Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

“You’re disappearing!”

Out of all the weight loss compliments I’ve received, this one is the one I just react weird to. I know they mean well, but do I say “thanks!” After being told I’m disappearing? I know to say thank you when someone says “you look great!” Or whatever else but this one baffles me and makes me twitchy, ha :P

anyone else? Or any other comments that you’re like “ummm thanks?” to?

It's like hugging paper - from my step-son. Was told I shouldn't have seen it as a positive by some friends but I loved it at the time!

7 minutes ago, myfanwymoi said:

It's like hugging paper - from my step-son. Was told I shouldn't have seen it as a positive by some friends but I loved it at the time!

See that one I'd like and chuckle at! Especially from a kiddo or a teen.

"Need to put rocks in your pocket so the wind doesn't blow you away!"

My grandfather says it constantly and it got worse once we actually started getting wind lmao. I never know how to respond to it, but it's true! I've actually almost fallen over from a big gust of wind.

"Need to put rocks in your pocket so the wind doesn't blow you away!"

My grandfather says it constantly and it got worse once we actually started getting wind lmao. I never know how to respond to it, but it's true! I've actually almost fallen over from a big gust of wind.

Lol,I know the feeling. I went to take the trash out. I went to step over the dog gate and the weight of the trash took me with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I hear you. "Disappearing" has a negative connotation. You are not fading into the backround or becoming half-human half-ghost. The new slimmer you is probably not more of a wallflower.

This process is empowering. You are gaining control of your weight.

"Disappearing" sound's like you are fading inro the background. I'm sure they meant well.

16 minutes ago, BrandiceLeSha said:

Lol,I know the feeling. I went to take the trash out. I went to step over the dog gate and the weight of the trash took me with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, I've had that before, too! I went to the store the other day and decided to carry the bags out instead of using the cart and almost fell over! It was rainy and windy and it just wasn't a good time at all lmao.

If they are weird compliments take them in the spirit they are meant and say “thanks!” If you suspect otherwise then laugh and say “I sure hope not” and don’t let it linger and rent space in your brain!

Just now, jess9395 said:

If they are weird compliments take them in the spirit they are meant and say “thanks!” If you suspect otherwise then laugh and say “I sure hope not” and don’t let it linger and rent space in your brain!

Yes, I think it just felt weird for me to say "thanks" after the word disappearing. I do know they meant well and it was completely a compliment. Just a new one for me to hear! I brushed it off after, I think I was more discombobulated with my own awkward response and the way I actually articulated the thanks :P I don't always do well with compliments especially from higher ups in the company--sometimes I freeze.

Tell them "And as I blow away the last thing you see will be my red hair!" Learned a long time ago....
"You have got to think ahead or you'll fall behind"

My mother in law keeps saying "you're getting so skinny!"

I thank her, but I still have between 20-40lbs left to go. I think she just thinks that because I had so much to start with!

My surgeon calls me the "Disappearing lady" each time she sees me. I laugh about it. Because after that she tells me I look amazing.

Then I get the people who say, "You don't look like you weigh 124 lbs, you look like you weigh 95 lbs."

I never looked my weight, let alone my actual age but the way people react to me now versus when I was heavier is just downright fascinating. When people say I look great I thank them. When they give me a hug and say, "Omg, you're so tiny I could break you in half!"

I just laugh.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-124
GW-130
Size- 2, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 34C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX