Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery almost 2 weeks ago and there is a noticeable difference in my skin and hair. So Dry! Nails also and let's not talk about my alligator feet! (pedicure tomorrow)

I am using more lotion, but just applying to the outside isn't the same!

I am wondering if it is the hormone shift, same thing happened when I was pregnant. Could it be the hormones?

Is it bc there are no healthy fats in my diet?

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Did it get better?

After surgery, one of the effects was that my skin changed. It was most noticeable on my face. My skin became paper thin and developed hairline cracks. I literally looked like I was 100 years old. Now since I am old I would expect some of this but it was so dramatic, it caused me to wonder if the surgery was the wrong decision.

My wife recommended that I use a product called Bio-Oil. It is available at CVS, other drugs stores, Walmart and other stores. I bought some and have been using it on my face for 5 years now. I put on a little once each morning and I am good for the day. My face is back to its normal self.

Thanks!

I will go buy some today!

11 hours ago, Sleeved36 said:

I had surgery almost 2 weeks ago and there is a noticeable difference in my skin and hair. So Dry! Nails also and let's not talk about my alligator feet! (pedicure tomorrow)

I am using more lotion, but just applying to the outside isn't the same!

I am wondering if it is the hormone shift, same thing happened when I was pregnant. Could it be the hormones?

Is it bc there are no healthy fats in my diet?

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Did it get better?

I agree 100% with James! Bio Oil is awesome! I use it every day, twice a day. I used to have very dry skin with scaly Patches. Now the oil has done the trick. I also think it helps to prevent the "turkey neck" some people get after loosing so much.

Have you had blood work done lately? My doc just told me yesterday that Vitamin A deficiencies can lead to dry skin too.

2 weeks seems a little quick for a Vitamin deficiency, hows your Water intake? Your skin will certainly not stay hydrated if you aren't meeting your water goals! You could also try some more natural solutions for skin hydration, find some Jojoba oil, it's 100% natural and mimics your bodies natural oils and absorbs quickly and deeper than most other oils. You can also use Jojoba in your hair as well! Look for the cold pressed version as it retains more of the "good stuff" that heat breaks down. Other products I like to use for external hydration is pure coconut oil, the USDA graded stuff meant for food. Really does wonders!

Good luck!

Edited by Matt Z

I have coconut oil, I will try that too.

My hands look like crepe paper and kinda like my mom's hands. That is why I am freaking out.

Dry is one thing, turning into my mom is a whole nother type of scary. So disturbing to look down and see my mom's hands!

I can't be that old! It has to just be the dryness right? I'm not really turning into my mom. Will coconut oil and bio-oil prevent me from being impatient and bitchy too?

Ooh you'll be sooo smooth it won't matter any more. The impatient and bitchy, no guarantees, but if you are, be like Hank Williams Jr, just sing out " It's a Family Tradition!" ✌😛

My hair crisped. I have no idea why, and I'm not yet at the four-month mark when people say it falls out, but I've had to buy an oil pack to use once a week on my hair and then add leave-in conditioner. I'm not sure if it's the surgery or the post-op diet but my hair's pretty coarse these days.

My skin isn't noticeably different, but I started doing the whole multistep skin care fad a few years ago so there's not been much room for my skin to dry out. I picked up hand cream too, which I wear overnight. If I have a big meeting or event, I'll use a gel mask the night before just in case.

Make sure you have a bath mat down so you don't fall from the spiciness in the tub or shower bottom.😟

slickness --although if you use scented oil --it could be spicy,also.

I got the dry skin on the face. It even started peeling. It was not nice to apply foundation over. It kept my makeup a huge mess. My skin eventually went back to normal (or how it was before the surgery rather). I don’t know if it was hormonal. I don’t think I’m drinking any more Water than I was when it happened.

I ended up buying all these intense moisturizers and hydrating masks - which definitely helped. Origin and Clinique make good products. If you’re on a budget, bio oil might do the trick. I have acne prone skin so I’m too scared to try that.

Keep drinking water and taking your Vitamins. It can’t hurt. Also, I swear my skin is better when I eat heaps of carrots!!

I'm 6 weeks post-op. Noticed this week that I am losing a little bit of hair, but not enough to make a difference. Am faithful to hair/skin/nails related Vitamins, focusing on getting enough Protein, and even upped my Iron intake to stay on top of it.

I did notice that my hands and my hips were starting to get a little crepe-y a couple weeks ago, so I stepped up my moisturizing routine to include my hands and some of those "at risk areas" like chest, neck, abdomen. Ran across a post on Bio-Oil where people swore by it for stretch marks, scars, and even reducing hanging skin (turkey-neck and even upper arm areas).

So, I bought some and have been putting it on twice a day since Sunday. My skin has never looked better.

The skin on my face was so dry a week after surgery that it was peeling. The second week, when I was getting closer to the amount of Water I should have been drinking, that evened out. I'm almost 5 months from surgery now and my previously combination/oily skin is now just normal. My hair seemed normal at first but has seemed drier in the last few months. Hopefully everything will just even out after a while.