Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! I actually got gastric sleeve 2 years ago in March, and it was a failed surgery due to the surgeon not taking out enough of my stomach. I'm scheduled to get a revision bypass done on May 30th! Is anyone else having surgery on that date? (different hospital and different surgeon!)

Also, my doc has an extremely strict 2 weeks pre op liquid diet, where I can only drink 5 GNC lean Protein Shakes, black coffee, and sugar/calorie free drinks... I'm on day 2 and it sucks! Any one else have to do something like this?

20 minutes ago, miss_smiles said:

Hey everyone! I actually got gastric sleeve 2 years ago in March, and it was a failed surgery due to the surgeon not taking out enough of my stomach. I'm scheduled to get a revision bypass done on May 30th! Is anyone else having surgery on that date? (different hospital and different surgeon!)

Also, my doc has an extremely strict 2 weeks pre op liquid diet, where I can only drink 5 GNC lean Protein Shakes, black coffee, and sugar/calorie free drinks... I'm on day 2 and it sucks! Any one else have to do something like this?

Not exactly the same date but close-ish. I’m May 25th and I’ll have been on the same diet as you for 7days tomorrow. Days 1 and 2 were the worst for me. Now I’m ok but feel like even food that I don’t like looks tasty. The diet is necessary though, the doctors need to reduce the size of the liver so that your surgeon can do the procedure optimally. Hang in there it gets better in the next few days. I can have also have broth on mine, you should check with your surgeon.

Ahhh congrats! So exciting. & thanks for the words of wisdom. I can have broth, but only after I finish my Protein. I think I will get some today! Glad to know it gets better, I constantly feel lightheaded, but on a positive note I lost 3 pounds in 1 day :) how much did you lose already?

Edited by miss_smiles

Ahhh congrats! So exciting. & thanks for the words of wisdom. I can have broth, but only after I finish my Protein. I think I will get some today! Glad to know it gets better, I constantly feel lightheaded, but on a positive note I lost 3 pounds in 1 day [emoji4] how much did you lose already?

3 pounds is great! I haven’t checked BUT my clothes fit a little looser. Definitely gets better— the first 2 days my head felt like a Pez dispenser. Oh and for your coffee you can mix your flavored Protein in like a Creamer. I have the pre-mixed liquid Premiere shakes, so it actually tastes like a flavored creamer. I will probably continue that trick post-surgery!

“I know that I’m in my own little world—but it’s ok, they like me here.”

2 hours ago, BrittneyCaseyJoy said:

Day 9 on a similar 2 week liquid diet for surgery on the 23rd. Down 9 pounds. Days 3,4 and 5 were the hardest for me. Hang in there.

Thanks girl. Almost done with day 2, I just had a breakdown at work. It is so hard to concentrate. And, last night my hunger pains woke me up at 5am. Good to know it gets better!

Hi everyone,

I'm having gastric bypass on 30th May - my 43rd birthday! I'm hugely excited and terrified in almost equal measure.

Been on the milk only diet - just finished day three. Think I am about 5 lbs down so far.

What a small world my mother's maiden was Hubbell, our ancestors came from Ribsford Parish in Worchester, if you have any ties to there we are indeed distant cousins, the branch who at the time of the American Revolution and became United Empire Loyalists(known in the US as Tories) and moved to Ontario Canada, spell theirs Hubble and are the family the Hubble Telescope are named after, Curious, when doing further research we found out my father's ancestors came from Lancaster so both branches came from within 60 miles of each other. My paternal greatgrandmother, Mary Scott, came from Edinburgh, and from her came probably the Celtic red-gold hair if not the Malones in Northern Ireland , on my maternal side. In my youth I stood just under 6 feet tall, taller than either parent, now my bariatric surgeon says I'm 5ft8in so my spine must shortened down or my weight drug me down. I currently am at 320 or so, down from 355, a nice weight if I were hurling a caber at the Highland Games but more than a mite too heavy for day to day life. Still I have lasted for 72 years and with surgerys help I pray to last a little longer on this earth. I will talk on most any subject, if you have any more questions about bariatric surgery I'll do my best to help. I have trying to receive it since August 2015, quite a story there,but have had plenty time to do research. May not know it all😝 but I do know a fair amount! And in the meantime⏰ I am chief cook,🍳 bottlewasher 🍼and cheerleader📣 for everyone else. If you want to chat I'm always in reach of my smartphone📞And I too will be having RnY bypass--- within a month or 6 weeks in Columbus Ohio. Until later!

Awesome! I too am having surgery on May 30th. Gastric sleeve. I am both hugely excited and hugely nervous! My doctor has me on a modified diet of 2 Protein Shakes a day and one light meal of Protein and veggies only. On the 28th (2 days before surgery) I have a totally liquid diet that includes the protein shakes, coffee (decaf), tea, broth, Jello and I can actually have a creamy Soup made by Pacific - they have Tomato, french onion, butternut squash.

