Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, this is my first time on here, and hopefully I can find people I can relate to.

I have vertical sleeve surgery on April 10th, 2018. I am only 37 days post- op, but I still struggle very much eating or drinking. Drinking Water hurts my stomach. I try to drink a Protein Shake, and my stomach starts tossing and turning. I instantly feel sick. I never thought that drinking WATER would make me sick, yet here I am. I'm also having difficulties taking my Vitamins, and my medications. I really try to not skip any vitamins/medications, but sometimes my stomach cannot handle it. I'm on medications for bipolar disorder, so I can't just stop taking my meds, but some days, I feel too sick. I'm not sure what to do.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? I'm thinking I need to call my doctor Monday morning. :44_frowning2: I'd really like to hear other people if they were also struggling...

Yes, definitely call the doc. It could be something easy to handle, like too much acid, or it could be something major. In the meantime, try changing the temperature of your liquids. Try warm (not hot) tea or broth. Try adding your Protein Shake to Decaf coffee. Once you can handle the liquids and especially once there's something in your stomach (like the Protein shake), the meds will go down easier.

Try Soups. Try a clear Protein Drink instead of thick shake. Hang in there it gets better as you heal.

Hi, this is my first time on here, and hopefully I can find people I can relate to.

I have vertical sleeve surgery on April 10th, 2018. I am only 37 days post- op, but I still struggle very much eating or drinking. Drinking Water hurts my stomach. I try to drink a Protein Shake, and my stomach starts tossing and turning. I instantly feel sick. I never thought that drinking Water would make me sick, yet here I am. I'm also having difficulties taking my Vitamins, and my medications. I really try to not skip any vitamins/medications, but sometimes my stomach cannot handle it. I'm on medications for bipolar disorder, so I can't just stop taking my meds, but some days, I feel too sick. I'm not sure what to do.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? I'm thinking I need to call my doctor Monday morning. :44_frowning2: I'd really like to hear other people if they were also struggling...

All of this. I’m only 8 days out and this is where I am. I also have bipolar meds, but I can’t take them. I did well the first 5 days after surgery and now nothing wants to go down and stay down. I went to the ER yesterday and that was a complete clusterf**k. I’ve made an appointment with my PCP for Monday afternoon. Hopefully she’ll be able to help me out.
Let me know if you get this solved.

HW: 311
SW: 255 VSG 5/10/18
CW: 243.0
First goal weight: 209
Second goal weight: 191 lbs
Third goal weight: 159 lbs
Final Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

14 hours ago, moondoggie1983 said:

All of this. I’m only 8 days out and this is where I am. I also have bipolar meds, but I can’t take them. I did well the first 5 days after surgery and now nothing wants to go down and stay down. I went to the ER yesterday and that was a complete clusterf**k. I’ve made an appointment with my PCP for Monday afternoon. Hopefully she’ll be able to help me out.
Let me know if you get this solved.

CW: 243.0

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Taking Lithium is the worse. I threw up 10 minutes after taking them each time. I had to stop. :(

I hope everything works out for you <3

Taking Lithium is the worse. I threw up 10 minutes after taking them each time. I had to stop. [emoji20]
I hope everything works out for you

Not so much. I’m on trileptal 3 times a day. I just got the liquid delivered today because I haven’t been able to get the tablets down. I also take lamictal and that won’t go either so I just got the ODT version of that. $89! The klonopin and lunesta I can keep down long enough to get some benefits, but the trazadone is also a no go.
And the chewable Bariatric Vitamins and Calcium? Forget about it! That’s straight to barf city! Basically I just puke all the time now. I had been concerned that the VSG wasn’t working initially because I only lost like 3 lbs in the first 5 days. Thanks to not holding anything down I’m down 17lbs in 9 days. Everything went so well the first 5 days! I should have known it would go to poop soon! I have terrible luck. :(
I hope you’re doing better though

CW: 238.6

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

On 5/18/2018 at 2:26 PM, Charlisnewchapter said:

I have vertical sleeve surgery on April 10th, 2018. I am only 37 days post- op, but I still struggle very much eating or drinking. Drinking Water hurts my stomach. I try to drink a Protein Shake, and my stomach starts tossing and turning. I instantly feel sick. I never thought that drinking Water would make me sick, yet here I am. I'm also having difficulties taking my Vitamins, and my medications.

I has these same issues, for me they each had different causes.

Water hurt my stomach starting at 4 weeks post op. Now at 14 weeks post op, it still does but less so. In speaking to my surgeon's PA, I was told this is common, and nothing serious to worry about. Since it has been lessening, I'm hoping it will disappear totally at some point.

