Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months Post op and can eat a whole burrito in 3 hours!

If you were eating it bites at a time I would imagine you could; but why would you try? I don't want to come off as callous here, I just say this out of concern.

18 minutes ago, VSG_Meow_Bitch said:

Does this seem normal? I ate a big Mexican burrito in 3 hours, eating bites at a time. Thoughts?

You should not be doing this. I was instructed from the start to eat what I could in 30 minutes then put it away for the next meal (4 hours later). I even had to do this with Protein Shakes in the beginning. Maybe try that? :)

Hi,

Yes, it is normal to have that capability 6 months out. Heck, at three months out, I have the same capability. However, as another has mentioned, that's where we have to be very careful. We can graze the pounds right back on, so we definitely have to stop when full and save to a scheduled snack or meal time.

Our stomachs are smaller, but our brains still think big which is the hardest part. It's a daily struggle for me, but I take it one meal, one bite at a time. I don't always get it perfect, but I certainly have gotten much better and down 50lbs since February.

Good luck!

Of course you can eat a burrito if you graze on it, but why would you? Heck, I can eat banana split in an hour if I tried but it makes no sense to do so. Why bother with the surgery at all if you are going to purposefully try and eat the way we did pre-op? The honeymoon phase is the time period when we are supposed to be learning and practicing healthy eating patterns.

This really just boggles me. If it took you 3 hours to eat it, you made a conscious decision to eat that particular burrito. It wasn't as though you were in a situation where food was placed in front of you and you couldn't excuse yourself. If you had just picked apart the burrito and ate just the meat, it might not be such an issue. Eating the tortilla and the rest took determination. This is a text book eating disorder. If you do not have a therapist yet, it might be a good idea.

I could probably do this as well at 4 months post op. You've got to think that your stomach empties out around 30-45 minutes after eating. I only know this because I've thrown up within that time period and it was nothing but the notorious foamies. Therefore, yes you could continue eating with breaks for hours on end. The surgery only limits the amount that you can eat in a single setting. 3 hours is NOT a single setting. I'd be very careful with how you proceed gong forward. Its the same thing with drinks with calories.... you could drink your weight right back on.