Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not eating soft foods yet! Exhausted and can’t get all protein in

I was sleeved on 4/23 and I have had great success. Not been sick or nauseous but I am exhausted! Like more than I was fat!!! Also, I’m going to Austin for my daughters graduation and I can’t eat until the 14th so I’m upset. I went to my 2 week check up and she said absolutely not that I can’t go to soft food early. Has anyone eaten early? Also how did you get all your Protein in? She said I won’t get better or less weak without the protein but Lordy the shakes are driving me nuts lol thanks for suggestions

My post op plan (I am 6 days out so no soft foods) allows Greek yogurt 1 oz. /hour and it has been a nice change of pace. I either mix various herbs/seasonings with it or put it in a mug of warm vegetable or chicken broth. About 4 oz. of that and 3 Protein Shakes and I am getting about 100 G Protein. I do thin out the shakes with Decaf or hot Water which makes them easier to take. Enjoy your daughter's graduation, is she a Longhorn?

My post op plan (I am 6 days out so no soft foods) allows Greek yogurt 1 oz. /hour and it has been a nice change of pace. I either mix various herbs/seasonings with it or put it in a mug of warm vegetable or chicken broth. About 4 oz. of that and 3 Protein Shakes and I am getting about 100 G Protein. I do thin out the shakes with Decaf or hot Water which makes them easier to take. Enjoy your daughter's graduation, is she a Longhorn?

Thanks for the suggestion! She is graduating with her associates from Austin Community College, not a longhorn yet!

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, amartinez8853 said:

I was sleeved on 4/23 and I have had great success. Not been sick or nauseous but I am exhausted! Like more than I was fat!!! Also, I’m going to Austin for my daughters graduation and I can’t eat until the 14th so I’m upset. I went to my 2 week check up and she said absolutely not that I can’t go to soft food early. Has anyone eaten early? Also how did you get all your Protein in? She said I won’t get better or less weak without the Protein but Lordy the shakes are driving me nuts lol thanks for suggestions

The Protein Shakes do get old the first week, but they do help. Each doctor is different in their post-op instructions so I'm not sure how long you have to be on liquids. I know when I started with soft foods, cottage cheese and high-protein yogurt helped me get my protein. Check the Protein Shake cook book at bariatricfoodie.com, too. All the best to you!

I would talk to your surgeon's office about getting a B12 shot. I hit a wall about 2 weeks post op and felt exhausted like you described. I asked for and received a B12 shot. It could have been a coincidence, but I felt better within a day or two. I'm still eating under 500 calories most days, and have been feeling great. If you can't get the shot, then I'd suggest trying sublingual B12 you can get over the counter.

I was extremely tired all the time after my surgery. When I went in the office for my check up, my NP ordered blood work, and my Iron and Vitamin D were REALLY low. I'm supplementing now, and I'm feeling MUCH better. Maybe something to look into.

My surgeon cleared me for soft foods 5 days after surgery. I was really surprised, but now at 3 1/2 weeks out I'm eating all normal foods just a lot smaller amounts than before. I would say it's up to you. Try one new food a day and see how you tolerate it. Just make sure to take small bites and chew very well, I think you'll do fine. Good luck.

On 5/8/2018 at 6:06 PM, amartinez8853 said:

I was sleeved on 4/23 and I have had great success. Not been sick or nauseous but I am exhausted! Like more than I was fat!!! Also, I’m going to Austin for my daughters graduation and I can’t eat until the 14th so I’m upset. I went to my 2 week check up and she said absolutely not that I can’t go to soft food early. Has anyone eaten early? Also how did you get all your Protein in? She said I won’t get better or less weak without the Protein but Lordy the shakes are driving me nuts lol thanks for suggestions

Wow, that sure is a long time to wait to be upgraded! I was upgraded to soft foods 8 days after my surgery! Haven't had any problems. I feel your pain because I was sick of the Protein Shakes too! I see today is your follow up so hope you get some good news! :)

Protein can be added to Soups. Lots of Soups go easily in the blender. I used mostly canned vegetable and veg beef. Also made a homemade Soup called "Souper easy Mexican Bean Soup" that was great, wife liked it very much without the blending. Recipe out on internet. I would simply blend up enough for 3-4 servings and package them in individual servings of say 4-5 oz each. Baby oatmeal or even blended regular oatmeal works real well. Cottage cheese became a favorite even blended with some No Sugar added peaches. pureed tuna salad and chicken salad worked real well.

