Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GALS who started their journey over 300 lb+<br /> +

On 2/5/2021 at 3:57 PM, njlimmer said:

I think not seeing a difference until there's significant weight loss is one of those. I have friends who if they lose 10 pounds they're in a whole other size.

YES! Exactly. 10 pounds allows for a little extra room in my socks! :)

21 hours ago, TreeTrunks said:

YES! Exactly. 10 pounds allows for a little extra room in my socks! :)

YAS!! I took these this morning because I'm just starting to FEEL any difference.

progress feb 2021.jpg

1 hour ago, njlimmer said:

YAS!! I took these this morning because I'm just starting to FEEL any difference.

progress feb 2021.jpg

Congrats!!! Yes, definitely noticeable differences! Did you already have your surgery or is the pre-surg weight loss?

1 hour ago, TreeTrunks said:

Congrats!!! Yes, definitely noticeable differences! Did you already have your surgery or is the pre-surg weight loss?

Pre-surgery. My date is 3/2/21 so I'm hoping to lose another 10 between now and then. I figure anything I can lose now means more I can lose during my honeymoon phase. Plus, I'm trying to learn some better habits for afterward.

I started my journey to weight loss in 2019 at 389 pounds. Had my surgery January 23, 2020 at 321 pounds and today February 14, 2021 I finally hit ONEderland! I weighed myself this morning and after a 26 day stall I lost two pounds and weighed in today at 199.6! Never thought I'd get here to be honest, but I'm incredibly happy! For anyone starting their journey at over 300 pounds, it's possible to reach ONEderland, no matter how impossible it may seem! I just wanted to share that.

Started at 301 in August 2020, CW 279. Still pre-op though, didn’t know I couldn’t eat as much Protein as I was hungry for. Apparently 90g is the max for right now, despite what the gov’t says to eat to maintain muscle mass. (I’m not salty, lol) Just frustrated! Hoping to get a surgery date next month! Just wanted to put it out there. Happy Valentine’s Day y’all!

I am so glad to hear that others are having difficulty really seeing their progress. It's only been a few months and I've dropped about 52lbs. My clothes fit differently but even when I look at my progress photos I barely see it. Then sometimes I'll look in the mirror and notice something new. What's been getting me down a little is that no one around me is saying anything. I know they see my clothes becoming so baggy lol maybe they're afraid it will sound rude? I know I'm losing multiple lbs a week but I can't shake the feeling that it should be coming off faster. It's actually really frustrating in general. I was at 290 for forever then slammed up to 310 while working with the nutritionist and everything. It was like no matter what I ate or did it just kept going up. No thyroid problems or anything else. Now, it's a struggle to eat at all because I just don't want to. I have found some joy in exercise because the results are actually visible a bit quicker but some days are definitely harder than others.

1 hour ago, Christina J. said:

I am so glad to hear that others are having difficulty really seeing their progress. It's only been a few months and I've dropped about 52lbs. My clothes fit differently but even when I look at my progress photos I barely see it. Then sometimes I'll look in the mirror and notice something new. What's been getting me down a little is that no one around me is saying anything. I know they see my clothes becoming so baggy lol maybe they're afraid it will sound rude? I know I'm losing multiple lbs a week but I can't shake the feeling that it should be coming off faster. It's actually really frustrating in general. I was at 290 for forever then slammed up to 310 while working with the nutritionist and everything. It was like no matter what I ate or did it just kept going up. No thyroid problems or anything else. Now, it's a struggle to eat at all because I just don't want to. I have found some joy in exercise because the results are actually visible a bit quicker but some days are definitely harder than others.

I feel ya. I'm at 65lbs lost and just now having to get rid of clothes. I will say that I didn't get a lot of compliments or people noticing until I went to my smaller clothes.

