Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret getting the sleeve?

I'm almost 3 weeks post op and have frequently regretted my sleeve. I also did a lot of research before surgery but it seems people don't talk much about how hard it is to get through the diet phases until you can eat solid food again. The Protein Shakes are nasty, I can't stand anything with artificial sweeteners (most sugar-free products), and have a lot of pain when eating. Hoping things will get easier as I progress to "normal" food. Because I haven't been able to get all my Protein in, I've been exhausted but that's my own fault. I also can't drink the recommended amount of Water. It's just too much. I'm losing weight and am happy about that but the mental part is so hard. I wasn't prepared for that.

I am not sure I am regretting it yet but I am questioning if I did the right surgery. I had sleeve surgery on 3/16 and it has been way to easy, as if it wasn't done. The only time I feel restricted is if I don't measure my food (eating out) and eat a little too much. I get a dull pain in my chest. I haven't lost any weight for over 4 weeks now and I am not sure if I will. I am following the rules with an occasional meal out. I exercise and I am drinking, etc. I regret the sleeve to the point that I believe I should have done the bypass but was afraid of the reroute.

I'm almost 3 weeks post op and have frequently regretted my sleeve. I also did a lot of research before surgery but it seems people don't talk much about how hard it is to get through the diet phases until you can eat solid food again. The Protein Shakes are nasty, I can't stand anything with artificial sweeteners (most sugar-free products), and have a lot of pain when eating. Hoping things will get easier as I progress to "normal" food. Because I haven't been able to get all my Protein in, I've been exhausted but that's my own fault. I also can't drink the recommended amount of Water. It's just too much. I'm losing weight and am happy about that but the mental part is so hard. I wasn't prepared for that.

I have the exact same story.
I know once I'm able to control my own diet it'll become second nature and it'll be rewarding. But for now the stomach pain and nausea after eating very small amounts, very slowly are hard to deal with.

I can say that I'm not quite at a month out and I have lost 30lbs so I appreciate at least I have something to show for my aches and pain.

I had the surgery 5/3/18.

I have had some thoughts wondering if I did the right thing. The only reason I have questioned this surgery is because of the total lack of energy that first week. The second week was a little better. I had attributed the exhaustion to the sever drop in blood sugar. I was in the higher range of normal (120) prior to surgery and was fluctuating between 74-90 post op. I had stopped all diabetes medicines - insulin, pills and weekly injection.

I was still weak with very short bursts of energy the second week. I became disorientated when I would start moving around. When I saw the nurse 2 weeks post op it seemed to be the blood pressure drops. I was 90/60. My medicine for that was cut in half. I have done so much better since the readjustment of the meds.

I am still having a hard time with sustaining energy. I am following along with the food stages without any mental difficulties at all. My B-team said I didn't have to do puree foods this week, just soft foods. If a fork pushes through the food then its ok, Thursday I venture out into "regular foods".

I am having a little trouble juggling getting enough liquids at times and even enough Protein at times.

I do not have any regrets overall with obtaining this surgery. I looked at the matter in a practical way. There is NO going back. I will be able to eat regular foods - just a smaller amount. It helps alot that i am a meat and potatoes person.

I am currently menatally happy with the whole eating and drinking regime. I forget one Calcium supplement daily. I'm getting 1000mg daily though. ( Love the Wellesse liquid Calcium! I take this as the first dose each morning and a Bari-Melt at night.)

I have worried about the nutrition and dehydration problems that may arise in the future. I really need to pay attention to these two factors and I'll be fine.

What also helped was watching YouTube videos of VSG blogs. I watched VSG food hauls for the puree week to get ideas. I found these videos very helpful - as well as encouraging. I watched them on a rainy Saturday morning with my niece, who is helping me with preparing. We were so interested that half the afternoon had passed. (not even exaggerating)

I have many questions about this journey. I will be reading these forums for guidance.

No regrets. Fingers crossed.

Have had my sleeve nearly six months. Have never regretted it. Not even one day. Not even one moment.

I went into this process expecting to lose one side or the other of 60% of my excess weight in 18 months....because that is the average result of the surgery. I knew it would be hard. Mentally and physically. I knew I'd have moments, and I knew I was taking a certain amount of risk. I was extremely lucky and had a very easy surgery. I've also been lucky to have a very knowledgeable, ethical medical team.

Losing 60 pounds...would have been good enough. It would have been a significant improvement to my health and I was absolutely grateful for that much help.

At just six months out, I've lost about 88% of my excess weight, and am still losing.

I am off my blood pressure meds, my diuretic, my antidepressent. My blood sugar is normal. My cholesterol is terrific. My nutrition bloodwork is great so far, no malabsorption issues. My arthritis feels better. My energy is off the chart. I feel amazing.

I also have to credit The mayo Clinic Diet... my forever diet.

And a terrific team of people at my clinic, and my at-home support people...most especially my hubby, my bestie and my daughter.

No regrets:)

3 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Have had my sleeve nearly six months. Have never regretted it. Not even one day. Not even one moment.

I went into this process expecting to lose one side or the other of 60% of my excess weight in 18 months....because that is the average result of the surgery. I knew it would be hard. Mentally and physically. I knew I'd have moments, and I knew I was taking a certain amount of risk. I was extremely lucky and had a very easy surgery. I've also been lucky to have a very knowledgeable, ethical medical team.

Losing 60 pounds...would have been good enough. It would have been a significant improvement to my health and I was absolutely grateful for that much help.

At just six months out, I've lost about 88% of my excess weight, and am still losing.

