Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Of course.. and I understand that however I was taking it seriously and I ended up gaining weight. Also I know that on some level I have a choice but I was meaning that if I want to have a real life where I am not struggling with everything I dont have much of a choice I can choose to live my sad existence or get the surgery and try to make things better

KT

The good thing about this procedure is that you will lose weight whether you want to or not. You will not be physically able to overeat or you will throw it up and feel horrible. Mentally I still want to overeat but my body says no. It's a total mindf*ck for lack of a better term getting past your psychological reasons for eating. You are forced to find another outlet. It was so hard in the beginning but at 4.5 months post OP it is getting easier. Dont give up! This surgery is soooooo worth it.

I appreciate it ... that is exactly what I need. I dont seem to have the will power .. plus I think that part of my problem is I am always hungry no matter what.

KT

11 minutes ago, kteminem said:

I appreciate it ... that is exactly what I need. I dont seem to have the will power .. plus I think that part of my problem is I am always hungry no matter what.

KT

I have zero will power as well, so this procedure was perfect for me. If you attempt to overeat (& you will...lol) you'll pay for it. You'll feel miserable. If I eat something I shouldn't I am forced to lay down for a good 30 minutes until it passes, after throwing up usually. You eventually just stop cheating because you have to. Plus the weight just starts falling off like crazy which really helps to make you feel like it's all totally worth it. You can do this!!

Edited by shelly420

I have zero will power as well, so this procedure was perfect for me. If you attempt to overeat (& you will...lol) you'll pay for it. You'll feel miserable. If I eat something I shouldn't I am forced to lay down for a good 30 minutes until it passes, after throwing up usually. You eventually just stop cheating because you have to. Plus the weight just starts falling off like crazy which really helps to make you feel like it's all totally worth it. You can do this!!

I am getting really excited about the first appointment... I know that things have to change for me and I keep thinking of new things I'll be able to do when the weight drops. I haven't been able to do most of these things for over a decade if I was ever able at all. I told my fiance that when I get put on liquids he is going to have to eat in another room. I told him I won't be able to eat anything and he said awe I'm gonna feel so bad. I told him no it's ok all the money we are gonna save when we go out will mean we can do other stuff too.

KT

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, kteminem said:

I am getting really excited about the first appointment... I know that things have to change for me and I keep thinking of new things I'll be able to do when the weight drops. I haven't been able to do most of these things for over a decade if I was ever able at all. I told my fiance that when I get put on liquids he is going to have to eat in another room. I told him I won't be able to eat anything and he said awe I'm gonna feel so bad. I told him no it's ok all the money we are gonna save when we go out will mean we can do other stuff too.

KT

The biggest thing for me at this point (besides finally being able to buy nice clothes!!!), it just not having the pain in my knees any longer. Prior to surgery, every single step I took was painful. I still have a slight amount of pain remaining in one knee, but otherwise it's like night & day. I used to always look for the closest parking spot out of necessity, but now it just doesn't matter. If I have to park far away, I gladly walk the extra steps. It's a great feeling. I'm excited for you! It will be hard at first because you want to eat, but can't. I was never hungry after surgery (still aren't hungry 4.5 months out), but it's a huge mental game. Mentally you want to eat, but if you try and eat too much or something you shouldn't, your body will remind you that you can't do that any longer. I am blown away that I have already lost 86lbs in such a short time. It's hard to wrap my brain around that, but I'll deal...lol After surgery I had a good 6 week stall too, and wondered if I was going to be that one in a million (or whatever) that this wouldn't work for, but once my body got over the shock of it all, it started cooperating. Keep us all posted on your future surgery.

My first big goal will be to snow ski next winter. I gave it up about 25 years ago after breaking a leg, then gaining too much weight to ski.... & you know what? I know I will reach that goal! This surgery will help you reach any goal you have. You're young and you have your whole life ahead of you. I'm excited for you!!

