Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Staying accountable and emotional eating

On 24 May I'll be getting a gastric sleeve. I work a crazy day job sitting behind a desk for hours on end, rushing from one meeting to the next and eat all kinds of junk whenever I can. I have some serious anxiety/emotional eating issues that I am working through with a psychotherapist. I've booked in for weekly visits post op with the nurse at my GPs clinic so trying to stay accountable.

Any other tips on staying accountable with weight loss?

Anyone else an emotional eater that may have some advice for me?

On 24 May I'll be getting a gastric sleeve. I work a crazy day job sitting behind a desk for hours on end, rushing from one meeting to the next and eat all kinds of junk whenever I can. I have some serious anxiety/emotional eating issues that I am working through with a psychotherapist. I've booked in for weekly visits post op with the nurse at my GPs clinic so trying to stay accountable.

I think most of us have been emotional eaters! I had my surgery on April 25 and work in an office where, almost everyday, someone brings in doughnuts, Cookies, pastries, pies, etc. Before surgery, I was the first one to partake. Now, I can go in there and not have anything. I changed my mindset...food is no longer my "comfort". I worked with my psychologist and after the weight started dropping off, I'm determined not to put it back on.

HW: 256
SW: 238(4/25/18)
CW: 226
GW: 165

2 minutes ago, browneyez42 said:

I think most of us have been emotional eaters! I had my surgery on April 25 and work in an office where, almost everyday, someone brings in doughnuts, Cookies, pastries, pies, etc. Before surgery, I was the first one to partake. Now, I can go in there and not have anything. I changed my mindset...food is no longer my "comfort". I worked with my psychologist and after the weight started dropping off, I'm determined not to put it back on.

That's really impressive, well done!

That's really impressive, well done!

You can do it to...trust me, food was my bff! [emoji23]🤣[emoji2]

2 hours ago, SydneySleever said:

It sounds like you've got the right approach. Are you going to continue to see the psychtherapist for a while after surgery? I would. Best of luck on your procedure!

I have found that keeping a food log that you actually fill out through out the day keeps you honest. At first your stomach will likely keep you honest on its own but I found that seeing it written down added just enough of a guilty feeling to stay on track.

Of course I also found that keeping such a log was a great big chore and the minute I stopped logging my foods I started eating poorly....yo yo... Now that I have finally joined the 21st century and got me a smart phone it will be easier to do than carrying a big sheet of paper around.

8 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

It sounds like you've got the right approach. Are you going to continue to see the psychtherapist for a while after surgery? I would. Best of luck on your procedure!

Thanks - this made me feel a lot better. I am going to see the psychotherapist for some time, I'm learning a lot about myself! Thanks for the well wishes.

8 hours ago, CaribeRidge said:

I have found that keeping a food log that you actually fill out through out the day keeps you honest. At first your stomach will likely keep you honest on its own but I found that seeing it written down added just enough of a guilty feeling to stay on track.

Of course I also found that keeping such a log was a great big chore and the minute I stopped logging my foods I started eating poorly....yo yo... Now that I have finally joined the 21st century and got me a smart phone it will be easier to do than carrying a big sheet of paper around.

A food log sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the tip!

Great tips on here already. I would just add keep plenty of tasty healthy treats on hand, both savory and sweet. When you're tempted you can grab one of these instead of an unhealthy choice.

1 minute ago, sillykitty said:

Great tips on here already. I would just add keep plenty of tasty healthy treats on hand, both savory and sweet. When you're tempted you can grab one of these instead of an unhealthy choice.

You're so right! So many times I've fallen off the band wagon because I haven't been organised enough to have healthy options handy.

3 minutes ago, SydneySleever said:

So many times I've fallen off the band wagon because I haven't been organised enough to have healthy options handy.

Same here. That's how I ended up in the drive through, because I didn't have any healthy quick options available. Now I make sure I do.

AS above, a food log is good. I use MyFitnessPal on my phone and I like being able to see how I"m tracking through the day with overall calories and particularly Protein, so I can make sure I'm getting enough protein in by the end of the day. Water intake tracking is really good too.

14 minutes ago, Taoz said:

AS above, a food log is good. I use MyFitnessPal on my phone and I like being able to see how I"m tracking through the day with overall calories and particularly Protein, so I can make sure I'm getting enough Protein in by the end of the day. Water intake tracking is really good too.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have a squiz at the my fitness pal app, sounds like it could be very useful.

I work in the same kind of office food everywhere I literally mean that I am in Sales for a Food Distributor.

I also think we all emotionally eat/ate. 1 month inf from surgery and back to work now my 2nd week I find myself saying. I need to get some nutrition in me. I don't even say food anyone. When I say nutrition it reminds me I am taking care of my body and making good choices. I don't need the comfort foods anymore and they are most likely not good nutrition. Each day I make choices all day long. I could so easily have something I shouldn't but I put myself on this journey and am determined to see it through the best I can.