I had the lapband a little over 10 years ago. I was almost 400 at my highest. When I started my process I was 386. With the band I lost 170 pounds highest to lowest. I then gained what doctors called happy weight when I met my boyfriend. It was about 10 pounds and that was where I stayed until I had my emergency surgery in October 2019 to remove my band. I lost my job and then covid hit. I regain a lot and now above 300 again. A number I promised myself I would never see. I remember the first day I weighed over 300 in the office at the doctors I just cried. I tried to be kind to myself. I’m scheduled for the sleeve 4-16. Was originally suppose to be 2-19 but was pushed back for different reasons. I’ve read a lot of posts on here that made me wonder if there were many ladies on here above 300. Glad I’m not alone. :)

I am so glad this thread exists! I was starting to feel a little discouraged seeing so many start out in the 200's when I am starting out in the 400's. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for all of them and their journeys, but I would really like to connect with women who are more like me.

Hello!! Just wanted to update and say it's definitely possible! I started this journey in Oct. 2020 at 311 and diabetic. Lost 45lbs before my March 2021 bypass, no longer diabetic, and today I hit ONEderland. I haven't seen this weight on a scale since 1995! Remember it's a journey - it's not a sprint or a quick fix.

Starting weight pre 6month diet: 335lb
Pre Op Weight: 339.8lb
Currently 5 months post op and sitting at 261lb (down 78.8)
Goal weight: 220 (I’m tall) and long term goal weight 195

Since this thread is active I figured I would update- I started at 339 and I hit 179 this morning. It literally took 75 lbs for anyone to notice. I am also 5’10 though.

I spent months thinking that I kept losing weight and it didn’t seem like it, only to one day feel like suddenly everybody noticed and my body started changing overnight. It takes us larger ladies more time to get there but it happens!

Here I am, still over 300 (I think: I don't have a scale at the moment). But I was 302 when last I weighed myself, and I've been doing some adjustments on what to eat where I am now (living in a motel without a proper kitchen--I started with a microwave, but have added a toaster-oven, an electric kettle, and a crock pot!).
I don't know if I'm losing more slowly than some other people because of my starting weight, my age/being post-menopausal, my diabetes, or the incorrect choices I've made. I don't spend a lot of time comparing myself with others--this is my journey and it's all about me, me, me!
I'm happy about what I've lost so far, but I'd certainly like to lose at least as much again. I'd like to really see a difference--I sometimes see myself in mirrors and think yeah, maybe there's some difference . . . but it hardly seems remarkable to me. I've thrown away four or five pairs of pants that seemed very loose and stretched out at the waistline, but I don't really think I've gone down more than one size, maybe. I've ordered three new pairs of pants, the first new clothes since my surgery nearly eight months ago. Will they be the right size? I should find out tomorrow.
One thing that is a bit discouraging is to see people who have lost about the same amount of weight as I have who are now only 20 or 30 pounds from their goals. I wonder what that is like? On the other hand, I'm not married to my goal--not the one in terms of numbers. My goals are more in terms of cutting medications and having my knees stop hurting (or be able to get them replaced, if that's the only option) and maybe, someday, being able to sit in an airplane seat and be relatively comfortable.
All that aside--am I glad I had this surgery? Hell, yes!
I love your positive attitude and that you don't compare yourself to others. You have your own personal goals and that's how it should be! I started at 350. In 11 days I'll be 1 year post op and only at -135. Not bad, but it should be a lot more. I don't follow what I should be doing because I can only tolerate a few select foods. But many are not that good, so I eat smaller amounts. My dietician is NOT happy. He's VERY rude. (Thought he was going to have a major melt down when I said pizza. Like I eat it all at one sitting!) But my doctor said I can do it this way, so I'm listening to him. I think my goal wgt is another 35 lbs, but I'm having the skin removal surgery too, so it may be less. Not sure how much weight that'll be when removed. That consult appt is in 10 days. Also in process of the first knee replacement surgery in November. No cartilage left. Can only do one at a time. Should be all fixed up by spring of next year. Can't wait! Best of luck and stay your positive self!

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was 332 when I started the preop diet. I’m 4 mons post op, and I’ve lost over 90lbs. The challenges are that it takes awhile for you to really see a difference. I was nearly 80lbs before I started getting compliments. My stomach is holding on for dear life. My legs, arms, and chest went right away.

Our boobs always go first!!! (Crying!)

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app