Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GALS who started their journey over 300 lb+<br /> +

On 9/2/2018 at 5:40 PM, KimTriesRNY said:

How do others deal with the voices that tell you that you can't do this, or make you ashamed of ever getting this size?

My highest wt was 368, consult wt 350, and 8 weeks post-op have been stalled at 314 for two weeks. Very demoralizing. In some respects I still feel I'm at 368. Stalls create feeling of O boy, here it comes -- another Epic Fail at losing weight, like its something in my DNA I can never overcome. But I don't feel ashamed anymore after learning obesity is a disease -- a chronic disease -- a chronic, deadly disease. And we don't know a singular cause of it. Yet. I am working on this, and realize it is very much a mental game element we must overcome. My best self tells me to look at the NSVs (non-scale victories), to look how far I've come, look for small goals in terms of more exercise, and journal. I do track Protein, and get 60-90g per day, but it's not enough to quell cravings and there's not enough variety to provide the satisfactin of a tasty meal. I'll try to make tomorrow a better day. I really need my body to end this stall. I am glad for this site, and glad we can lean on one another and share our journey with others who understand.

On 9/2/2018 at 6:42 PM, Frustr8 said:

2 and a half days until,SueSaBelle and. I have our surgeries. Wish us both good luck and keep us in your minds September 5th, okay?

@Frustr8 So happy your BIG DAY finally, FINALLY arrived, and hoping you and SueSaBelle are doing well. Check in with us when you're able!

Thinking of you and hope to hear good news soon @Frustr8 and SueSaBelle.

9 hours ago, nibble said:

My highest wt was 368, consult wt 350, and 8 weeks post-op have been stalled at 314 for two weeks. Very demoralizing. In some respects I still feel I'm at 368. Stalls create feeling of O boy, here it comes -- another Epic Fail at losing weight, like its something in my DNA I can never overcome. But I don't feel ashamed anymore after learning obesity is a disease -- a chronic disease -- a chronic, deadly disease. And we don't know a singular cause of it. Yet. I am working on this, and realize it is very much a mental game element we must overcome. My best self tells me to look at the NSVs (non-scale victories), to look how far I've come, look for small goals in terms of more exercise, and journal. I do track Protein, and get 60-90g per day, but it's not enough to quell cravings and there's not enough variety to provide the satisfactin of a tasty meal. I'll try to make tomorrow a better day. I really need my body to end this stall. I am glad for this site, and glad we can lean on one another and share our journey with others who understand.

I’m not sure why you quoted me quoting someone else’s question in your original response but thank you for sharing.

I think I qualify for this group. My highest weight was 325lbs and that was 18 years ago. My toughest weight loss journey began in 2000 and I was able to see-saw between 260 and 280lbs for quite a few years by low carbing. But no matter how much I adjusted my low carb life I just wasn't able to lose below the 260lb deck. I'm not even sure what that BMI would be? I only know I was miserable. And I finally surrendered a couple of years ago and threw out all of my skinny (size 14s) that I'd kept from high school on--just in case I "could" lose the weight. I really felt hopeless and like I would be doomed to living in a 260 or bigger body for the rest of my life. And my oncologist was gently, insistently, encouraging me to lose weight, lose weight, lose weight, have WLS. And I just kept getting mad at him, feeling embarrassed and frustrated, defeated, humiliated and like I was a ginormous epic fail.

The day I went to see my PCP with a staff infection in my foot, I weighed 287lbs. My BMI was around 49/50. I felt like I was dying and I wouldn't live much longer. I basically lived in my recliner chair and couldn't tolerate much walking or standing. I limited my showers cuz it was just so difficult getting in and out of the tub. I truly don't know how Mr. F. could stand me. I could barely stand myself. There was zero self-love left at that point.

I never have fully believed I could lose the weight. I never thought I would ever be under 200lbs again, nor believed I would ever see my old high school weight (150s). But here I sit--about 18 months-ish later at 162lbs. I'm only 12 pounds from my first goal. And I still nail-bite my food and over-plan every day. I'm still my own worst critic and have a raging case of body dysmorphia for which I am seeking help. I can empirically see how much weight I've lost, but I am unable to see myself as others see me. To me, I'm still fat, still so imperfect. And feel like I have a long way to go to reach my true goal of being in the normal weight category with a normal BMI. That's anything south of 145lbs for me--but honestly it feels as far away an unattainable as it did when I weighed 287lbs or 325lbs.

But somehow, this surgery, the attention to eating healthy, the exercise, the support community has helped me take baby steps down to where I am today. I've lost 124lbs. That amazes me. I just have to pray every day I can maintain my losses and be on guard against complacency that causes me to slide back into piss-poor habits and self-indulgent behaviors.

You guys are all a great group of women! And I look forward to watching your journeys.

So happy for Frustr8 to finally get the surgery she's worked so hard for!!! Congrats! You will be a rockstar!

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

You guys are all a great group of women! And I look forward to watching your journeys.

Welcome to the group! Glad you finally joined the fun :)

3 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Welcome to the group! Glad you finally joined the fun :)

Thanks for lettin me in sweetie!

