Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weightloss surgery won’t work for me

Anyone else has this illogical fear that they’ll be the one this surgery doesn’t work for? It’s hard for me to picture a day when I’ll be full with little sips. All the reading, researching and success stories can’t keep me from feeling like what if. Anyone else felt this way?

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City :)

I am a lucky one who is just plain not hungry. It is tough to get all of my liquids and Proteins in. This is my second day of soft foods and I barely got 3/4 of 1 scrambled egg down. I think I somewhat pushed it to get that down. When was your surgery?

I am a lucky one who is just plain not hungry. It is tough to get all of my liquids and Proteins in. This is my second day of soft foods and I barely got 3/4 of 1 scrambled egg down. I think I somewhat pushed it to get that down. When was your surgery?

My was scheduled for yesterday but had to be rescheduled for next Monday the 21st because they accidentally booked me for a day that the hospital had no open operating rooms. Imagine how I felt getting that news.. just awful and angry.

I’m happy this is working for you.. I look forward to the day I too don’t feel hungry and stop craving. You had the sleeve?

Mine* typo

All the little sips are just in the very beginning, first week or so for most people. That's because your stomach is swollen and mad at you. Gradually your portion sizes increase (in a good way, not overdoing it) and you can eat maybe a third of what you would have eaten at a meal pre-surgery.

Anyone else has this illogical fear that they’ll be the one this surgery doesn’t work for? It’s hard for me to picture a day when I’ll be full with little sips. All the reading, researching and success stories can’t keep me from feeling like what if. Anyone else felt this way?
Yo-Yo Girl from New York City

YYG, I had/have the same fear. I think it comes from all my past failed attempts to lose and keep it off. (I’m a YoYo Girl too). But logically and scientifically, the weight will come off with exercise and less intake. We just gotta believe!!!
I’m 4 weeks after bypass and on a plateau. It’s brutal and so disappointing. But I’m sticking with the food plan, pushing fluids, and walking more. Because I just gotta believe!!!

All the little sips are just in the very beginning, first week or so for most people. That's because your stomach is swollen and mad at you. Gradually your portion sizes increase (in a good way, not overdoing it) and you can eat maybe a third of what you would have eaten at a meal pre-surgery.

Honestly I can’t wait until I can eat small portions and feel happy and satisfied. being hangry is no fun.

YYG, I had/have the same fear. I think it comes from all my past failed attempts to lose and keep it off. (I’m a YoYo Girl too). But logically and scientifically, the weight will come off with exercise and less intake. We just gotta believe!!!
I’m 4 weeks after bypass and on a plateau. It’s brutal and so disappointing. But I’m sticking with the food plan, pushing fluids, and walking more. Because I just gotta believe!!!

I think that’s also why I prob why I feel like this, all the failed attempts. I’m having bypass as well. Doc tried to rear me towards a sleeve but I know that won’t work for me. Stalls will definitely be hard for me, I’ll just have to talk myself out of the negative thoughts. I don’t want my mood and happiness to depend on the numbers on the scale but that is the focus after Weightloss so it’ll be hard.

9 minutes ago, Yo-yo girl said:

being hangry is no fun.

Gospel truth!

Yes, I get nervous as well. Sometimes I think it won't work, because I have to take medicine for longstanding depression/anxiety (these are known to cause weight gain in some people). At the end of the day though even if I don't lose as much as someone else, I will still be way better off Healthwise than before the surgery.

17 hours ago, Yo-yo girl said:

I don’t want my mood and happiness to depend on the numbers on the scale but that is the focus after Weightloss so it’ll be hard.

First and foremost, I am sorry about the delay. I had something similar happen to me where they said may 7th, which then got bumped to may 14th. Although I had a much longer warning time, but it still sucks having to wait.

Second, I actually took my surgeon's advice and put my scale away. The scale is never kind to me. I always feel like I've lost more than I actually do, and get discouraged. My team believes scales reinforce the wrong aspect of the surgery. Their motto is: "The numbers on a scale shouldn't define whether or not we succeed, its how we feel that should define our success." Even my nutritionist wouldn't set an amount or goal weight, although according to the charts I should be 135 (I think I'd look terrible that low). Instead we set milestones. Such as I want to shop in regular stores, or I want to be able to do a 5k without feeling like my heart is going to straight up beat out of my chest!

Putting the scale away is not for everyone though. That's what I've decided to do, but again do what makes you happy and what you think will help ease you!

I have this fear as well. I even took my paranoia a step further after finding some research that there's a genetic factor to how well bariatric surgery works (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3644642/). I actually did a DNA test through AncestryDNA and uploaded the results to Promethease so that I could see if I have one of the "bad" genes and I do. In the study I linked to it correlated with losing about %5 percent less body weight. For me that would be me being an extra 20 lbs heavier and that's just one gene. So if I have 200 lbs to lose and I can expect to lose, on average, 70-75% of my excess body weight with RNY, that's 140-150 lbs. With that gene I have I might have to adjust that to 120-130. At 120 lbs lost I wouldn't really be where I want to be, but I'd be MUCH better off than I have been.

In all honesty, I sort of regret checking this gene. At the end of the day I don't think it makes sense to let 20 lbs influence my decision and it's just one more thing to discourage me. In case you're wondering, something like 95-96% of people have the "good" gene. I'm one of the "lucky" few with one of the bad variants (there's another variant that is even worse, but it is VERY rare). It's also possible I have other genes that will influence my success, for the good or the bad. I think the science will get better over time, but right now I don't think there's a great way to know how you're going to do without just taking the leap.

I haven't officially made a decision, but I'm leaning pretty heavily toward RNY. I may never be thin, but I think I can be much less fat and that has enormous health benefits, even if I never come close to my ideal weight. We shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good.

I definitely felt that same feeling I had nightmares an all. I had bypass nine months ago and have lost a total of a 120lbs so far 20 more until goal...

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow.. congratulations!

I’m having my surgery today, I have to be there at 5:30AM I should be getting some rest but I’m too antsy and hungry.

I’m worried too, I think it’s natural to worry that you’ll be the one it won’t work for.

I am hoping I’ll have the discipline to not weight myself more than once a week, if I can’t stop, I’ll ask my husband to hide them for a month or so lols.

i do have a pair of pants that I would like to fit into at 1 month post surgery, another at 2 months ect.... at the moment I can’t zip up the 1 month pair, and can’t button the 2nd month pair, so they are doable goals