Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym People

9 hours ago, allwet said:

wow a level of wrong so deep you will never make the surface before you drown

fat does not raise blood sugar

carbs will raise blood sugar / increased blood sugar will raise insulin level

as long as you have increased insulin level you will burn NO stored body fat.

You are so lost in the 1990's that it dangerous for you to even open your mouth

The problem with depending upon the latest diet fads is that they tend to ignore history, as in all those people from the 90's who successfully navigated their WLS, even when low fat diets were the "in" thing, not to mention that there is little in the diet world that hasn't been tried before and found wanting - that's why the diet industry cycles between diets (what's old is new again!) and why the obesity crisis continues unchecked despite the major pendulum swing toward low carb these past couple decades. It sorta makes one conclude that things are a lot more complex than macro nutrient elimination or the hormone of the day (insulin, leptin, cholesterol, etc.) Keep the faith, and it will keep you all the way until low fat diets are back "in" again.

Recently returned to therapy at the gym affiliated with my hospital. Not so much worried about beautiful rippling muscles, just rebuilding a little strength and stamina. And at 72 that's cool enough for me!👵😝

8 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

There's an awesome book, that I kinda look on as the "bible" of low carb sports physiology that debunks a lot of the myths that circulate about low carb Keto diets. Written by two docs who are very well-respected researchers at the fore-front of sports medicine and endurance athletics science.

The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance - by Drs. Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek

It's a pretty mind-blowing book, actually.

There are a lot of books out there that cater to those who want, or need, to follow a particular popular diet but also want to enjoy athletic pursuits that may be inhibited by deficiencies inherent in such diets. They make the initial assumption that the diet is primary and physiological performance is secondary - how do I overcome the limitations imposed by the diet - and are typically aimed toward the weekend warrior who wants to stay faithful to their chosen diet rather than the serious amateur or pro athlete who needs to maximize their performance. We are an adaptable species so we can get by with a lot of limitations, so we can make compromises.

Philosophically, I would rather optimize the nutrition to help the body work its best, even if my demands aren't that of a serious athlete, rather than compromise physiological performance for the sake of the current, and changing, hypothesis of the "ideal" weight loss diet; particularly since for most in the WLS realm, dietary style is an insignificant factor to weight loss success. It makes little difference what kind of diet one is on, you're going to lose a ton of weight that first year after surgery - may as well go for the long term and nurture the habits that you need to sustain yourself and control your weight over the long term rather than worrying about which diet is today's vision of the optimal weight loss diet for the masses.

This topic got really opinionated and sour in a hurry...sheesh