Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning to end. How long should I expect it to take.   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Beginning to end. How long should I expect it to take.

• 1 month
    • 2 months
    • 3 months
    • 4 months
    • 5 months
    • 6 months or longer

I'm wondering how long the process took- first appointment with doctor to the end. I've got my referral to the surgery center for my consults and stuff. I'm really motivated right now and afraid that as it gets further out, I might not be so anxious. I don't have a surgery date. Hoping end June-August. Wonder if that is to quick to expect.

I'm a grandma of 7@ 53 years old. Would maybe like a barbaric buddy to get some feedback, be able to chat when I start feeling stressed. My kids (no husband) kinda support me. My boyfriend of 20 years likes my big butt. He's concerned he'll be with a different person, but he supports whatever I decide.

I was diagnosed with "the diabeetis" as my kids call it about 3 years ago. I initially lost 60+ pounds. Still had another 40 to go. Said I would NEVER get back over 200 pounds, and here I sit. 219 on the scale this morning. My mom would like to see me just continue to diet. I'm exhausted with dieting and with diabetes management. I just want some help while I still qualify.

Edited by Queen Grandma

Hi there. I voted 3 months but it varies significantly from person to person depending on insurance. Some insurances do not carry stipulations such as a 6 month diet program. Mine had no conditions other than going to a center of excellence. My first appointment was 3/15 for orientation, weigh-in and consult with Dietician, then 3/22 w/dietician, 4/5 with psych/surgeon, then 4/6 for final clearance with dietician. I submitted my paperwork that day and was approved in a few hours and was scheduled form my surgery which I just had on the 14th. So all in all, it was about 2 months for me, but I will admit my case seemed a bit faster than the norm. At the last minute, my insurance introduced a policy that would require 6 months of supervised dieting, and so we scrambled to get my approval in before that went into effect.

My advice, contact your insurance and find out first hand what requirements they have. That will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Welcome! My suggestion is to contact your insurance company and ask them to send you your policy for bariatric surgery. Then add a month to that for approval and scheduling. :-)

@Kay07 :lol: We cross-posted almost the same advice!

1 minute ago, Apple203 said:

@Kay07 :lol: We cross-posted almost the same advice!

You know what they say about great minds!

My insurance is one of the ones mentioned that requires 6 mos supervised weight loss. I was told tp expect an approximate timeline of 4-6 wks upon completion of the 6 mos. So 7-7.5 mos

It's going vary based on your insurance. My insurance company made me wait 6 months. It flew by though. Even if you have to wait that long too, it's worth it.

Just worked with my Insurance folks as you all suggested. I'll have to meet with a phone counselor 5 times in the next 10 weeks. Plus a psychologist and nutritionist. She said it'll be about a 3-4 month process. So, I'm thinking late August to Late September.

Here in Adelaide, South Australia it only took me about 3 months total from phoning and getting an initial consult date 2 months later, then surgery 3 weeks later (with insurance at a private hospital). US insurance requirements tend to be much more detailed and vary between providers.

You know I once started an Australian "bucket list" to do before I die. Could be soon from the way stress, life and surgical inattentions have beset me!
Ayers Rock
Moreton Bay because of the song
New South Wales for the opals-gave up on hot dry Cober Pedy
Sydney Opera House-wow pictures are beautiful
Now chez Taoz so I can hug you and thank you for your advice but most of all for being my chum, however distant
Of course if I could sort of find Russell Hitchcock of Men Down Under, I would eat a tiny spoonful of Vegemite or walk into the Indian Ocean not looking back.
Mr son just started playing Making Love out of Nothing At All, he knows it makes me feel all soft and squishy like melted marshmallow. Excellent for difusing my anger! ,Until later 😝

My insurance had no real requirements. The surgeon's office required all the same appointments as everyone else, but spread out the nutritionist appointments 1 every 3 months to give people time to adjust to low-carb eating and make sure the postop plan was well understood. Took 4 months total.

It is good to take a little time to do the research so you are well prepared.

The surgery is SO worth not having diabetes and all of the eventual complications associated with it: heart attack, stroke, amputation, kidney failure, neuropathy, loss of vision . . . .

Even if your blood sugars are well controlled, you can still have some of the wonderful things on that list.

It isn't just the weight loss. The sleeve and bypass both change your body metabolicly to improve diabetes.

Keep coming here for support. There will always be someone to cheer you on and answer questions 😁

You all are great. So much information here. I wish I could take a week off of work just to read it all. Thank you. I'll lean on you all!!

Most likely its going to take at least 8 months to a year. Don't let that discourage you. After having the surgery 3 weeks ago, I am glad it took a while. Its a big change and new life and you have to give yourself time to wrap you head around what is going to happen in the short and long term. YOU can do this. I have Diabetes and IBS my body was fighting against itself . I can happily say I am almost off all of my insulin , already off of my blood pressure meds. I followed exactly what they told me and I am so glad I did. YOU can do this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome, I am pretty new here myself. It took me 6 months due to insurance rules. I had to complete 6 months of a nutritionist supervised diet. So I started in November and I was sleeved at the end of April.

Edited by YeahOkay31