Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid post-op diet sucks

5 hours ago, t1018ross said:

I was sleeved on 5/7 and I'm so done with this liquid phase too. I get to start pureed foods Monday and have to do that for 3 weeks then 2 weeks of soft foods and finally solids on June 25! I can't stand the Protein Shakes. They are so sweet and nasty. I started getting a few hunger pains this past week but still don't have the desire to eat because I'm so sick of everything I'm allowed to have at this point. Anyone having a hard time with the Vitamins? I can't stomach them at all. I've been grumpy and moody and regretting this decision half the time. But when I look at pictures of my fat self I'm glad I did it. Hope it gets easier with the pureed stage.

I feel the same as you. I can't wait til I can eat eggs and cheese in a few days. It will be heavenly. I am having hunger pangs. I have been eating Tomato Soup and chicken broth. I have been dreaming about hamburgers and pizza. I know I can't eat them at this point but it is nice to fantasize.

I had my sleeve on 5/9 and I am also so done with the liquids. You are so lucky to have eggs. I have to wait until Wednesday. I don’t have to do a puréed stage, but 2-4 weeks of soft food. I don’t care, soft or puréed, is fine with me because it’s been a month without much! I can’t believe I’ve made it this far! We are all stronger than we may think!!!

I had my sleeve on 5-7 and I’m at the point where I can’t take much more of this liquid diet. I wonder if we can have a one Protein Bar and just grind it up and mince it the rest of the way in our mouths. Anyone else have any ideas? I go to my post-op appt this coming Wednesday 5-23 I’m not sure if I have to stay on this liquid diet till then or I can start puréed foods on Monday. Any suggestions?

I wouldn’t. I have 4 stages after vsg. Liquid, full liquid, purée and soft, and then normal. Bars aren’t allowed until stage 4. If anything, I’d try a little unsweetened apple sauce, sf pudding or cottage cheese. Maybe even try a scrambled egg. I tried to move into full liquid early, with some strained cream of chicken Soup, and now I can’t keep anything down. I’m like 99% sure that the 1/4 of soup I had didn’t cause this, but I wouldn’t take the risk. And I certainly wouldn’t try to move to a full textured and solid good right out of the liquid phase.

HW: 311
SW: 255 VSG 5/10/18
CW: 238.6
First goal weight: 209
Second goal weight: 191 lbs
Third goal weight: 159 lbs
Final Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

8 hours ago, SAU said:

Is anyone hungry? What is your hunger level?

I thought I was hungry but realized my gas pain and my preop hunger pain are exactly the same. So, as of yet (1 week), I haven't been hungry.

Is it only me but I’m on week 2 and I’ve have yet to drink or complete on of my Protein Shakes. I can’t stand to drink them, I know Protein is important but I figured once I’m at soft food stage than I can have some chicken. I’m on liquid/ purée but I only purée tuna one time. I went don’t well. I only had to little cup it took me about a hour and half . But for the most part I’m still on liquid. Soups are good once u have variety.

Just took a quarter bowl of Boston Market chicken Tortilla without anything in it.....threw it in a pan with some chicken stock....and then strainned it after it was nicely mixed....lol...took maybe three spoons and was done.....lol.....like...I want to go to sleep right now....

5/16 and suuuuper tired of liquid! I’m so ready for a few bites of creamy Soup it’s not even funny. I’m such a savory person and it seems like every little thing is sweet and it’s driving me insane!

Is anyone using chewing gum to help satisfy the desire to chew? I’m planning on doing this when I start my pre liquid phase tomorrow in preparation for my 4 June date

Is anyone using chewing gum to help satisfy the desire to chew? I’m planning on doing this when I start my pre liquid phase tomorrow in preparation for my 4 June date

I'm sure you can do it pre-op, but doing so post op will cause gas!

