Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you wait until you had your first alcoholic beverage???

So I’ll be 6 weeks post op next week. I’m going to New Orleans and I know I’ll want to have at least one drink. I feel like I have and Angel on my left side saying don’t do it and the Devil on the right saying one would be ok. So now long did you guys wait?

Other than Communion wine, I'm planning to wait until my Anni-birth-sary in July. That would be 5 months post-op for me. (Hubby and I have the same birthday, so we got married on it :D ) I pretty much drank wine every night before surgery but I don't really miss it all that much and I know that the acid would eat me alive right now.

So you got a model that actually remembers the date? All teasing aside, I think that is incredibly cool. Happy birthday, anniversary and every thing else that day in advance!😛

56 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

So you got a model that actually remembers the date? All teasing aside, I think that is incredibly cool. Happy birthday, anniversary and every thing else that day in advance!😛

Thanks, but it was self-preservation for me. He's the romantic who remembers all the details. I'm the one who would probably have forgotten! :blush:

What does your surgeon recommend?

I drank at 3 weeks post op. I was at a week long work event that was very social, and had a heavy emphasis on drinking. I had no desire to drink and did only to try not to attract attention to my WLS. Despite only consuming on average 700 cals per day (including alcohol), at the end of the week I had gained 2 lbs. Quite honestly that pissed me off, and made me swear off alcohol for the most part.

I’m just curious. Who goes to New Orleans and doesn’t drink. I don’t wanna ask my surgeon cause I’m pretty sure he’ll say wait a year!

5 minutes ago, abarr7302 said:

I’m just curious. Who goes to New Orleans and doesn’t drink.

Here's the thing, you may not want to drink!

I'm in a line of work where drinking is big part of the job. Honestly, I like drinking, I was a big social drinker. I had no intention of giving up drinking. But since surgery it's just not appealing. When I drank, it was just blah.

I have drank two times since that week I talked about above. One time I was at a work dinner on my birthday and a very expensive bottle of wine was ordered in my honor, so my arm was twisted into having a glass, it was fine, but still blah. The only time I really wanted and enjoyed alcohol was at a chic little french bar hanging out and eating charcuterie, and the amazing wine by the glass list tempted me. I savored a glass all night and enjoyed it, but had no desire for the 3 or 4 glasses I would have had presurgery.

So in my totally non medical opinion, I say if you want a drink go for it. But be prepared it may not appeal to you like it did before. Also, if you drink consistently during your time in NOLA, you could be sabotaging you weight loss for that time, even if overall your calories are low.

I just wanna try one drink. If it turns out not to be so appealing than that would be amazing! Lol -This is my husband and I’s first mini vacay without the kids so I’m kinda of excited.

Three or four months, probably. I had a vodka and lemonade that was mostly vodka and it went straight to my head. Then we went on our babymoon two weekends ago and I had several alcoholic beverages, and it went fine. Had two beers (a porter) last weekend and that went fine too.

Two weeks post op currently......going to Vegas at the end of July....thinking mid July I'll see what the effects are with a shot or two....lol...

I waited 2.5 months. And I’m 6 months out now and drink twice a week. And I still lose 1-3lbs a week.

12 hours ago, abarr7302 said:

So I’ll be 6 weeks post op next week. I’m going to New Orleans and I know I’ll want to have at least one drink. I feel like I have and Angel on my left side saying don’t do it and the Devil on the right saying one would be ok. So now long did you guys wait?

The best rule for trying new things... is to do it at home. Just think of all the things that can go wrong. Would you rather be home, where you have all of your comforts and easy access to an ER/Ambulance/ETC or would you rather be in the middle of a party city in a bar? I mean, you can totally do what you want to, but personally I always try to venture outside of the box in a situation where I have full control in case it's not as expected. You'd be better off ruining a normal night than potentially ruining a special one.
Just my 2 cents.

After 3 months I experimented with white wine on a cruise. It was more intoxicating than pre-surgery, so one glass was my limit. It’s now 7 months after surgery & I tried a margarita. My stomach didn’t have the ability to metabolize tequila anymore! I felt a physical reaction in the stomach & had diarrhea after! Not a good thing to try for the first time if you’re not close to a toilet!

51 minutes ago, janet ruth said:

After 3 months I experimented with white wine on a cruise. It was more intoxicating than pre-surgery, so one glass was my limit. It’s now 7 months after surgery & I tried a margarita. My stomach didn’t have the ability to metabolize tequila anymore! I felt a physical reaction in the stomach & had diarrhea after! Not a good thing to try for the first time if you’re not close to a toilet!

Hmmm, I was planning on a Margarita at some point. Bummer. What surgery did you have?