Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cooking for your family!!

Oh my God somebody please help!! Trying to cook for my husband and grown children when I am on his liquid pre op diet!! I’m about ready to scream! Why can’t they just try an understand what it is like!!🤬

Would have been nice for one of them to cook while you are on liquid pre op.

Hummm some things to try: *evil laugh*

microwavable healthy choice meals. Give each person a frozen one and point to the microwave.

Toss a can of chilli, a can opener, a pack of hot dogs and Buns on the table..... point to the microwave.

Box of Cereal and milk on the table...walk away.

Would have been nice for one of them to cook while you are on liquid pre op.
Hummm some things to try: *evil laugh*
microwavable healthy choice meals. Give each person a frozen one and point to the microwave.
Toss a can of chilli, a can opener, a pack of hot dogs and Buns on the table..... point to the microwave.
Box of Cereal and milk on the table...walk away.

That is exactly what I did!! 🤪[emoji12] I gave them some hot dogs, buns and chips and said if you need anything else they have stored and restaurants you can go to!! Just pretend like I’m not here and get busy!! Thanks for the feed back!!

I made sure that my kids could prepare a meal for the family at age ten. I've always thought kids should be taught self-reliance as early as possible. My daughter is 21 now and can follow almost any recipe. My son is 18 and isn't quite as skilled but can still manage to do things like cut up a smoked sausage, sauté it in onions and sauce then serve it over rice. So having them home from college over the summer means my wife and I don't have to cook much.

You've got the right idea by letting them feed themselves. Hunger is a great motivator. If they want to eat and you don't help them, they'll figure something out. Or better yet, why not teach them how to cook? They'll need that skill someday.

Elforman believe me I have tried!! It’s not that they can’t cook it’s that they always depended on me (which is totally my fault) to cook the meals!! I agree hunger is a great motivator and believe me they have found their way around the kitchen and my husband around the grill since I put my foot down!! I should have done it a long time ago! Sometimes many parents, like myself, do so much for our children, we handicap them!! I’m learning many things about myself during this journey! Thanks for your responses!!

3 hours ago, stacy@5 said:

Sometimes many parents, like myself, do so much for our children, we handicap them!!

That's exactly how I felt when I moved out of my mother's place when I was 20. Yes, I could cook, but I didn't know the first thing about being independent. So I raised my kids with the outlook that it was our job to prepare them to be able to live without me and their mother as soon as they possibly could. They're 21 and 18 now and I have no worries at all that they couldn't support themselves and take care of themselves in every way if the need arose, and that's the advice I give to all new parents as well.

So I pre-cooked a lot of food for my family. But they apparently ate it all the great pigs. But my husband refuses to allow me to cook because he thinks it’s in humane to make me prepare something I can’t eat. He’s a gem [emoji4]. But I still try to do it anyways.

I don't have kids, but I told my husband point blank during my liquid stage that he was on his own. I'd sit down with him for meals (we always eat dinner together) but he was responsible for putting something together. He's not a cook, so we put together a menu of things he could make. A lot of pre-made frozen things and fast food were in rotation until I was back on mushies.

He didn't like eating unhealthy, but I think he enjoyed his 3 weeks of eating like a bachelor.

Hey Jessgnc , that’s a great idea and I don’t blame you!! My husband is like a little hurt kitten!! This 6’4” man tries to act tough but is really a spoiled brat!! Now don’t get me wrong he works hard everyday and he helps me cook (he loves grilling) but that day it was like they was coming at me from all sides with, “what you cooking, what you cooking.” I just had to put my foot down and let them know don’t ask me that again for awhile!! Y’all are grown and cans fend for yourselves and for the 2 grandchildren that live 100 yards from me!! I just looked at them and said y’all know how to cook and drive, momma is on strike until further notice!!

Thanks for your response, I’m sure the bachelor eating brought back memories for your husband, but I’m sure he’ll be glad when you’re really able to join him again!

14 hours ago, elforman said:

That's exactly how I felt when I moved out of my mother's place when I was 20. Yes, I could cook, but I didn't know the first thing about being independent. So I raised my kids with the outlook that it was our job to prepare them to be able to live without me and their mother as soon as they possibly could. They're 21 and 18 now and I have no worries at all that they couldn't support themselves and take care of themselves in every way if the need arose, and that's the advice I give to all new parents as well.

Amen to that!! I wished somebody would have told me that years ago! They all have good jobs and can financially take care of themselves, but when it comes to eating and me, it’s like when they see me they think food!! Even my grandchildren when they see me it’s like GeeGee we’re hungry (not)!! But I have to take blame for most of this, I have connected food to so many things in my life, as many of us have and that’s what they think about when they see me!!! I will be 49 on May 29th and I have 4 children and 4 grandchildren (ages 8, 4, 18 months and 15 months!! It is great but can sometimes be overwhelming!! But things are changing!! This Journey has already made me have to look at my life and my habits, some good and some that have to be tweaked and some that have got to go!! Thanks again for your response, great advice!!

8 hours ago, Kay07 said:

So I pre-cooked a lot of food for my family. But they apparently ate it all the great pigs. But my husband refuses to allow me to cook because he thinks it’s in humane to make me prepare something I can’t eat. He’s a gem . But I still try to do it anyways.

That is very sweet of him!! After my outburst my family have started working together or find their own! Now if they was little I’d have no choice, but my little cry babies are grown!! 😂😂😂

During my preop diet, my husband ate out the whole time. I still had an appetite and I told him that I didn't care what he ate, as long as it wasn't anywhere near me. So he would go out and get food and then eat it in the car on the way home. I was a royal b*tch about that. Looking back, probably too much so.

But for after surgery, I prepped a lot of freezer baggies of food that he could put in the crock pot. I put all the ingredients, like I would put straight in the crock pot, and froze them in gallon size bags. I labeled the bags with how long to cook, and POOF, he had dinners every night. I also had surgery in January, and we use the crock pot a lot in the winter. If I had summer surgery, he would probably just grill out.

I also made tons of Soups with my Vitamix and froze them for my purred stage. It saved me big time! Vitamix has some extremely good smooth Soup recipes. And FYI, you don't have to have a Vitamix to make these soups. Any blender could work.

Edited by AshAsh1

21 hours ago, stacy@5 said:

Hey Jessgnc , that’s a great idea and I don’t blame you!! My husband is like a little hurt kitten!! This 6’4” man tries to act tough but is really a spoiled brat!! Now don’t get me wrong he works hard everyday and he helps me cook (he loves grilling) but that day it was like they was coming at me from all sides with, “what you cooking, what you cooking.” I just had to put my foot down and let them know don’t ask me that again for awhile!! Y’all are grown and cans fend for yourselves and for the 2 grandchildren that live 100 yards from me!! I just looked at them and said y’all know how to cook and drive, momma is on strike until further notice!!

Thanks for your response, I’m sure the bachelor eating brought back memories for your husband, but I’m sure he’ll be glad when you’re really able to join him again!

Bwahaha! Are we married to the same person? Mine's 6'4 and tries to act tough, but can barely boil Water. Don't get me started on when he's sick, it's comical!

I'm a year out so I'm back to a normal routine. He's very grateful for that. :)

Omg don’t get me started on hubbys and cooking if it isn’t sausage and eggs he has no idea how to make it lol I told him point blank when I am on my 2 days of Clear Liquids he is flat out on his own I am not cooking lol