Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We need Fat Moderators

One disturbing trend I've noticed recently at this site...is a lack of balanced weight loss experiences in your moderation team.

The bariatric community is diverse.

There are older people, younger people, people who want to lose weight to uber fitness levels and people who just want to improve their health. There are 200 pound people who want to weight 130....and there are 400 pound people who would love to reach 250. I wish the moderation team represented ALL of these experiences...instead of JUST the smaller people.

The VAST MAJORITY of people who have weight loss surgery....statistically are not going to reach goal. Most of us will end up on one side or the other of a 60-70% excess weight loss. It would be nice to see some moderators who understand and continue to live this struggle.

There is little input here from people who have weighed over 350 pounds. I'd like to see a moderator whose journey includes these weight ranges.

It would be nice to see more male voices in moderation, since while they are in the minority...we do have a significant male population.

I'd like to see an older moderator who is sensitive to weight loss after menopause.

Can we please have some moderators who are not JUST women who started in the 200 pound range, in their 30's and 40's...who are now fitness junkies?

We desperately need some balance.

3 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

One disturbing trend I've noticed recently at this site...is a lack of balanced weight loss experiences in your moderation team.

There are older people, younger people, people who want to lose weight to uber fitness levels and people who just want to improve their health. There are 200 pound people who want to weight 130....and there are 400 pound people who would love to reach 250. I wish the moderation team represented ALL of these experiences...instead of JUST the smaller people.

The VAST MAJORITY of people who have weight loss surgery....statistically are not going to reach goal. Most of us will end up on one side or the other of a 60-70% excess weight loss. It would be nice to see some moderators who understand and continue to live this struggle.

There is little input here from people who have weighed over 350 pounds. I'd like to see a moderator whose journey includes these weight ranges.

It would be nice to see more male voices in moderation, since while they are in the minority...we do have a significant male population.

I'd like to see an older moderator who is sensitive to weight loss after menopause.

Can we please have some moderators who are not JUST women who started in the 200 pound range, in their 30's and 40's...who are now fitness junkies?

Whaaat? Creek, there's nothing wrong with the moderators, and we mostly self-monitor anyways.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the moderators. But there does seem to be only one experience represented and that can create blind spots. More diversity of experiences would be appreciated and beneficial to serve the whole population of the board. More balance is never a bad thing.

Since there is only one moderator that I know of, your OP is thinly veiled criticism of her -- not cool.

And yours is a direct criticism of my legitimate concern. Not cool. You are implying intent that I don't have. You're making assumptions.

Edited by Creekimp13

Again, I am not criticizing any particular moderator. I'm concerned about a lack of diversity of experiences in our moderation team that creates blind spots.

No one person can be all things or appreciate all perspectives.

12 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

Since there is only one moderator that I know of, your OP is thinly veiled criticism of her -- not cool.

Whoah whoah whoah, lets leave that drama where it started. Lets not cross posts.... and She is well qualified to fight her own battles, she doesn't need you, I assure you.

I agree with @Creekimp13 about how it would be nice to have a greater variety of voices. I like reading stories about people who have come back with a regain after 5+ years. It keeps everything in focus for me. I'm started on the HIGH end of the BMI scale, and I wish there were more people with success stories of reaching goal that are still active. Not to say that there aren't, because I follow each and every one that I find. But there are so many variables: age, height, weight, and gender. I know its silly, but seeing someone close to my stats with success gives me hope.

15 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Whoah whoah whoah, lets leave that drama where it started. Lets not cross posts.... and She is well qualified to fight her own battles, she doesn't need you, I assure you.

Yes, Jenn is certainly more than capable of managing her own affairs. I just called it like I saw it. As for crossing posts, isn't that what led to this thread in the first place -- a little tit-for-tat? Plus, I've been on this board since last August, and I don't recall that there even was an active moderator before, so why demand more mods?? This is my last post on this topic.

Edited by Apple203

3 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

Yes, Jenn is certainly more than capable of managing her own affairs. I just called it like I saw it. As for crossing posts, isn't that what led to this thread in the first place -- a little tit-for-tat? Plus, I've been on this board since last August, and I don't recall that there even was an active moderator before, so why demand more mods?? This is my last post on this topic.

I must be confused as to what a "moderator" is....who are the moderators? I thought "moderator" was the verbiage being used for everyone who posts. I obviously read that wrong. However, I will say that it leads to a hostile environment to spread drama across posts. It affects everyone, and its counter productive. Plus, like myself, I didn't read that post until today. What about the lot of them who hasn't read it at all. It's confusing and is taking away from the point of the site.

6 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

No issue with anyone offering suggestions to improve the site

I'm not sure why you feel discriminated against and feel the need to discriminate against "smaller people"

I still agree to disagree with you. ALL experiences are welcome This is not a us against them support for weight loss surgery site.

You have not been around the site long enough to realize @Alex Brecher had subcategories of starting weights. You may want him to bring them back to the site so you can only talk with patients in your weight category or specific situation........ if that makes you feel more comfortable.

@Alex Brecher

Years ago the site had sub subcategories by weight and age..... Right?

• 300+ to lose
  • 200+ to lose
  • 100+ to lose

Don't believe we have any room moderators...Not sure what your talking about.

1 minute ago, jenn1 said:

No issue with anyone offing site suggestions to improve the site

I'm not sure why you feel discriminated against and feel the need to discriminate against "smaller people"

I still agree to disagree with you. ALL experiences are welcome This is not a us against them support for weight loss surgery site.

You have not been around the site long enough to realize @Alex Brecher had subcategories of how many pounds to lose. You may want him to bring them back to the site so you can only talk with patients in your weight category or specific situation if that makes you feel more comfortable.

@Alex Brecher

If I remember correctly.Years ago the site had sub subcategories by weight to lose and age. Right?

• 300+ to lose
  • 200+ to lose
  • 100+ to lose

Do we have moderators in the rooms anymore? Years ago it would say moderator at the top of their profile. Is there a reason why moderators would be placed in fat categories? I may be missing something.

Ok, I'm officially confused. What is a "moderator"?

17 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

I must be confused as to what a "moderator" is....who are the moderators? I thought "moderator" was the verbiage being used for everyone who posts. I obviously read that wrong. However, I will say that it leads to a hostile environment to spread drama across posts. It affects everyone, and its counter productive. Plus, like myself, I didn't read that post until today. What about the lot of them who hasn't read it at all. It's confusing and is taking away from the point of the site.

.*laughing* I'm here as another WLS patient...I have never been a moderator. Support group leader local Idaho chapter.

We are adults. We pick and choose what we read and respond to on any website. No need to silence opinions even when you don't agree. Experiences and opinion are part of the diversity online. If a post upsets you or is in violation of the sites rules..feel free to report it. The other option is to not read it and go to a topic that may be more helpful.

@Creekimp13

What is a moderator? if someone could kindly answer my question....

:blink:

6 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

@Creekimp13

What is a moderator? if someone could kindly answer my question....

:blink:

I'm not sure how @Alex Brecher moderates the site. It has changed many times over the years. I know we can report a post. it's up to the site moderators to decide if its in violation and make a decision on reprimanding or removing a member. Again I can be wrong.