I am off my blood pressure meds, my diuretic, my antidepressent. My blood sugar is normal. My cholesterol is terrific. My nutrition bloodwork is great so far, no malabsorption issues. My arthritis feels better. My energy is off the chart. I feel amazing.

I also have to credit The mayo Clinic Diet... my forever diet.

And a terrific team of people at my clinic, and my at-home support people...most especially my hubby, my bestie and my daughter.

No regrets:)

The mayo Clinic diet looks really good. How do you do the portions? Just follow bariatric guidelines set forth by your team and then follow the Mayo food plan? I am also looking for my forever diet... Fad dieting was part of what led to my weight gain over the years. Any tips?

I’ll be honest, I’m 2 weeks post VSG and sometimes I do regret it. It’s a HUGE change. And the only real thing I regret is not being able to chug Water 😂. But when I’m down about it, I just talk to someone (my friends, family members, my psych) and they remind me that it’s better to struggle for a little bit to be healthier and live longer. That ALWAYS stops my pity party! Sometimes in the early days I guess it’s easier to get sad than think about the good reasons you did this. Everyone in my support group has had a little case of buyers remorse, but not very often. I’ve had 2 days of angry and sad out of 2 weeks.
But I really wouldn’t change my decision for the world. Like the above poster said, most of the time it’s the regret that I didn’t do this sooner!
You’ll be fine and you’ll do great! And I think almost everyone gets the cold feet/nerves before. You’re totally normal lol

Not one day has passed where I regretted my decision to have it. Not even a moment.

Not one day has passed where I’ve regretted my decision to have it. Not a even a single moment.

I had no issues with the liquid/purée diets because I love yogurt, applesauce and Soups. I transitioned to “hard” food easily by cutting my meats into small bits before sitting down to eat. I’ve lost 50 lbs in 6 months & have 20 to go. I bought small bowls and divided plates in the Walmart baby department so I don’t over serve myself. Eating ice chips & sipping Water or iced tea all day has helped with hydration.

I'm 7 weeks post surgery and no regrets. Today we have an office birthday party. Mini cupcakes and fresh fruit topped with whippedcream. My co-workers felt bad because I wasn't eating. I haven't really experimented with fresh fruit yet and decided, now wasn't the time. I went to desk grabbed a Protein Bar and went back to the party[emoji39]. This may sound weird, but we aren't like everyone else. We sometimes have to adapt life around our pouch. Sometime we may find ourselves in awkward social settings. We should use those moments to remember why we had surgery. Also, I think after those first 4 or 5 weeks... you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I stand by decision and I have no regrets.

Show someone a little kindness each day~Miss Tee

2 hours ago, EsoKev said:

The mayo Clinic diet looks really good. How do you do the portions? Just follow bariatric guidelines set forth by your team and then follow the mayo food plan? I am also looking for my forever diet... Fad dieting was part of what led to my weight gain over the years. Any tips?

My team is on board with a modified Mayo Clinic Diet being a terrific post surgical diet. I hit the Protein goals set by my team (60+ grams a day) and hit the calorie goals set by my team (1200 per day). That's pretty much all I worry about. (and exercise goals)

I do eat some very lean meat, but I also eat Beans, whole grain bread, brown rice, white potatoes and a lot of fruits.

A lot of people gasp because Mayo is very carb heavy....but it's good carbs...and there's a difference.

There are some great ways to get protein from food people think of only as carbs.

Whole wheat english muffin= 120 calories and 5 grams of PROTEIN.

Baked Idaho potato= 160 calories and 4.3 grams of PROTEIN.

Legume protein pasta= 190 calories and 10 grams of PROTEIN. (this stuff is SO good and you won't miss regular Pasta, I swear)

One cup of black beans= 227 calories and 15 grams of PROTEIN (black bean brownies made with splenda, oats and almond flour are fantastic with strawberries and raspberries)

One cup of cooked oatmeal = 150 calories and 6grams of PROTEIN

I don't really eat simple refined carbs as part of my daily diet anymore. They're special occasion sweets and I have some strict rules about them. (tiny portions, witnesses, out of the house, special occasions only)

But yep...eating a balanced bariatric diet doesn't have to mean never eating carbs again. You have to be careful about the refined simple carbs for sure....but not all carbs are bad nutrition.

I also eat tofu, mushrooms, nuts and seeds for protein. I like to get at least half of my protein from plant based sources. Mediterranean diet and Japanese Diet are heavy in plant based protein, fish, nuts and seeds, complex carbs, fruits and veggies...just like Mayo Clinic....and they are associated with the people who have the longest lifespans and the least heart disease and cancer.

And you do have to count calories. My calorie goal is 1200 per day. I try not to fudge it. Most days I'm on target.

Also, my team stresses exercise almost as much as diet. My exercise goals are written on a prescription pad at every visit. We're told to consider exercise essential medicine. Don't skip doses. LOL:)

Most important thing is working with a nutritionist who is on the same page you are and a team that is invested in your long term success.

CreekImp my dietician wants me eating 60 mg Protein also, even tho I'm still pre-surg. My appointments today went very good, none of my challenges are un-doable, although it will be a difficult task, that I expected, but I firmly believe I can and will achieve this.

Glad your appointment went well! Frustr8, I wish you every success and am crossing my fingers for you for a rapid approval. You've been working toward this for a long time. I think it's time the fates cut you a break and got you a surgery date. God help them if they don't! Whatever else you might be, Frustr8.... you're no quitter. Wishing you great rewards for your patience and tenacity.

No regrets. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Make sure you get a good surgeon with proven success and do everything the Nutritionist tells you to.