Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have an issue with too much acid?

Ok, so I’ve been posting a lot here, so I’m guessing a lot of you are familiar with what’s been going on with me the past 5 days.

Here’s my question. Did any of you have a problem with producing WAY TOO MUCH stomach acid after surgery? I’ve started taking 2 Prilosec and 2 nexium a day, but of course that all takes time to really kick in. I’ve been keeping water/ice/pedialyte in pretty well yesterday and today, but at night everything goes NUTS.

Last night I was throwing up acid so hard and frequently that it was coming up through my nose (THE BURN!!!!) to the point I was dry heaving.

Right after surgery I was having a problem with being hungry all the time and it was suggested then that it was too much stomach acid making my stomach rumble and grumble all the time. I’ve never really had a problem with GERD before. I mean once and a while I’d eat the wrong thing, or too late or too much and I’d get that burn in my throat and chest. But as a whole it was never too bad and a tums here and there worked great.

I’m seeing my PCP tomorrow and I’m going to request carafate. Any other suggestions or ideas? Since my opm and deductibles are met after surgery, I’m thinking of asking for another EGD to check out my throat, pouch and upper intestines and getting a biopsy for h pylori while they’re down there. I’m also thinking about a barium swallow test to check out how much acid is firing at a time.

Any experiences you guys have had or suggestions would be great, as always.

Thanks everyone for putting up with me all the time! :)

HW: 311

SW: 255 VSG 5/10/18

CW: 236

First goal weight: 209

Second goal weight: 191 lbs

Third goal weight: 159 lbs

Final Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Sorry, this is pure misery. I feel for you! I tried to get off the precription-strength Prilosec after 1 month. I only made it 4 hours before I was begging the Dr. for another prescription. A week later I was back on 2x/day. In between, I chew Tums. :(

Hi Moondoggie,

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It is really a miserable situation.

I had the same thing the first two weeks after surgery. It settled down quite a bit after I started taking 2 Omeprazole Delayed Release twice a day as per my surgeon. My third week after surgery has been much better, and now I just take one Omeprazole Delayed Release in the morning.

Please let us know how your tests go!

🐶as a sleever you're lucky, bet right now you're think if this is luck, I'll just opt out. Someone told me, and this person is supposed to be smart on such,things, as a bypassed(albeit a future one) I won't be able to take the slow release forms due to my intestinal screw-around. I know at least 2 of my daily meds are SR, so I gu3ss I'm just worried in Advance. It's like somebody,gave me a complimentary ticket to a Bariatric Disney World, I know its the Bariatric trip of a lifetime, and I'll probably enjoy it there but there may be things that don't suit me?
Just took my Dexilant, it makes life and my tummy more peaceful if I take it when I first wake up.
If you feel like howling, you know you can always howl at me!😝

I went to my wonderful PCP. She has given me prescriptions for carafate and protonix. She also did a CMP to check my electrolytes and such. I’ve picked up some Isopure to try out. Not overly impressed with the orange, but it’s also not completely terrible so I guess that’s sort of a win? Lol. I also got some islotech42 to try. It is a little bit of a smaller bottle and has 42g of Protein in it. I think I should be able to find a winner somewhere in these.

HW: 311
SW: 255 VSG 5/10/18
CW: 236
First goal weight: 209
Second goal weight: 191 lbs
Third goal weight: 159 lbs
Final Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Sounds like Moondoggie' s personal vet is the best, glad you went and even gladder you got a few answers. Now your fur can smooth out, you can curl up on your doggie bed and get a little rest. I think you're gonna feel all better soon, I still think you made the right choices for your future health. 😛