sucks though. I am just happy to be on the other side of the surgery and to be starting purees in a couple of days :)

3 hours ago, cocobeau13 said:

I am 3 days post-op (VSG was on 5/29) and woke up in PAIN lol but now being 3 days post-op, I can now get fluids in okay. The gas absolutely sucks though. I am just happy to be on the other side of the surgery and to be starting purees in a couple of days :)

it just keeps getting better and better from here :) Glad you are doing well with your fluids. I found Protein waters easier than protein or Meal Replacement shakes for liquid Proteins post op. Soups made with real home made gelatinous chicken stocks are really satisfying while on liquids/purees too (and contain some protein from the gelatin)

(sorry, accidentally double posted)

Edited by Taoz

Surgery on 5 22. On 3 week Proteins shake and liquids. Sometimes get hungry . Starting to really resent not being able to eat anything. First week was very sore and lots of muscle spasms every time I drank. That is all much better now. Can’t wait for puréed stage.

I’m truly blessed to have no idea what it feels like to have the gas discomfort. If it wasn’t because of my incisions and restriction I would truly wonder if I really got a gastric bypass or if my surgeon just put me out and woke me back up pretending to do surgery on me lol. I literally had 0 gas and was healed by the 3rd day. Day 4 I was already driving and taking my mom to work. Now 2 weeks post op I have to slow myself down and remind myself that I had surgery because Im doing too much and I want to eat and do things as if I’ve never had surgery. I even joined the gym and been working out for an hour everyday. I really thought I was going to be in bed for weeks with lots of pain and discomfort just calling out for ppl to bring me things to my bedside. Right now I’m on the facet where I’m just so in love with my pouch. It’s easy to forget how bad we all wanted this with all the preop diet surgery and pain but we have to stop and soak this in and remember just how blessed we are to finally have our procedure be it a sleeve or bypass. I never lose focus and I’m thankful everyday, every single day. In love with my pouch is an understatement.

Fast healing everyone!

Hi Everyone,

I had my surgery on 5/7. I am hanging in there still adjusting to the new stomach, and trying to figure out what she does and does not like. I am surprised how much my taste buds have changed. I find it hard to get in my Protein because I gave up on the protein drinks they made me so sick and the Unjury unflavored has an aftertaste that I can't stomach either. I haven't been getting in all my fluids the last couple of days because I am finding it harder to drink even 30 min after eating because I still feel full. I am healing up pretty nicely, but have some minor pains here and there because I am still trying to get a comfortable sleeping position.

8 hours ago, Yo-yo girl said:

I’m truly blessed to have no idea what it feels like to have the gas discomfort. If it wasn’t because of my incisions and restriction I would truly wonder if I really got a gastric bypass or if my surgeon just put me out and woke me back up pretending to do surgery on me lol. I literally had 0 gas and was healed by the 3rd day. Day 4 I was already driving and taking my mom to work. Now 2 weeks post op I have to slow myself down and remind myself that I had surgery because Im doing too much and I want to eat and do things as if I’ve never had surgery. I even joined the gym and been working out for an hour everyday. I really thought I was going to be in bed for weeks with lots of pain and discomfort just calling out for ppl to bring me things to my bedside. Right now I’m on the facet where I’m just so in love with my pouch. It’s easy to forget how bad we all wanted this with all the preop diet surgery and pain but we have to stop and soak this in and remember just how blessed we are to finally have our procedure be it a sleeve or bypass. I never lose focus and I’m thankful everyday, every single day. In love with my pouch is an understatement.

Fast healing everyone!

Well said! Thanks for the reminder. I was having a bad day today because I was mourning my old favourite foods. I have two young boys who still enjoy their pizza and “fun” food. You are so right...the surgery was a blessing and no food is worth the unhealthy lifestyle I had before 😘

Surgery was on 5/29 they pretty much kept me SUdated the first day. I don’t remember anything at all except them yelling at me to breath and me yelling back that it hurts to breath. Second day was better after we got the naesua under control I was able to walk. I also couldn’t take the pain medication because it was way to sweet. I am now home and I am trying to get my Protein in and it’s hard I am getting about 50g of protein. But I am getting all 64oz of Water. My stomach is constantly gurgling and moving. I still feel like I have something lodged in my throat. But when I burp it goes away I have not figured out how to drink without getting the air bubbles