Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone doing medical tourism?

I had a great experience there. Every doctor, nurse, and hospital personnel I encountered were extremely curteous and professional. My room was clean, and quiet (unlike our noisy hospitals here in the US). My husband was able to stay with me in the room the entire time (including overnight).

Sent from my VS501 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had mine done in Tijuana at a different place... you’ll have a great experience! I’m almost 2 weeks out (tomorrow) and feel great! I had surgery on Friday evening and was back at work (high school teacher) on Tuesday. Easy peasy!

I ALSO AM GOING TO TJ TO HAVE VGS LITTLE NERVOUS ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

Hi guys,

For those that have chosen Dr. Corvala what was the process for you to pay the deposit. Was it over the phone or did you use a online platform? Thanks!

Ok, because I paid a 10% deposit over the phone but I hadn't reserved my flights so I was told once I have all of my reservations booked I should get back to the coordinator and they will send me all the info for what will happen when I land in San Diego. I feel like the process was fine but I wonder if other people had this experience. Also I was told that after getting discharged from the hospital I would have to book a hotel room and pay for separate from the cost of surgery/ the hospital stay if I choose to stay in San Diego after I get discharged. Is this normal was this your experience booking with Dr Corvala?

Yes, that is normal. The costs include 3 nights in the hospital (1 night pre op and 2 post). I have to get a hotel in San Diego and pay too simply because I could not find a flight home after 3 pm. Bibi is my surgery coordinator. I have found her to be very responsive with any question I ask her. She will also speak with you by phone too. When is your surgery scheduled?

Thank you for responding to me so quickly. Your reply has lessened my fears. I have been talking to my friends and family and they all keep warning me about scams so I think I got a bit paranoid after I paid the deposit even though I have done an extensive amount of research. My surgery is scheduled for Sept. 3rd, so labor day so I still have a few months to go. I am getting the gastric bypass. How about you, when is your surgery.

Edited by mc2017

Sleeve, 6/28. It is good to be skeptical at first. But I did check all the credentials to be sure they were real. And it definitely helps that the people before us can give us feedback. You may be needing to pay the deposit because they are holding your spot for so long. In my case I made the decision and booked my surgery for that same month. Good luck to you. Ps. The pre op diet is not as bad as every one says. It is do-able.

I am on my way back, in Houston airport on layover for a matter of fact. It’s day 4. So here are my takeaways. Make sure you have an app on your phone to translate. The nurses don’t speak Much English. The doctors and nurse supervisors do. If you are bringing someone with you encourage them to go out to eat. It is very safe in that part of the city even after dark. I was able to have a last supper the night before surgery at Casa de Mole. It was delicious. But surprising how little I could eat because my stomach had already shrunk from pre op diet. Dr Corvala very nice but all business. He is in and out and relies very much on his staff which includes several doctors. There were 4 drs in the OR during surgery and a plethora of others as well. I met BiBi, dr corvala’s assistant and she was great. Gave me a very sincere hug. The driver Rafael also amazing. He was so careful on the way out to go over bumps as gingerly as possible. I was surprised at two things. Number one the didn’t have hospital gowns for big girls. So make sure you bring a bathrobe to cover your hiney. Next they do have male attendants to take you to tests or come in to your room without a female. Not that their was any impropriety at all, I was just making a remark that they don’t pay as much attention to potential conflicts that could arise. Comments aside, everything went as expected. I did have a hiatal hernia that dr corvala fixed while in there. After surgery is so hard. The gas and nausea terrible. But they pass and by day 4 feeling pretty good. I am 55 so I think that it took me a day longer than a younger person would to feel better. Reach out if you have questions.

Hi Lilysmom,

Thanks so much for giving a thorough account of your surgery and experience with Dr Corvala. I am so happy that everything went as planned and you are safely on your way back home!

I noticed you said that you were in Mexico for four days, how many of those days were in the hospital? What the process to discharge you and how many leak tests did they do before you flew back?

I hope you are healing well and I look forward to your response.

I was in the hospital the night before surgery. Then surgery was Thursday. I was released on Saturday around 1pm. But we stayed an extra night in San Diego before flying out. If you can afford that do it. That one day made all the difference for me. I am on east coast so it was a 14 hour day. Glad we did the extra day. We actually found a little motel with great ratings and only $80. It was just renovated and very clean and rated aptly on trip advisor. It was called Berkshire Motor Hotel. I know it sounds seedy but it was not al all. It cost $15 to Uber to airport. It took 1 minute for Uber driver to arrive when called. As for barium test, I had only one. But beware it is the nastiest most disgusting thing you will ever put in your mouth. I don’t know what I would have done if there was a leak and they had to go back in. So once they give you the green light you are happy to just be over it. The good thing is you watch the whole thing. So if you have questions you can ask them as the test is being done. Dr Corvala does not perform the test but the dr that does films it on his phone, presumable for Dr corvala to review. After the test, the Drs consult and come see you to tell you you are approved to go home. But they are flexible and will give you a few hours to get ready if needed. Try to schedule so that you don’t leave Mexico on Saturday or Sunday. It can be a very long line at the border. Thanks for the well wishes and let me know if u have more questions. I am happy to answer them. This board has been super helpful to me and I want to pay back. So please ask. Cheers!