I have to say that having that one small meal (I save mine for dinner) has made a HUGE difference in not being so hungry. I've also found that sugar-free hard candies help me when I am hungry, as I have something in my mouth so my mouth thinks I'm eating and my brain is distracted from the hunger, if that makes any sense.

I am new to this forum and am really looking forward to all the support and stories I will find. Quick question, my doctor says I will be in the hospital one (possibly two) nights. Any suggestions on what to pack for the hospital stay?

HI all, great to 'meet' you :)

I was previously Hubble's Mum - changed my name because I realised I was a bit identifiable - my dog is called Hubble - named after the telescope because she helps to give me a sense of perspective!

My pre-op diet is 14 days of 4 pints of milk a day. I can have stock (1 cup a day) and one sugar free jelly per day (but I hate those, so not having them). Nearly finished day 4, 6lbs down this morning. It's Friday evening here, normally a night when I have a glass or two of wine to Celebrate the end of the week but not today!

Not sure about what to pack for the hospital either! loose clothes I think, a book to read, my iPhone with a talking book on it.

Can't wait for my new life. SO excited.

DO you think I will be ok to fly for a work trip 5 weeks post-op?

Standard things most people say. Cellphone with charger, maybe tablet. You will be wearing patient gowns on the top because of being wired and IVs, So yoga, pajama or sweatsuit bottoms and couple pair underwear. Unless you,like flashing people or having them break into a chorus of Moon Over Miami Every time you stroll by. Chapstick, Biotene for dry mouth, GasX mouth strips for gas. Slippers or sneaks for your feet those bumps on the nonskid socks hurt to walk on very far,glasses case and denturecup if you are old like me and have need of them. And something I think most important of all, a smile And a pleasant attitude. See my young ones, yeah I'm climbing up on my soapbox, if I don't fall off. I am older than dirt (well 72 qualifies() and been on both" sides of the blanket" I have had multiple surgeries, mostly major but also I have been a Patient Care asssistant, a CNA and a student nurse. Pleasantness goes a long long way. You are going to have brief flashes of cruddiness in thec2hoke procedure. Yes surgery goes easier, is safer , anesthesia is nicer and less sickening, but major surgery is less fun then being in a playpark on a bright Sunny Day. It is a shock to the system, your body may rebel in weird ways, they to a woman and a man will try to be as kind as possible but try not to vent on them, give a little smile instead, okay? Yes I know you want the surgery, but better I remind you instead of hearing it from them, this is something you chose, it's not likea leg chopped off in an accident you had . You're there because you ernestky desired it. Smile , act like a credit to Mama and Papa, you Water pitcher gets filled quicker, your call lights get answered faster and the world will be smoother. If you upchuck,accidently wet the bed, sure they are used to that, but if you at least attempt to apologize, they won't feel it was intentional. Oh having been there,it's better to be known as that nice lady in Room 6 than the raging witch, in the break room Times.So if you unfailingly treat them politely and respect, the sun will shine, the birds will sing sweetly anh world will be as wonderful as. possible. Okay, lecture over,now if one of you will help me down off the soapbox so I don't fall on my fat little face, we cam all go forward with what we were doing!😝👍

Ah, don't worry, I have been a care assistant myself so I am always nice to the lovely people who are looking after me, no matter how grotty I feel!

HI everyone,

Just wondering how you are all getting on with the pre-op diet. It's the morning of day 6 for me, I've been surprised how well I am feeling! It's a really interesting insight for me about the times I 'want' or 'expect' to eat - when over this weekend I have been tempted (but resisted!). I use the kids as an excuse - and buy them things that are a big temptation - I think I pretend I am buying things for the children because I want them myself - I am going to be very careful I don't become a 'feeder'. My kids are all skinny and healthy but I want to keep them in healthy habits!

ALso the afternoons at the weekends - every time I walked through the kitchen my brain told me to eat. Standing by the toaster, near the fridge, near the larder - my brain is screaming to me to get in there and snack!

SO, I've lost 8 lbs in 5 days of the pre op diet so far. No problems with Constipation. Yesterday I cleared my wardrobe - got rid of the things in my current size that I won't wear in the next couple of months, put all the size down (and 2 sizes down) clothes in big bags under the bed to pull out when I need them, and tidied up. Feels great.

HOpe you guys are all doing well too :)

I am pretty darn excited! 10 days till my op!

I’m may 31...I am so ashamed...I had a little popcorn at the movies with my kids [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24] I literally feel like a failure ugh! I am getting emotional about it BAD! Who would ever think this would come with so much freaking guilt over a little popcorn. I am worried now that it will affect my surgery date. I KNOW BETER! Anyway, same two week liquid diet/fast whatever you wanna call it. I call it torture lol stuck with it!