Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti-depressants after bariatric surgery

I know some anti-depressants cause weight gain, not all but some.

Has anyone taken their anti-depressants after surgery and fight to lose weight because of the meds or are things different after surgery?

I take Effexor, which isn't known for weight gain but I was just curious if that's something anyone here had to worry about.

My surgeon said most of his patients are on antidepressants (they are possibly overprescribed in Australia and also, depression/anxiety is a bit of a comorbidity with morbid obesity) and he’s never seen it prevent anyone from losing weight.

I currently take prednisone (which generally makes you gain weight like crazy) and antidepressants and I’ve lost weight. Lots and fairly quickly. And I’ve done so without exercising much because I’ve had rheumatoid arthritis.

I don’t want to trivialize the feelings of anyone who does take medication that causes them to struggle. I would say that (in my experience) you can still overcome it if you work hard.

So I wouldn’t worry (I don’t think you’ll have any problems if your antidepressant isn’t even known for weight gain) but use this awareness as extra motivation to distinguish real hunger from head hunger.

3 hours ago, LaLaDee said:

My surgeon said most of his patients are on antidepressants (they are possibly overprescribed in Australia and also, depression/anxiety is a bit of a comorbidity with morbid obesity) and he’s never seen it prevent anyone from losing weight.

I currently take prednisone (which generally makes you gain weight like crazy) and antidepressants and I’ve lost weight. Lots and fairly quickly. And I’ve done so without exercising much because I’ve had rheumatoid arthritis.

I don’t want to trivialize the feelings of anyone who does take medication that causes them to struggle. I would say that (in my experience) you can still overcome it if you work hard.

So I wouldn’t worry (I don’t think you’ll have any problems if your antidepressant isn’t even known for weight gain) but use this awareness as extra motivation to distinguish real hunger from head hunger.

I don't think they've ever distinguished whether the weight gain is from people having an increased appetite or actual changes in your body that prevents you from losing weight anyway. I'm not too worried about it, just curious on other experiences.

Seeing that most patients are on anti-depressants isn't too surprising either.

I didn't like how anti-depressants made me feel. It felt like being in a fog constantly when I was a flight attendant... it was so hard to focus on the job for sure.

After two years of not taking anything, I started having trouble with anxiety and depression again.... but I didn't want to get on any other medications. So I spoke with my surgeon and decided to opt for more holistic methods of handling the stress and depression. I got my medical marijuana card and found what dosage works for me. I make my own cannabutter and honestly feel so much better since making my own edibles and finding what works for me.

I am definitely not recommending this route for others, just know that this helped with my issues and it takes time to find what works for each person on an individual level.

I have figured out I can't take any antidepressants they ramp up my bipolar symptoms so I take mood stabilizers and antipsychotics along with klonipin

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have bipolar and I’m on trazadone, lunesta, trileptal, klonopin and seroquel. Seroquel is known to increase appetite and cause weight gain. No problems here! VSG on 5/10, don 25 lbs

I’ve been on Trintellix (formerly Brintellix) for years. It is weight nuetral, no gain/no loss problems. It works in conjunction with my Topamax to control both ends of my bipolar disorder. Unfortunately, my dose of Topamax is so high, I don’t get the weight loss benefit folks see in the low dose end of that drug. Rats! 🙂

Most psychiatrists will admit that they don't know how medications that cause weight loss/gain do so, i.e. affect your metabolism or whether it has something to do with dopamine/serotonin, etc. This is a handy chart I found online that I always bring when I go to the shrink so she doesn't put me on something that's going to undo all my hardwork. There is also a blood test now they can do to find out which medications work on you and which won't, no matter what the dosage. I just took the test and am waiting for the results, so I'll probably be back in her office with this chart sometime soon :) Hope this helps.

Image result for antidepressant chart

I feel like a minor leaguer with Wellbutrin, I will have to get a new. script because I'm going to be RnY bypass and the form I'm won't assmilate as well. Just high functioning autistic, used to be female Aspergers until Psychiatry "grandfathered" us into the main autistic spectrum. And have modest depression, due in fact to being jerked and tugged by an uncompleted Bariatric Journey. But next month when my RnY is performed at OSU-Wexner Medical Center in Columbus I feel I'll be a lot better. Yes I'll always have my little depressive cloud☁ lingering over in the corner but the sun🌝will shine for MsFrustr8. once again😛