Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GALS who started their journey over 300 lb+<br /> +

While scrolling through past postings I noticed there is" Guys who started over 400lbs" in the Guys Room. Well I believe if there is" gravy for the 🐔rooster" there certainly should be "gravy for the🐔 hen " especially those of us with meatier🍗 drumsticks. Are there challenges we face that aren't faced by our 200 lb sisters? Do we tend to lose weight faster or slower than smaller🐣 flock members?
Weigh in my sisters, weigh in!

Well here it sets still. My biggest complaint with also being 320 and post'menopausal my metabolism is such I barely lose any weight with my exercise, whereas my younger sisters drop weight like a scared rabbit. Do you feel like life is not always fair?😕

I started at 362 at my consult and lost 92 pounds before surgery. I’m down 10 pounds since then (2 weeks ago). I am 5 feet even. I agree with AshAsh, it has taken a long time for me to see a difference. And I worry that the honeymoon period will not be long enough for me to lose as much weight as I would like. The other piece for me has been psychological—there don’t seem to be many women my size or larger here (starting BMI was 70) and so I feel still like an outlier and there are fewer examples of people who have been successful at my size or larger. It would be great to support other women with higher weights.

Here I am, still over 300 (I think: I don't have a scale at the moment). But I was 302 when last I weighed myself, and I've been doing some adjustments on what to eat where I am now (living in a motel without a proper kitchen--I started with a microwave, but have added a toaster-oven, an electric kettle, and a crock pot!).

I don't know if I'm losing more slowly than some other people because of my starting weight, my age/being post-menopausal, my diabetes, or the incorrect choices I've made. I don't spend a lot of time comparing myself with others--this is my journey and it's all about me, me, me!

I'm happy about what I've lost so far, but I'd certainly like to lose at least as much again. I'd like to really see a difference--I sometimes see myself in mirrors and think yeah, maybe there's some difference . . . but it hardly seems remarkable to me. I've thrown away four or five pairs of pants that seemed very loose and stretched out at the waistline, but I don't really think I've gone down more than one size, maybe. I've ordered three new pairs of pants, the first new clothes since my surgery nearly eight months ago. Will they be the right size? I should find out tomorrow.

One thing that is a bit discouraging is to see people who have lost about the same amount of weight as I have who are now only 20 or 30 pounds from their goals. I wonder what that is like? On the other hand, I'm not married to my goal--not the one in terms of numbers. My goals are more in terms of cutting medications and having my knees stop hurting (or be able to get them replaced, if that's the only option) and maybe, someday, being able to sit in an airplane seat and be relatively comfortable.

All that aside--am I glad I had this surgery? Hell, yes!

@SunshinePrincess are you out v there?

hello, started in July of last year with the process to rny. In the middle of the 6 month program I went on vacation and when I returned weighed in at my highest , 378! Day of surgery I weighed 363 and am so close to the 200’s. I remember my surgeon(who no longer performs surgery bc of all of its complications, he told me after my surgery) told me the closer to a BMI of 60 the less likely of long term success. At my highest my BMI was 61. I’ve only been in the 300 for the past 2 years or so and prior was mid 200s. My BMI is now exactly 50 and I love watching it go down. I will succeed and am bettering myself and my body everyday. Since surgery I’ve lost a little over 50 pounds and can tell a huge difference but do not get many comments from other. I know once I’m down another 20 it will be more obvious bc my clothes are now pretty big and loose.

Hw-378
Sw- 363 (2/27/18)
CW-310.6

11 hours ago, brightfaith said:

I started at 362 at my consult and lost 92 pounds before surgery. I’m down 10 pounds since then (2 weeks ago). I am 5 feet even. I agree with AshAsh, it has taken a long time for me to see a difference. And I worry that the honeymoon period will not be long enough for me to lose as much weight as I would like. The other piece for me has been psychological—there don’t seem to be many women my size or larger here (starting BMI was 70) and so I feel still like an outlier and there are fewer examples of people who have been successful at my size or larger. It would be great to support other women with higher weights.

We should keep this thread going! I like the idea of being able to support each other and see if there are any trends, ect.

Thanks Frust for putting it together!

I started at 333.
I had bypass May 7th. Below 300 now.
I don’t notice a difference when I look at myself, but I have been able to wear some things I couldn’t before.

4 hours ago, AshAsh1 said:

@istytehcrawk

join the party!

I'm here, I'm here!

When I initially started the process three years ago (this week, actually), I was at 416. Lost some, gained some, then switched programs, started my new program, gained some more at first (I wasn't the best at eating on-plan pre-op) and had my highest weight at 427.4 in January. Surgery weight was 413. Down to 354 now, 13 weeks post-op.

Hey everyone. I started around 310 (possibly, I always get the conversion of kg to lb mixed up) and I have lost around 35-40 lb already. Nearly 3 weeks post op.

Most people in my life have been totally supportive. Then there are the others lol... My best friend's first comment when I told her I was having the surgery was "God, now I'm going to be the fat one".

Well if I were from the Southern US I'd bat my eyelashes and say "You'll still be my Big Guy" or "I'll look up to you honey!" Alas I am a Midwestern gal and would say only "Well duh!", did my share of fawning over men in the past, no more. I've lived too long, had enough put downs to ever play that game again. I guess I've developed late stage spunkiness, it is really no fun to be a wet soggy doormat people wipe their feet on, nobody respects a doormat, don't you know. Just because I'm a big girl it does not mean I am a dumb girl. We are as bright if not brighter than most people. And people better start respecting me, smart aleck answer-"before I knock some sense into them". But wiser woman answer: "because I've worked hard to get to where I am now in life"
And also when you try,to knock sense into some people, it flies through their head, out the opposite ear and lands on the ground. Just don't have the desired result.
Story from my own life. My late husband and indeed most of his family thought- you should talk loudly and in a disparaging tone to others, then the will be motivated to do better. But,that's not the way to treat me, I would crumple inside, it robbed me of joy and belief in my own self-worth. And the song around my ears at that time? You're nobody until a man loves you. And I "bought,into it" after all that was,how my parents and society, viewed things. Emotional crippled me until, even at my age, I find it hard people l can love or even like me for just myself, not an extension of someone else. I am trying to shed those shackles and braces and stand confidently on my own.😓😝

Frustr8, I hear you loud and clear. I've recently been "chatting" with quite a few guys on a dating website. It has taken me a long, long time to get to the point where I can just say what I want and wait for someone who is worthy of me (!!) to answer or to step up to the plate. A guy I had a lunch date with today emailed me this morning that he couldn't make it, "too much going on." Really? He's the one who picked the time. Next!!

Another guy wanted to come to my motel room (where I'm currently living, waiting for an apartment to become available) with some wine or beer, even after I told him I don't drink. I've made it clear that I'll meet someone for lunch, but I'm not inviting someone I've never met into my room! And so it goes--I won't give out my phone number (too many scammers out there) and I won't join Hangouts or whatever the latest online chat thing is.

I'll protect myself as much as necessary, and the right guy will understand that. This isn't rocket science: say you want to meet and show up. We can go from there . . . if you seem compatible.

Good luck to all on this journey. I bought new clothes for the first time since my surgery and I think I could have bought a size smaller. Woo hoo!

1 hour ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

Good luck to all on this journey. I bought new clothes for the first time since my surgery and I think I could have bought a size smaller. Woo hoo!

My mum keeps telling me to buy new clothes or try on some of my older clothes on. Even though I've lost 16kg already, I worry that it hasn't made a difference. I haven't noticed one. And I don't want to be disappointed.