Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Satisfaction?

Hey guys. Simple question... After surgery are you able to eat enough of your favorite foods to satisfy your mental cravings?

Surgery scheduled for August 2018

Immediately no, you'll be way to busy with the mechanics of food and then your tastes may change as well. But once you are a few months in and can experiment with flavors learn to slow down even further when eating you will hit the

"I'm good" stage where you will find it unnecessary to squeeze in one last bite (flavor or macros be damned)

HW 270

SW 238

CW 188

VSG 11/7

Hi Fishbonz, congrats on the upcoming surgery!

I am 2.5 weeks post-op, and before my sleeve, I was also kinda worried about hunger and cravings. For me, it has been zero issue. I have been able to make some easy substitutions to address the cravings.

For example, on Taco Tuesday, I threw 3oz of frozen chicken breast strips in a pan, cooked it up with a little cooking spray & taco seasoning, added some salsa in the pan to moisten it up & add more flavor. It totally hit the spot even with the wife & kids having full-on tacos.

I hope this puts your mind a little at ease! :-)

24 minutes ago, Fishbonz said:

Hey guys. Simple question... After surgery are you able to eat enough of your favorite foods to satisfy your mental cravings?

I'm no expert, but I would have thought that would depend on your type of surgery, for instance if a gastric bypass I believe processed foods that contain sugar (or perhaps high in sugar) are a no no as they are likely to cause dumping.

Fishbonz I feel it may also hinge on what your favorite was.
If it is Apple Pie with 2 scoops of vanilla Bean Ice Cream and you just had a bypass-NO NO NO
If your food to desire is a medium rare nicely,grilled T-Bone, maybe eventually. But a funny thing will happen, a few morsels of it will fill you up,
If you are a "veggi" instead of cookie monster like I am; one to three gently cooked brussels Sprouts, ymnn
But you will have time to relish, to taste each food you eat. For it is definate you will no longer longer be able to,mindlessly,bolt,food down.
Ever since I was a mini-Frust8 one of the things I headed for at Thanksgiving and family reunions was candied sweet potatoes/yams. Imagine my surprise the first time I nuked a sweet potato in my microwave? Hey it tastes mighty fine like that and I don't need the sticky gooey candying any more.
You will chew each nite slowly and completely and suddenly you will find " Hey this is what it really tastes like!"
And once you get all these techniques that you will learn perfected you'll have time to,have dinner conversations, you'll care less about the amount of food you can load on as the people and surroundings where you're at.
And your taste buds may change, what you think tastes good may not then and you may develop an appreciation for a new flavor or taste.
Let us known how things go for you, but it will be a interesting experience.

3 hours ago, Fishbonz said:

What does eating "enough" favorite foods mean to you?

Eventually you'll probably be able to eat most anything you'd want to, although perhaps in smaller quantities. Doesn't make it a good plan. You can use the time you're restricted to retrain your eating habits or not . . . your choice.

I'm not trying to be tough on you, and I've eaten a ton of things I shouldn't have since the surgery. But I keep trying to do better with my diet, because this is it for the rest of my life, and I still have a lot of weight to lose. It's my choice, too. It is for each of us.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I do appreciate them. I’ll be having the sleeve or VSG if that makes any difference.
Honestly sweets aren’t my big thing, however SPICY and RICH flavors are my thing. BBQ beef with sweet and hot BBQ Sauce [emoji39]ALL dairy. Spicy Mexican food. A great grilled steak....
I’m truly looking being satisfied with much smaller quantity’s of some of the same food. And maybe y’all are right, my taste buds might change.
Maybe a better question is- Do the cravings subside when the smaller stomach is filled or are you still desirous of the taste? (If all that makes sense)

Let me just say that if you overeat a couple of times, you'll decide to stop when you're full after that! I don't crave more of something when I'm full, and I get full a lot sooner than I used to. But a couple of times I've eaten too much (or drank coffee with my Breakfast because I was out at a restaurant, say), and I regretted it for an hour or two afterward. Not doing that again if I can help it!

But you can eat things you like and you'll be satisfied with less of them, that's all. If, eventually, you can eat more and more, you'll have to make some decisions about how much you want to eat and what foods you want to make a regular part of your diet.

13 hours ago, Fishbonz said:

Thanks everyone for your comments! I do appreciate them. I’ll be having the sleeve or VSG if that makes any difference.
Honestly sweets aren’t my big thing, however SPICY and RICH flavors are my thing. BBQ beef with sweet and hot BBQ Sauce ALL dairy. Spicy Mexican food. A great grilled steak....
I’m truly looking being satisfied with much smaller quantity’s of some of the same food. And maybe y’all are right, my taste buds might change.
Maybe a better question is- Do the cravings subside when the smaller stomach is filled or are you still desirous of the taste? (If all that makes sense)

So sorry, I just realized this is the guy's room...

I just keep healthy options for sweet and salty on hand. Kick the craving.

Healthy food can still be flavorful. I love chicken fajitas without the tortilla. I enjoy the flavors and spices and I'm full on a smaller amount.

What does eating "enough" favorite foods mean to you?

Well it seems there is so many psychological issues to eating, I’m just wondering what happens if the physical aspects of eating are satisfied before the mental aspects are. Does that happen?

To be a little gross, you gently urp up or violently puke, neither a barrel of laughs. Happened,to,me a few,times already in my humble pre-surg life. Well-meaning Aunt:
Come on little Frust8, one one more bite for Auntie Myrtle, tried swallow it and in less than 30 seconds dear Auntie Myrtle was wearing it and it didn't look as pretty after it came out as it did going,in. 😖

To be a little gross, you gently urp up or violently puke, neither a barrel of laughs. Happened,to,me a few,times already in my humble pre-surg life. Well-meaning Aunt:
Come on little Frust8, one one more bite for Auntie Myrtle, tried swallow it and in less than 30 seconds dear Auntie Myrtle was wearing it and it didn't look as pretty after it came out as it did going,in. [emoji37]

Lol! Well I guess that answers that question 🤮

On 5/10/2018 at 3:33 PM, Fishbonz said:

On 5/10/2018 at 3:33 PM, Fishbonz said:

I’m 2 1/2 years post op and my hunger sensation never returned.I have no hunger at all!It’s nice but scary because I was going through a busy stressful time and went 3 days without eating.I have to be very mindful to eat when I see food.