Edited by shelly420

The biggest thing for me at this point (besides finally being able to buy nice clothes!!!), it just not having the pain in my knees any longer. Prior to surgery, every single step I took was painful. I still have a slight amount of pain remaining in one knee, but otherwise it's like night & day. I used to always look for the closest parking spot out of necessity, but now it just doesn't matter. If I have to park far away, I gladly walk the extra steps. It's a great feeling. I'm excited for you! It will be hard at first because you want to eat, but can't. I was never hungry after surgery (still aren't hungry 4.5 months out), but it's a huge mental game. Mentally you want to eat, but if you try and eat too much or something you shouldn't, your body will remind you that you can't do that any longer. I am blown away that I have already lost 86lbs in such a short time. It's hard to wrap my brain around that, but I'll deal...lol After surgery I had a good 6 week stall too, and wondered if I was going to be that one in a million (or whatever) that this wouldn't work for, but once my body got over the shock of it all, it started cooperating. Keep us all posted on your future surgery.
My first big goal will be to snow ski next winter. I gave it up about 25 years ago after breaking a leg, then gaining too much weight to ski.... & you know what? I know I will reach that goal! This surgery will help you reach any goal you have. You're young and you have your whole life ahead of you. I'm excited for you!!

I will definitely keep this thread going... I go for the first appointment and consult Friday I will be meeting with the surgeon and the other people for the program. I am so excited and nervous. I am a little worried about how my fiance will hold up though all of this but I feel like if he can work through his jealousy we will be better than ever he is pretty incredible through everything else. (He cleans better than I do.) But I have to remember it is one step at a time. The only other concern i have is the stress around here, but I dont se it getting better without fixing my weight prob.

KT

On 05/16/2018 at 15:13, kteminem said:

Hey everyone,

I just thought I would introduce myself and tell ya'll a little about me and my journey. So I have been severely obese my whole life and when i was young my mother and grandmother had gastric bypass surgery. When i was about 16 my mother decided that i needed to have the surgery. I went through the process for several months before they realized i was too young for the insurance to cover the surgery. They approached and asked me to wait a few more months until I was almost 18 and then continue the program where I left off. Upset i left and waited coming back to the program a few months before i turned 18 i again attended the appointments as instructed. I was about a month or two away from the surgery and then my private therapist told me that he had gotten the information back from the clinic and they had included their notes. He told me that they didn't think I was dedicated enough to the surgery . I was heart broken what did that even mean I wasn't dedicated enough I had done so much to prepare for the program driving hours away jumping through hoops trying to do everything they asked of me. The only explanation i could come up with that fir the description was that they expected me to lose weight when doing the things they had asked and I had instead gained about 25 pounds. Devastated I gave up on the thought of losing weight through that method and just continued my life as I was ...

Here I am 24 I have now gained about 50 to 75 more pounds from what I was at that time and hardly able to move. I dont know if I want the surgery but I feel I have no real choice in the matter. I am terrified that I will put in all the work and just be denied again. If it doesn't happen this time I dont know what I will have left. I'm almost 25 years old and i weigh about 415lbs and in 5'4". My BMI is over 70 my body is giving away and everyone wants to tell me what I need to do as if I dont look in the mirror and see it clear as day. I just want things to get better I want to have a life . Be able to have kids and go to theme parks and be some kind of normal.

I called and scheduled an appointment with roller weight loss program in Fayetteville Arkansas today. And in about a week and a half I should have some answers. I am scared! I just want to know if anyone has been in my situation. And what kind of advice anyone has. I will try to post updates on what is going on.

KT

kteminem - you’ve got this!! Like several on here, I wished I had started this process several years ago, but waited. Now I’m ready to get the extra weight off, so my knees, feet, etc will feel better and I can come off of the several medications I take! I am still pre-op and am scheduled for my first consult! I’ve been in several blogs and forums asking questions and reading all I can! Good luck and let us know how your initial visit goes Friday!!

I think you’ll find approvals easier to get today as the surgery is far more common. I wish you great success. As you well know you’ll have to do the work. My best advice is follow your Dr diet to the letter!!! If you follow it religiously while the surgery tool is new you’ll establish good habits that will continue with you years down the road when the benefits of surgery start to minimize. Best wishes!!!!

kteminem - you’ve got this!! Like several on here, I wished I had started this process several years ago, but waited. Now I’m ready to get the extra weight off, so my knees, feet, etc will feel better and I can come off of the several medications I take! I am still pre-op and am scheduled for my first consult! I’ve been in several blogs and forums asking questions and reading all I can! Good luck and let us know how your initial visit goes Friday!!

You too!!! I will keep this thread going with updates on my journey ... I am happy that we have a chance to turn things around! I hope things go well for you at your consult too.