On 5/27/2018 at 8:35 PM, sleeve4me2018 said:

Hey ladies! Newbie here! 😊
Like many of you, I am in a six-month pre-op program. I’m only two months in, so my surgery - the sleeve - will most likely be in October 2018. So far I have met with my surgeon and had a session with a dietician.
My starting weight on 4/26/18 at my consultation with my surgeon was 398 pounds. My current weight today (5/27/18) is 406.4 pounds (also my highest weight).
I just wanted to take a minute to say hello and introduce myself. I look forward to supporting each other throughout our individual journeys! 😊

I am also in WV and my surgery will be in October 2018! Are you in the Charleston area, too?! We need all the support we can get, and this page is great!! I'm a newbie too, but what I've seen so far is that most everyone is very encouraging and I love that we can all relate to one another on the same level ❤️

Just an update! I was approved for surgery back in the beginning of August, but they were all booked up for September so I will be getting my RNY October 8th! So excited! I waited a month to get my surgery date and I was starting to get discouraged and rethink the whole thing

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Love this topic! Started at 353 in July 2015, lost my first 100 lbs in six months, got down to around 185 in a year and just sort of went back to eating junk. I really liked how I looked and carried my weight well, but the pounds began to creep back on. In May, I found myself back at 215 and VERY unhappy about it. Been back on the high protein/low carb/no sugar thing since then, and now I'm actually lower than when I originally stopped losing! Only 29 lbs to go until I'm in the healthy BMI range, but I've got hips/thighs/boobs and wear a size 8/10, so I feel pretty good. Go on 12 mile hikes every weekend, currently training for 5k. It's so weird considering I've been above the 300 lb mark my entire adult life!

Just make sure you connect with people who live a healthy life or do activities with you! The hardest thing was having to distance myself from people who constantly pushed food/alcohol/unhealthy stuff despite my protests, and folks who ONLY wanted to hang out when food was involved. Get you some fitness buddies and you'll be good!

You are inspiring me! My BMI just fell below 50 on my last visit. 28 pounds down since preop diet started with 8/22 surgery. We can do this!

Checking in to say I am doing really well. I am grateful for this opportunity to work on loving myself. For a moment, I felt bad because I told my Mom and brother that I appreciate them wanting to come see me but I am not up to having visitors. My Mom did not want me to have this surgery and my weight has been an issue between us since I was 11 years old. That's 37 years of judgement and advice on how no man will look at you if your fat. She was wrong about that, my hubby of 6 years is amazing. Mom was a little upset when I called her but I have to do what is best for me right now. Some of the emotional issues my therapist warned me about are being revealed and I have to learn how to feel things instead of eating the pain and guilt away. Right now I am walking and journalling.
How does everyone else handle the emotional ticking time bombs that come up when you least expect it?

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 09/10/2018 at 05:22, SueSaBelle said:

Checking in to say I am doing really well. I am grateful for this opportunity to work on loving myself. For a moment, I felt bad because I told my Mom and brother that I appreciate them wanting to come see me but I am not up to having visitors. My Mom did not want me to have this surgery and my weight has been an issue between us since I was 11 years old. That's 37 years of judgement and advice on how no man will look at you if your fat. She was wrong about that, my hubby of 6 years is amazing. Mom was a little upset when I called her but I have to do what is best for me right now. Some of the emotional issues my therapist warned me about are being revealed and I have to learn how to feel things instead of eating the pain and guilt away. Right now I am walking and journalling.
How does everyone else handle the emotional ticking time bombs that come up when you least expect it?

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

First off good for you for saying what you need to your mom and brother. That is huge and really hard.

Honestly I’m still figuring out how to deal with those time bombs that are lying in wait for me to to trip in them. Right now I make sure I don’t turn to food as that comfort. It’s a mental game. Sometimes it’s just taking a moment to concentrate on my breathing. Basically shutting my eyes and my brain off and hearing off to just listen to my breathing. I’ll then work towards asking myself gently why I was triggered and work from there. Sometimes I just need a hug so I’ll get that from my Mr or a snuggle from my kitties or pup. Sometimes I’ll just go for a quick walk even just around the block. Sometimes I’ll vent text my best girl friend. Sometimes I’ll just take a really long drink of Water to let my brain catch up. Basically I have a list of things I try to do instead of turning to eating.

I will also get up and walk around the house! :)

On 9/10/2018 at 8:22 AM, SueSaBelle said:

have to do what is best for me right now.

You are so correct about that, and each time you say NO to someone it will get easier and easier. You are putting boundaries around you and teaching others how you expect to be treated. You walk, and you journal, girl. If others have a problem with your focus on attending to YOUR needs, then the problem is THEIRS, not yours. You are not responsible for their reaction. Coping with the feelings is another issue, and the strategy will be different for everyone. For me, I journal, look at the charts I keep about my progress so far and congratulate myself. Under extreme stress, I do scream therapy: take a pillow and scream as loud as you can into it. I usually end up laughing at how ridiculous I must look, but it works!