I think a key is finding a truly "No Flavor and taste free" Protein that you can add to anything. I tried several of the non-flavored versions of brand Proteins but they always added some vanilla taste to anything I mixed them with. Didn't always go well as I did throw more than 1 item away.

I finally found GENEPRO, a truly tasteless Protein Powder. You can mix 1 TBsp of the powder for 30 gm protein into plain Water with no taste. While it seems much more expensive per ounce it really isn't per serving. I usually add 1 or 2 tsp (10gms protein each) to things I need or want more protein from with no change in taste. Bottom line, I can now add protein to anything I want to, even my decaf coffee.

I had my sleeve the same day. My surgeon explained to me that 6 weeks post surgery you are at risk of rupturing that new pouch. Do what they tell you. Try Oikos tripple zero yogurt. its got 15 grams of Protein and i was allowed to sub that in for a shake.

2 hours ago, Ernie D said:

I had my sleeve the same day. My surgeon explained to me that 6 weeks post surgery you are at risk of rupturing that new pouch. Do what they tell you. Try Oikos tripple zero yogurt. its got 15 grams of Protein and i was allowed to sub that in for a shake.

I totally agree with you! I am really unsure why these doctors are green lighting soft foods so early! I'm some cases the full liquid the day from the hospital. I snuck some blended stuff too early and my body didn't l like it! When it was time to do blended I had to take it back a notch. The next visit i did what I was told and waited for my DAY to start soft food (5/15/18!) I probably rushed that too because i have been nauseous and throwing up for a few days. Hopefully its just a bug.

I was told it was ok to have scrambled eggs, its only 7 grams of Protein in 7 1 egg, I add 2 scoops of Cabot whey powder to my food every day, that's an extra 40 grams of protein there. Premier Protein shake has 30, you're at 70!

I was given this, I just do not believe surgeons are approving solid foods only 6 days after surgery and I strongly believe that this is another internet troll that has infiltrated this forum or another patient in denial making their own dietary plan up after surgery.

Stage 1: Clear Liquids

Days 1-3 Post-Op
- You can start this diet on DAY 1 in the hospital.
- Clear Liquids only.
- On DAY 3 you may start adding Protein Drinks back into your diet
- AT LEAST 75 grams of Protein daily

Stage 2: Full Liquids

Days 4-14 Post-Op
- All liquids must be pourable from a cup, NO CHUNKS
- 1-2 ounces of Water to be sipped every 15 minutes while awake
- It is important to consume at least 64 ounces of Fluid daily while awake.
- Examples of acceptable foods/liquids:
o Cream of wheat (thinned), cream of rice (thinned), mashed potatoes (thinned).
Must be thinned with fat free milk or broth
o Lactose-free milk, skim milk, sugar-free and low-fat yogurt (NO fruits or seeds)
o LOW sodium vegetable juices
o Unsweetened applesauce (thinned with water)
o Unflavored Protein Powder, flavored low-carb/high-protein shakes
o Blended creamy Soups, broths, bouillon
o Sugar-free Gelatin (liquid state only)
o Sugar-free pudding (thinned)
o Sugar-free custard (thinned)
o Sugar-free popsicles
- Besides what is listed above, nothing else is allowed.
- Start your chewable Multivitamin on DAY 7 after surgery.