KT

Well it's 1 AM , I really should go back to sleep but I can't. This is the day for my Big and I think Important appointment with 4 people, I meet with my nurse practitioner, case manager, dietician and exercise physiologist, between the 4 wise ladies maybe I'll get a further clue as to when my surgery will be. If anybody has read my past postings, and there are many in the last six months, you know I have completed not once but twice basic requirements for bariatric surgery. Why isn't it done yet? AskDr Ding Dong, the rotten excuse for a surgeon who decided he was no longer in the mood to perform it. So I am enrolled in another and better program where I'm not a number but a person. who wants and deserves the surgical tool,to help achieve her proper weight loss. I actually like the people in this one, odd, when I look back,i never did like the other guy, he was more like the mechanic you ask to repair your car but don't have any other relationship with.. Maybe my inner gut was right. Oh well you,live and learn, I'm just not into the kind of put down I got there! And his loss will mean my long term gain🌺😛💕🌸

Well it's 1 AM , I really should go back to sleep but I can't. This is the day for my Big and I think Important appointment with 4 people, I meet with my nurse practitioner, case manager, dietician and exercise physiologist, between the 4 wise ladies maybe I'll get a further clue as to when my surgery will be. If anybody has read my past postings, and there are many in the last six months, you know I have completed not once but twice basic requirements for bariatric surgery. Why isn't it done yet? AskDr Ding Dong, the rotten excuse for a surgeon who decided he was no longer in the mood to perform it. So I am enrolled in another and better program where I'm not a number but a person. who wants and deserves the surgical tool,to help achieve her proper weight loss. I actually like the people in this one, odd, when I look back,i never did like the other guy, he was more like the mechanic you ask to repair your car but don't have any other relationship with.. Maybe my inner gut was right. Oh well you,live and learn, I'm just not into the kind of put down I got there! And his loss will mean my long term gain[emoji259][emoji14][emoji177][emoji254]

Hey I definitely know where you are coming from I felt like I got tossed around s ok much and to be completely honest I never quite knew what they wanted or expected from me I am really happy happy that you stuck with it and I am excited for you to go to your appointment in a few hours ... I think that the fact that you feel at home at this new program speaks volumes for how you will feel throughout the process. I hope you keep me posted on this thread and let me know what happens for you through this journey

KT

Oh I will-- I promise!🌺😝🌸❤

Ok so I had the big first appointment today and as promised I'm filling everyone in. I went in and found out they have a new procedure I hadn't heard about called the duodenal switch I was informed that they believe this will be the best procedure for me both now and long term. I was pleased to hear that and through each step I was excited and ready for making my first step towards it, cracking jokes and keeping that smile on my face and then I met the dietitian. I was terrified he was going to tell me to throw out my kitchens worth of food... and i went in he was hella awesome. He did of course tell me a lot of no's. No carbs at all. To eat my lean Protein first at every meal. No carbonated beverages ever again, and only 0 cal beverages. No liquids within 30 min of meals and no starchy veggies. Some groans out of me for the overall plan but in general it seems pretty doable. So I left his office still in a great mood. Then they did a scope and found a hyatial hernia and found that the ibuprofen I take semi often is starting to burn a hole in my stomach (very early stages) but that I need to lay off . Still smiling I go through the labs and the ekg and finally I wait for the patient care coordinator to come back from lunch (which makes me a little irritable because I haven't had anything to eat or during since midnight and it is now like 1230-1) and she comes in and drops a few big bombs on me.

1) medicaid insurance is not going to pay for the assistant surgeon. $300
2) Medicaid isn't going to pay for the dietitian that they require me to see for the next 7 months(including today)... which was not terrible $15 a visit
3) I have to pay for required supplements for Meal Replacements $250
4)I have to see a cardiologist
5)I have to find a special bariatric psychologist ... and the closest one who takes my insurance is 2 and a half hours from my house in the opposite direction from the weight loss center(which is an hour and a half away from my house)
6) I will have to pay $100 each time for Vitamin supplement specific to the surgery I am getting.

So after hearing that I was pretty deflated "where am I going to come up with all this money" I asked to which her response was well there are loan programs. "Loans require good credit and employment" I said "well I am just trying to help"she replied. So I sat and listened to the rest of her rehearsed speech and I came home....

