Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone,

I just thought I would introduce myself and tell ya'll a little about me and my journey. So I have been severely obese my whole life and when i was young my mother and grandmother had gastric bypass surgery. When i was about 16 my mother decided that i needed to have the surgery. I went through the process for several months before they realized i was too young for the insurance to cover the surgery. They approached and asked me to wait a few more months until I was almost 18 and then continue the program where I left off. Upset i left and waited coming back to the program a few months before i turned 18 i again attended the appointments as instructed. I was about a month or two away from the surgery and then my private therapist told me that he had gotten the information back from the clinic and they had included their notes. He told me that they didn't think I was dedicated enough to the surgery . I was heart broken what did that even mean I wasn't dedicated enough I had done so much to prepare for the program driving hours away jumping through hoops trying to do everything they asked of me. The only explanation i could come up with that fir the description was that they expected me to lose weight when doing the things they had asked and I had instead gained about 25 pounds. Devastated I gave up on the thought of losing weight through that method and just continued my life as I was ...

Here I am 24 I have now gained about 50 to 75 more pounds from what I was at that time and hardly able to move. I dont know if I want the surgery but I feel I have no real choice in the matter. I am terrified that I will put in all the work and just be denied again. If it doesn't happen this time I dont know what I will have left. I'm almost 25 years old and i weigh about 415lbs and in 5'4". My BMI is over 70 my body is giving away and everyone wants to tell me what I need to do as if I dont look in the mirror and see it clear as day. I just want things to get better I want to have a life . Be able to have kids and go to theme parks and be some kind of normal.

I called and scheduled an appointment with roller weight loss program in Fayetteville Arkansas today. And in about a week and a half I should have some answers. I am scared! I just want to know if anyone has been in my situation. And what kind of advice anyone has. I will try to post updates on what is going on.

KT

I think you’re doing the right thing! This is the perfect time to get your health in order. It is a scary journey but an exciting one!

i think age is now on your side for your approval so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Good luck to you

Thanx I really appreciate the support

KT

You are still very young, and I’m very proud of you for taking your health in your own hands by making the decision to have wls!

Keep a positive attitude and I’m sure things will work out for you!

You're younger than me (by 8 years), but weight/height wise, you're about the same size I was when I had surgery in February -- I was 413 pounds and am 5'2.5". You can do it!

You're younger than me (by 8 years), but weight/height wise, you're about the same size I was when I had surgery in February -- I was 413 pounds and am 5'2.5". You can do it!

How is it going so far? Is the loss pretty steady still?

KT

It's slower now than it was at first (I averaged 10 pounds a week for the first three weeks), but I'm still averaging 3.5-4 pounds a week (though there are good weeks and bad weeks).

Of course. That's still pretty awesome tho... is it a lot easier to get around now?

KT

Kteminem you are doing the right thing. I kick myself everyday for not starting this along time ago. I am about to go to my 2nd month class I will have 4 more months after that. I have a laundry list of health issues that have already started to improve from what I have lost in the last 9 weeks.

You know this is something that will save your life and you will feel so much better then you do. I was 411 when I started and I am down 44.5 lbs as if today. That is not even the highest I have been. I started the diet change right away and upped my exercise.

One thing that may help you get into an exercise routine is start with swimming it is easy on your body and work your way up to other things. It’s important that you do something you like and you never know you may learn to love it. I know I love what I am doing and if you asked anyone if they thought I would ever say those words about exercise in my lifetime they would have laughed. But that’s not me anymore I am up and out of the house by 6:30am 5 x a week, I also walk.

If I can do this so can you. We are all here for you.

Remember no one is perfect so be kind to yourself.

Thanx I really appreciate it I'm just trying to keep my head up about all this but with it warming up I am hoping to get a lot of swimming in this year

KT

You can do this, your young and you sound determined, if you get denied appeal it. Let them see you want it. We are all here for the same reason to get healthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

The only thing I regret about my surgery is that I didn’t do it sooner. You have your whole life ahesd of you! Continue on your journey, by whatever methods work for you! We all have setbacks....just keep plugging away! Best of luck!

Keep on keeping on. Remind youself
I am doing the right thing
At the right time for me
And for the right person, myself And nothing anyone else says, anyone else tries to do, I will not be stopped- for I have a goal now and I will keep on to the finish😝☝👼🌀🌺🌸

On 5/16/2018 at 3:13 PM, kteminem said:

The only explanation i could come up with that fir the description was that they expected me to lose weight when doing the things they had asked and I had instead gained about 25 pounds.

Many programs/surgeons may require you to lose a certain percentage of your excess weight throughout the supervised diet period if that is a requirement. If not required to lose weight, you may at the least be held accountable by the surgeon to not gain anymore weight during this time frame. Not adhering to preoperative program guidelines certainly can make it seem as though you are not taking the program very seriously.

On 5/16/2018 at 3:13 PM, kteminem said:

I dont know if I want the surgery but I feel I have no real choice in the matter

Everyone has a choice in what they do to their body. This surgery means a lifelong commitment to a healthy diet. You need to take specific Vitamins, have regular check ups with a physician, and not doing these things can result in serious consequences. I’m not trying to be the negative person of the group, but these are things to consider.

Were your family members successful with their bypasses?

The good thing about this procedure is that you will lose weight whether you want to or not. You will not be physically able to overeat or you will throw it up and feel horrible. Mentally I still want to overeat but my body says no. It's a total mindf*ck for lack of a better term getting past your psychological reasons for eating. You are forced to find another outlet. It was so hard in the beginning but at 4.5 months post OP it is getting easier. Dont give up! This surgery is soooooo worth it.

Edited by shelly420