Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI - liquid diet side affects?

Okay so I apologize in advance for the TMI....

I am on liquid diet day 4 and have been struggling with running to the bathroom after every drink (even water) and veggie. I’m allowed to have 4 Protein Shakes and 2 cups of veggies (only broccoli, green pepper, lettuce, cucumbers, or celery). Every time I consume something it feels like glass inside my intestines and I have to run to the toilet. It’s literally like liquid in, liquid out.

Does this happen to anyone else? They warned me that I might experience Constipation because of the lack of fibre but this is the exact opposite.

i have a road trip to go on this weekend and I’m scared that I will have to pull over every 15 min!

sorry for the details lol

Is this your pre-op diet? It seems like you may be lactose intolerant and can't handle the shakes. You might try plant-based Protein powders and see if you do better. Hope you figure it out.

Try just the shakes without the veggies and see if that settles things down. My bestie will poop her pants if she eats cucumber. I know this cause at restaurants she flings her cucumbers in my salad...cause I love them. Also...I've seen her do the mad dash after accidentally eating one on more than one occasion.

Have you ever had a sensitivity to any of those veggies or whey?

I am needing to relieve myself multiple times an hour here as well but it slowed down for me by day three I haven't had to go nearly as much.

2 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Is this your pre-op diet? It seems like you may be lactose intolerant and can't handle the shakes. You might try plant-based Protein powders and see if you do better. Hope you figure it out.

Thanks! I read the Optifast package and it says it’s lactose free? I’m gonna call the doctor tomorrow to see if there’s an alternative that I can try.

This is my pre-op liquid diet in prep for gastric bypass surgery on May 28th. I have to do three weeks.

Edited by Pink nova

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

Try just the shakes without the veggies and see if that settles things down. My bestie will poop her pants if she eats cucumber. I know this cause at restaurants she flings her cucumbers in my salad...cause I love them. Also...I've seen her do the mad dash after accidentally eating one on more than one occasion.

Have you ever had a sensitivity to any of those veggies or whey?

I have only eaten green peppers, broccoli, and celery these past few days and I’ve never had problems before...they’re my fav veggies. I have never tried whey before so I’m really not sure. Maybe that’s the culprit??

1 hour ago, lorax said:

I am needing to relieve myself multiple times an hour here as well but it slowed down for me by day three I haven't had to go nearly as much.

I’m glad it’s easing up for you. I’m hoping it does the same for me. I’m afraid to leave the house and even dropping my boys off to school makes me nervous and it literally takes 10 min if even. Maybe day 5 will be kinder to me.

1 hour ago, Normaj3443 said:

I'm doing the same thing. My Dr warned me about Constipation as well! Ummmmm....not happening here!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Me too!!!! I even bought Benefibre to mix into my drinks to remedy the constipation. Thank goodness I didn’t use it otherwise I’d really be crying! Lol.

Okay so I apologize in advance for the TMI....
I am on liquid diet day 4 and have been struggling with running to the bathroom after every drink (even water) and veggie. I’m allowed to have 4 Protein Shakes and 2 cups of veggies (only broccoli, green pepper, lettuce, cucumbers, or celery). Every time I consume something it feels like glass inside my intestines and I have to run to the toilet. It’s literally like liquid in, liquid out.
Does this happen to anyone else? They warned me that I might experience Constipation because of the lack of fibre but this is the exact opposite.
i have a road trip to go on this weekend and I’m scared that I will have to pull over every 15 min!
sorry for the details lol

I did the Optifast for 2 weeks and got sleeved this morning. All 14 days I was a mess in the bathroom. Every day. All day. It was pretty awful, but I got through it
Good luck!

HW: 311
CW: 255
SW: 255
First goal weight: 191 lbs
Second goal weight: 159 lbs
Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

I did the Optifast for 2 weeks and got sleeved this morning. All 14 days I was a mess in the bathroom. Every day. All day. It was pretty awful, but I got through it
Good luck!

HW: 311
CW: 255
SW: 255
First goal weight: 191 lbs
Second goal weight: 159 lbs
Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Congrats on getting sleeved! How are you feeling?

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

22 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I am extremely sensitive to casein and whey, and I too use pea Protein Shakes. Vega makes a palatable one, but the stevia makes it a bit sweet. Sorry to hear of your problems, but I can commiserate, since I have that problem daily, after my gallbladder removal, if I don't take my Questran. Give the plant based a try. I think that Vega has individual packets available, instead of having to buy a large tub.

If you don't mind lowering the Protein count Svelte tastes very good, don't even taste the soy in it. I was surprised. I have the French vanilla but I think Little Green says they make a Cappuccino also, probably chocolate, maybe strawberry? 😋

This was happening to me when I was adding too much Water to the shakes. Now I am really careful to keep it at 300ml and the shakes are thicker. They actually caused Constipation and I add benefibre to stay regular. But when I was trying to get ore like 500ml out of a shake it was going right through me. And... one day I tried the veggies and I had severe cramps and was running to washroom. I've been on the shake for 17 days now... and only had veggies twice and was cramped and sick both times. Hope that helps!

Thanks for all of your responses!

UPDATE: So I went for my pre-surgical appointment yesterday and was told that my body was not tolerating the shakes and going to the washroom 20+ times a day with the runs was not normal. They gave me an alternative meal plan for my last two weeks. It’s basically a high Protein, low carb low fat plan. Although I was super excited to have food again, I feel guilty for not following through the liquid diet. Either way, I’m glad they figured out what was wrong and now my stomach doesn’t hurt anymore. Yay! lol