Protein Shakes made me severely nausea suddenly at 4 weeks post op as well. After some trail and error I realized it was whey Protein isolate that I was intolerant of. I'm now using a soy based powder and a casein based premade shakes, and no longer have this issue.

chewable vitamins were terrible, extreme nausea and sometimes vomiting. I tried multiple types, and the Centrum Complete chewables were ok, if I had at least something on my stomach. At 4 weeks I switched to pills, and they have been great. My surgeon's PA recommended Whole Foods Prenatal, and I can take them on an empty stomach with no problem.

Your issues may not have the same cause as mine, but just in case, hope this helps!

I’m just going to throw something random out in this thread. Obviously I’m still not keeping lots down, but I’ve accidentally discovered that if I have something red, the odds of my vomiting skyrocket. I’ve been doing only ice and crystal light lemonade today, and I’ve only thrown up twice. I’m wondering if perhaps I’ve developed a sensitivity to red dye. Since I couldn’t keep my Bariatric chewies down, I bought some flintstones Vitamins today because I’m something is better than nothing right? Wasn’t paying attention, chewed up a red one and 5 minutes later it came right back up. I know red 40 can cause hyperactivity in kids (and it actually made my insomnia worse when I was using the cherry sf koolaid). Now I’m wondering if it’s possible that the red dye is messing with me. I’m going to avoid anything red until my appointment on Monday and see how that goes. I just thought it was a weird development.

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

12 hours ago, moondoggie1983 said:

I’m just going to throw something random out in this thread. Obviously I’m still not keeping lots down, but I’ve accidentally discovered that if I have something red, the odds of my vomiting skyrocket. I’ve been doing only ice and crystal light lemonade today, and I’ve only thrown up twice. I’m wondering if perhaps I’ve developed a sensitivity to red dye. Since I couldn’t keep my Bariatric chewies down, I bought some flintstones Vitamins today because I’m something is better than nothing right? Wasn’t paying attention, chewed up a red one and 5 minutes later it came right back up. I know red 40 can cause hyperactivity in kids (and it actually made my insomnia worse when I was using the cherry sf koolaid). Now I’m wondering if it’s possible that the red dye is messing with me. I’m going to avoid anything red until my appointment on Monday and see how that goes. I just thought it was a weird development.

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Interesting! You might become a bariatric hero if you can figure this out!

Yipes this is a scary-wary forum today. Just looked at my shoebox with my current medications and started talking to them. FYI,I might be turning into my late Mama, she was on Fiorinal for years, she would hold one in her hand- typical conversation " Hello little pill. If I take you, what will you do to me? Will I feel better or are you just not going work?" About then I had to resist,tossing something at her like a pillow.
So my conversation: Will still be able to take you all, all,iyou need crushed or made into a liquid form? I'm used to you guys the way you are, never had trouble swallowing any of you but is that going to change? "
Geesh, I'm turning into my Mama after all!😪

Yipes this is a scary-wary forum today. Just looked at my shoebox with my current medications and started talking to them. FYI,I might be turning into my late Mama, she was on Fiorinal for years, she would hold one in her hand- typical conversation " Hello little pill. If I take you, what will you do to me? Will I feel better or are you just not going work?" About then I had to resist,tossing something at her like a pillow.
So my conversation: Will still be able to take you all, all,iyou need crushed or made into a liquid form? I'm used to you guys the way you are, never had trouble swallowing any of you but is that going to change? "
Geesh, I'm turning into my Mama after all!

I don’t know. A couple things I’ve had to change to liquids and one to ODT. The smaller things like lunesta and klonopin go down fine. Still can’t get those Bariatric chewies down.
I’ve been able to keep down a lot of water/ice/pedialyte the last couple days. That’s the good news. I had about 3/4 of a cup of egg drop Soup tonight and all but a small swallow stayed down. I’m getting protonix and carafate from the pharmacy tomorrow. My PCP called in the liquid form of carafate and my insurance doesn’t cover it (one week =$214!!!!). My pharmacy team knows about my WLS and assured me the carafate tablets that ARE covered by ins can be made into a slurry and they’ll tell me how when it gets changed tomorrow. So that should be fine. Tried Isopure orange today. Ick. Got about 1/2 the bottle down but it causes me to get dry mouth and then slime. I think Protein is just going to be difficult for me until I get to the retried Beans stage. Once I get there I’ll be able to mix in some flavorless Unjury powder. I even tried to jazz up the isopure with some sf kool aid. Better, but the aftertaste and dry mouth are just terrible! I did buy one of every flavor as well as another brand so I’m hoping I can find a winner amongst them.
But, feeling better today. Slowly but surely I guess.

CW: 236

5’6” 34 yo female in NC