HW: 256
SW: 238(4/25/18)
CW: 226
GW: 165

Hmmmn I've seen posters on here stating they can't have chewing gum. Don't know if it's worries about sugar content, feasts it could be swallowed,and block something or if surgeon's think,of it as a nasty habit.
FYI as a teenager I did eat gum, I'd,get so hungry towards the end I would break it in small peices, swallow it to appease the Hunger Monster,in my gut. Haven't done that since,i grew up nut it would be bad for me as I'm planning a gastric bypass, that could get stuck in the opening between my pouch and intestine.😙

Thanks frustr8 & brown eyes didn’t think of the gas impact or the accidental swallowing. Hmm will have to think of something else post op.

Switch it up. I never was a sweets person so CalStat was high Protein and low volume. I put it in 2-3 oz of Tazo passion tea and it was bliss! Your tastebuds have changed.

Hmmmn I've seen posters on here stating they can't have chewing gum. Don't know if it's worries about sugar content, feasts it could be swallowed,and block something or if surgeon's think,of it as a nasty habit.
FYI as a teenager I did eat gum, I'd,get so hungry towards the end I would break it in small peices, swallow it to appease the Hunger Monster,in my gut. Haven't done that since,i grew up nut it would be bad for me as I'm planning a gastric bypass, that could get stuck in the opening between my pouch and intestine.

It’s because it causes you to swallow air, so it gives you terrible gas. Same idea as straws.

HW: 311
SW: 255 VSG 5/10/18
CW: 236
First goal weight: 209
Second goal weight: 191 lbs
Third goal weight: 159 lbs
Final Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

On 05/17/2018 at 19:32, Bryn910 said:

I am in the same boat. I am 7 days post-op and my doc requires you to be on an all liquid diet for 3 weeks after surgery.

sugar free popsicles, Water, Protein Drinks, broth & sugar free jello....for three weeks lol, ugh.

My doctor requires the same. I’m not looking forward to it 😩

On 5/20/2018 at 9:48 AM, luvly718 said:

Is it only me but I’m on week 2 and I’ve have yet to drink or complete on of my Protein Shakes. I can’t stand to drink them, I know Protein is important but I figured once I’m at soft food stage than I can have some chicken. I’m on liquid/ purée but I only purée tuna one time. I went don’t well. I only had to little cup it took me about a hour and half . But for the most part I’m still on liquid. Soups are good once u have variety.

Track what you are having with something like MyFitnessPal to get an idea of how much Protein you are getting in daily. You want to be getting at least 60g protein EVERY DAY, preferably a bit more. If you aren't managing to take any of your Protein Shakes and aren't having any substitute protein supplements you are probably taking in well below your daily protein needs. You REALLY want to be getting enough protein in, especially during the rapid weight loss stage, or you will lose some of your lean muscle mass/organ weight along with the fat loss, and less muscle means slower metabolism.

When you get to soft foods you can eat some stuff like chicken, but you'll only fit in 1/3 cup or so, which is about 5g protein. or a whole scrambled egg, which is 7g, and that's a whole meal in the early weeks. So you are still going to need additional Liquid Protein sources until you get like 2-3 months out and are able to eat enough in your meals to get 60g+ protein from food through the day.

I struggle with the texture/artificial nature of the shakes too, but find protein Water a lot easier to drink (the Bodie'z protein water I have here in Australia is stevia sweetened and not overly sweet). Other options are Proteins like collagen Hydrolysate which is derived from Gelatin and is pretty much tasteless and can be added to a cup of tea/coffee or a bowl of thin Soup for a 14.5g protein boost. Similarly, real home made chicken stock has about 6g protein per cup, so if you can drink some of this, or make your Soups from it, you get a decent amount in during the day. Commercial/canned soups probably have very little protein per cup (check labels). Skim or 1% milk also has about 9g protein per cup (but also has a fair few sugar calories).

I now have first thing in the morning my 2 shots of Decaf coffee with about 2/3 cup hot 1% milk + benefibre + 15g Collagen Hydrolysate mixed in, which gives me 21g protein right off the bat.