Am i still going to try.... yes
Is it going to affect other things that I had planned ...yes
As I mentioned before I'm left with little choice because if I am to have s ok me kind of future I need this.

KT

2 hours ago, kteminem said:

) medicaid insurance is not going to pay for the assistant surgeon. $300
2) Medicaid isn't going to pay for the dietitian that they require me to see for the next 7 months(including today)... which was not terrible $15 a visit
3) I have to pay for required supplements for Meal Replacements $250
4)I have to see a cardiologist
5)I have to find a special bariatric psychologist ... and the closest one who takes my insurance is 2 and a half hours from my house in the opposite direction from the weight loss center(which is an hour and a half away from my house)
6) I will have to pay $100 each time for Vitamin supplement specific to the surgery I am getting.

One thing I found out is, we don't really need to buy our stuff from the surgeon or the hospital. Let me explain, Vitamins, they are basically generic. At first I was purchasing them through my surgeons office since my insurance covered them. After two months my insurance stopped covering them. So, I consult my nutrionist and I go to costco and buy Multi Vitamins, Calcium pills, b-12 pills and save (excuse the pun) a ton of money. As for supplements, what are they selling you that you can't buy yourself at a cheaper cost? As for the cardiologist, mine would not sign off on the surgery unless I did a nuclear stress test. ( I have a heart condition) The psychologist is a standard one time procedure for most getting bariatric surgery. The only real problem might be the $300.00 for the assistant surgeon.

At my group meetings the nurse practitioner who runs the meetings always says " Don't go to a Vitamin store and tell them you need vitamins because you just had bariatric surgery, you'll end up walking out with $400.00 worth of stuff." What we really need doesn't cost that much. You can get a lot of good alternatives right here on the message boards. Just know what you specifically need.

One other suggestion. Post surgery I started to see a therapist who recommended that I also attend Overeaters Anonymous (OA). Through them I realized that even though I had the surgery and lost weight I would probably gain it back because I am a compulsive eater. OA has turned out to be a very good support system for me. One person in the meetings had WLS. She said the surgery fixed this (pointing to her stomach) I know that I needed to also fix this (pointing to her head). It might be beneficial for you to try OA just to see if it will help you in anyway. If not you can always walk away. I wish you the best in your weight loss journey and just know you are only a keystroke away from getting support and advice right here.

One thing I found out is, we don't really need to buy our stuff from the surgeon or the hospital. Let me explain, Vitamins, they are basically generic. At first I was purchasing them through my surgeons office since my insurance covered them. After two months my insurance stopped covering them. So, I consult my nutrionist and I go to costco and buy Multi Vitamins, Calcium pills, b-12 pills and save (excuse the pun) a ton of money. As for supplements, what are they selling you that you can't buy yourself at a cheaper cost? As for the cardiologist, mine would not sign off on the surgery unless I did a nuclear stress test. ( I have a heart condition) The psychologist is a standard one time procedure for most getting bariatric surgery. The only real problem might be the $300.00 for the assistant surgeon.
At my group meetings the nurse practitioner who runs the meetings always says " Don't go to a Vitamin store and tell them you need Vitamins because you just had bariatric surgery, you'll end up walking out with $400.00 worth of stuff." What we really need doesn't cost that much. You can get a lot of good alternatives right here on the message boards. Just know what you specifically need.
One other suggestion. Post surgery I started to see a therapist who recommended that I also attend Overeaters Anonymous (OA). Through them I realized that even though I had the surgery and lost weight I would probably gain it back because I am a compulsive eater. OA has turned out to be a very good support system for me. One person in the meetings had WLS. She said the surgery fixed this (pointing to her stomach) I know that I needed to also fix this (pointing to her head). It might be beneficial for you to try OA just to see if it will help you in anyway. If not you can always walk away. I wish you the best in your weight loss journey and just know you are only a keystroke away from getting support and advice right here.

The nutritionist is the one who told me that I had to have a specific blend of vitamins designed for someone who has my specific surgery ... they have a special brand that you can buy on Amazon and its website and at the office. As for the meal replacements the center must use those in particular because they are familiar and can make it simple for the patient (I am guessing) but i think i only need the 2 weeks for it but i will definitely ask these questions at my next visit and see what they say. Thank you for the advice ... idk if there is an OA around here.

KT