Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey there! I am 10 days post-op and I see my nurse and nutritionist on Tuesday to see if I can move on to soft solids. My question is, for those of you out of the starting phase, has anyone had an issue tolerating spicy food and Snacks? I know sweets are an issue, even right now I don't like things that are too sweet. Takis are my alltime favorite snack, and I would be heartbroken if I could no longer have them. (That and sushi haha). Obviously it would be in moderation due to it being a tortilla, but as an occassional snack, is it ok? What about spicy food for meals? Anyone have any insight on if this negatively affected them or if you were ok with it in small quantities? I an also curious about breaded (not deep fried) but breaded things such as chicken parmesan, is that still too much bread?

Thank you!! ♡

I had RNY and spicy foods have always been fine for me. I don' know about sleeve.

As far as Takis, I had to look them up. I would say that if you are thinking of eating these at just 10 days post-op, you need to reassess your strategy. Definitely don't have them now but you should try to stay away from them in the long term, too. At least that is my opinion. It is basically processed junk food. It won't hurt you but you will most likely gain weight back.

Breaded foods -- probably fine, though I don't really have an answer for that. I would say that if you can avoid breaded foods, the better off but I also don't think you should stress over it if you have something breaded, later. For now, you should follow the plan as closely as you can, especially in these early stages. You need to find a way to change your mindset on how you eat. But I'm also talking to myself because I did not and now I'm paying for it with regain and am struggling. Start attending support groups, meet with your NUT that sort of thing.

But best of luck -- the first few weeks are really hard and you do spend a lot of time obsessing over food. That goes away for a while but will eventually come back like a beast. If you can change how you eat now you will set yourself up for success later.

First of all, Takis are not food. They are highly processed chemicals full of unhealthy crap. There is no reason for anyone to eat them and since you now have limited food capacity they have no place in your diet. If you are "heartbroken" not to eat some junk food then you need to address that with counseling. I myself love kettle chips....especially the jalapeno ones....and I know they will have no place in my diet ever again. You can always do some research and identify some spicy/crunchy Snacks to make yourself and enjoy.

Spicy foods are likely tolerated on an individual basis as long as the ingredients are healthy and low calorie.

Breading things like chicken, fish and vegetables adds nothing but calories and fat and breaded foods also need to be avoided in weight loss and weight maintenance programs. Where I live in Texas, breaded stuff is almost like a religion. Since I have gluten sensitivity I do not eat breaded stuff at all. Before surgery I did eat cornmeal crusted fish and pecan crusted chicken once in a while but not even considering those until I have reached my goal. Again, do your research and find recipes that sound good to you and try them out.

Remember, nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels.

Edited by MIZ60

I was honestly just curious. I have no problem cutting out things that are bad for me. I was talking about, like I said in my previous post, not NOW, but way in the future out of the beginning stages. The being "heartbroken" was an exaggeration, as I would be bummed but just for a minute. I am already feeling so much better and I am not willing to jeopardize that. It's just hard to remember everything you can and can't have. But I guess it comes with us going back to a normal "healthy person" diet to make these changes!

I tolerate spicy very well. In fact, maybe better than I used to.

I always use hot peppers, hot sauce, anything spicy.

That's awesome!

Emersyn , spice adds acid in the stomach that is not good after surgery, plus can result in acid reflux , you add spices in future but go slow.....

No issues with spicy here- I’d stay away from Takis though 😮

Maybe try spicy hummus with veggies ?

Definitely go easy on spice as you add it back in, my tolerance was down to NOTHING in the first few weeks and now a month out I am definitely able to start adding spice back in!

And according to my surgeon and nutritionist, if I want to have a treat like a few takis down the line, I definitely can. The goal is to be careful and not let it get out of control and the therapist attached to my program has discussed with me the signs to look out for in regards to a healthy attitude around treats. Don't let the judgey judgersons get you down, @Emersyn ! We all have to do what it takes to make this a successful lifelong change and for some of us that means a taki or two once in a blue moon!

Of course! I don't think I could even do more than a couple anyways. But a treat would be nice once in a while! If my stomach says no, at least I tried and then I will know to avoid it!

Good luck. Agree w those who caution on stomach acid which can greatly increase w spicy foods. I am almost one month post op and have to do without spice. Hoping for a better future