Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated by progress

I am getting very frustrated, feeling super defeated, and overall worried. I had surgery on 5/2/18. My surgery weight was about 250 lb. It’s been 18 days and up until three or four days ago, my weight continued to move in a positive direction. I was able to get down to 239.4 lbs and within the last three days, I gained 2 lbs and now it seems I am at a stall. Should I be fluctuating or stalling this early with my weight? I’ve never “cheated” on the specified diet. I’m still in the puréed stage. I’m just getting upset because I feel like this is a prediction of my journey and it doesn’t seem positive. Any advice or experience sharing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It’s normal. There a lots of threads on here about stalls. Honestly your weight loss has been GREAT so far! Search 3 week stall in the search feature and you’ll see at least 50 topics on it :)

The body needs a reset period. I’ve heard others mention that while the numbers stay the same, often times their inches are changing!

Well it's been almost three weeks since your surgery. So that infamous "3 week stall" was going to happen. People stall either at 3 weeks or a little before that. But the weight loss will start back up again.

I know my stalls lasted a week each time and for me to break them, I either needed more of something like more Protein or I needed more exercise. There are other ways to break stalls besides those options but you're in the very beginning stages and right now, it's not really advisable to try them.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-124
GW-130
Size- 2, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 34C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

Thank you so much! I had no idea there was a such thing as a three week stall!

Thank you so much! I had no idea there was a such thing as a three week stall!

You're welcome. It's quite common. 🙂
You're not alone in having that experience. We've all had it.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-124
GW-130
Size- 2, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 34C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

Make sure to take photos of yourself in a door frame or use some other way to measure! My mom had this issue and I encouraged her to take photos and we realized even though her weight was stalled she was losing inches! It really helped her to see she was still making progress even if it wasn’t in pounds.

3 hours ago, bfriedman said:

I am getting very frustrated, feeling super defeated, and overall worried. I had surgery on 5/2/18. My surgery weight was about 250 lb. It’s been 18 days and up until three or four days ago, my weight continued to move in a positive direction. I was able to get down to 239.4 lbs and within the last three days, I gained 2 lbs and now it seems I am at a stall. Should I be fluctuating or stalling this early with my weight? I’ve never “cheated” on the specified diet. I’m still in the puréed stage. I’m just getting upset because I feel like this is a prediction of my journey and it doesn’t seem positive. Any advice or experience sharing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am right where you are in that I had surgery the same day and am currently on pureed food. The only things I would ask is are you (sorry) pooping well since backed up poop can cause weight gain and are you drinking plenty of Water. You will retain fluids if you are not drinking enough. On the pureed front, I am only doing chicken, cottage cheese, cauliflower and greek yogurt so far so basically only a few carbs. Not adding fruits or any other carbs for a while.

Hang in there!!

You are still healing and must give your body time.

It can be a frustrating process constantly weighing yourself so soon after surgery, and even beyond that. The temptation to compare what we are losing to what everyone around us is losing is so strong. But we are all a bit different, with different histories and different problems.

If you follow your program you will be successful. I’m losing quite a bit slower than I expected to, but I’m miles above where I would be without this surgery and that’s what I’m trying to stay focused on. Stalls will happen and we must push through as our bodies adjust to what we are doing.

I stalled for a good 6 weeks about 3 weeks post op, it was soooooo frustrating, but eventually ended. I think my body went into shock. I was certain I was going to be that rare person who this surgery didn't work for, but my body finally cooperated & it's been wonderful ever since. Don't give up, it will happen.

On 5/20/2018 at 11:12 AM, bfriedman said:

Welcome to the stall. As stated, your body WILL go through periods of "stall" or "re-calibration". If you have the means, get yourself a scale that does body fat as well. Once you transition to heavier/solid foods, and once you start hitting the gym more, you are going to potentially see more "gains"... for me, I weigh in every day, some days I increase, but body fat will decrease. So as long as 1 of the 2 sets of numbers is decreasing, I'm ok with that. As long as you are getting in the proper amounts of Water, Protein and exercise, you'll be just fine.