Stage 3: pureed Foods

Day 14-35
- You may now have pureed foods.
- During this stage you will learn your new style of eating.
- Listen to your pouch, it will guide you on portion sizes.
- Stop eating when you feel a slight pressure in your chest area.
- Pureed foods should be the consistency of baby food.< br /> - Add foods slowly, one at a time, to test your tolerance of each food.
- You may add protein powder to pureed foods to add more protein.
• Foods allowed on this stage include all full liquids from previous liquid stage, plus:
o Cream of wheat, cream of rice
o Thinned oatmeal and grits
o Mashed potatoes, skinless sweet potatoes (slightly thinned)
o Lactose free milk, skim milk
o Sugar-free & low-fat yogurt (no fruits or seeds)
o Low-fat cottage cheese (pureed)
o Low-fat ricotta cheese
o Soft-cooked pureed vegetables, Stage 1 baby food (no more than ½ cup/day)
o Unsweetened apple sauce, unsweetened or lite canned fruit without seeds
(pureed), Stage 1 baby food
o Pureed chicken, turkey, or fish (Stage 1 baby meats)
o Fat-free refried Beans (thinned)
o Hummus
o Protein powder and drinks
o Blended creamy soups, broths, bouillon soups
o Sugar-free gelatin
o Sugar-free pudding, sugar-free custard
o Sugar-free popsicles
o Herbs and mild spices
• From here on out make sure to chew each bite 20-30 times and avoid liquids 10
minutes before, during, and 30 minutes after meals and Snacks.< br />
Stage 4
Day 35-999
As you transition to solid foods, this is still a time of learning. You will start this phase on DAY
35. Let your pouch be your guide on portion sizes. 1) Take small bites. 2) Chew each bite to
applesauce consistency. 3) Pause 30 seconds between each swallowed bite. Remember,
overeating can lead to nausea, vomiting, and stretching of your pouch.
• This stages includes foods listed in previous stages, plus:
o Lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey (90% lean)
o Fish, egg whites, or egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
o Vegetable patties
o Lean canned chicken or tuna (in water)
o Low fat deli meat, shaved
o Creamy peanut butter
o Low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese and ricotta cheese
o 2% or fat free string cheese or cheese slices
o Canned fruit (fruit cocktail—no grapes or cherries) in its own juice, lite, or no
sugar added
o Bananas (remove strings)
o Soft cooked or canned vegetables and vegetable juice
o Toasted breads or crackers
o Low-fat yogurt (without seeds and whole fruit)
o Butter Buds, Fat-free butter spray, low-fat or lite mayo, olive oil, safflower oil
o Herbs and mild spices (most herbs, spices, and low calorie Condiments are okay)
• Remember 1 oz of meat provides 7 grams of protein
• Make sure to choose a protein food FIRST and a fruit or vegetable SECOND. You may
also select a starch/grain LAST if you still have room.

Edited by Sammy 10-30

1 hour ago, magpie26 said:

I totally agree with you! I am really unsure why these doctors are green lighting soft foods so early! I'm some cases the full liquid the day from the hospital. I snuck some blended stuff too early and my body didn't l like it! When it was time to do blended I had to take it back a notch. The next visit i did what I was told and waited for my DAY to start soft food (5/15/18!) I probably rushed that too because i have been nauseous and throwing up for a few days

Different surgeons have different plans. They can all be successful. There is nothing inherently wrong with moving through the stages faster, but each person is different and may take longer to adjust or heal

:huh: Totally not a troll... In fact, why would someone lie about what something like that?? The day I left the hospital I was on Full Liquids (clear only in hosp.) Day 8 I went to soft foods. I just started off with the softest things like yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Then worked my way up to ground meats. I have not once had a bad reaction to anything. I totally agree with @sillykitty, everyone's healing process is different. What works for me may not work for you. Doesn't mean our surgeons don't know what they're doing. My surgeon has a very high success rate so I doubt he'd tell me to do anything that would negatively effect me.