Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve surgery and acid reflux, got worse or better?

I am wanting to the sleeve surgery but my surgeon keeps pushing the gastric bypass which I am not doing. I had AR bad so I had my lap band removed a year ago. I did not have AR before he lap band and did not start getting it until 6 years after having the band. I do not take medication daily for AR but I do take them. I mainly get heartburn after drinking alcohol, carbonation, or bending over after eating a heavy meal. Is there anyone that did not get worsening of acid reflux after getting the sleeve. Is there anyone who might not get it all now since they have lost weight with the sleeve? Thanks for the help.!

Mine has gotten better, but it's still there. I'm able to take generic omeprazole (before surgery, literally all that would work was Prilosec. Not generic Prilosec, not Nexium, nothing else) and it's more mild discomfort when I don't take it as opposed to sheer hell. Currently I'm about 40-50 pounds below where I was when I was first diagnosed with GERD.

Have you ever heard of the Linx system for acid reflux? I have looked into it and it has me reconsidering getting the sleeve now. It has worked on people that have had the sleeve but dont want bypass.

Just now, it'sonlythefirststep said:

I never had it before surgery. Now I have it with anything and everything I drink or eat. That includes water!

oh no! I am sorry. I did have AR for a few months after my lap band but it eventually went away. I think it took me like 4-6 months. Hopefully, yours will go away it doesn't look like you are that far out from surgery? 2 months out?

No, I've never heard of it. I don't think there's a blanket ban on the sleeve if you have GERD, and omeprazole is safe if you've had the sleeve (they gave it to me the morning after my surgery, when I was still in the hospital). I highly recommend the sleeve over bypass and I'd find another surgeon if he won't let you have the sleeve.

1month and 2 weeks I think it is. I hope it gets better. Zantac was prescribed but it feels like it gets stuck in my throat and sits there. Scratching each time I drink

Gone, thanks to hiatal hernia repair with sleeve. My acid reflux was mild -- never took anything for it and it was only a problem when I ate stuff pizza. If acid reflux is an issue for you, I'd seriously consider bypass.

Edited by Apple203

18 months post sleeve here. Have reached goal weight. Had mild acid reflux before the sleeve. Now I am having all kinds of issues....2 endoscopies, horrible GERD, other tests... and now need to go to get a manometry test. I was dead against a bypass but now I am looking at one afterall. Beginning to wish that I had the bypass in the first place.

2 hours ago, abefroman329 said:

No, I've never heard of it. I don't think there's a blanket ban on the sleeve if you have GERD, and omeprazole is safe if you've had the sleeve (they gave it to me the morning after my surgery, when I was still in the hospital). I highly recommend the sleeve over bypass and I'd find another surgeon if he won't let you have the sleeve.

Thanks for the information. I just got back from his office. He said he was not opposed as long as I knew the risk. I did a manometry, scope, and gastric emptying test. Everything looked good so maybe my reason for acid reflux is I am just fat lol. One more test and that is an upper GI next week.

2 hours ago, Apple203 said:

Gone, thanks to hiatal hernia repair with sleeve. My acid reflux was mild -- never took anything for it and it was only a problem when I ate stuff pizza. If acid reflux is an issue for you, I'd seriously consider bypass.

Thanks for the information. I would consider mine mild. I can go days without any meds and really its just alcohol or carbonation (or bending over after a big meal) that can give me reflux. I think I have a hiatal hernia as that seems logical being that when I bend over or lift something heavy I can get instant reflux. The manometry, scope, and gastric emptying test all showed everything looked good so they are a little baffled why I have reflux. I did have a hiatal hernia repair when I had lapband surgery back in 2010.

On 5/8/2018 at 1:08 PM, mylighthouse said:

18 months post sleeve here. Have reached goal weight. Had mild acid reflux before the sleeve. Now I am having all kinds of issues....2 endoscopies, horrible GERD, other tests... and now need to go to get a manometry test. I was dead against a bypass but now I am looking at one afterall. Beginning to wish that I had the bypass in the first place.

That sounds horrible, I had reflux for about 6-7 months non stop with the lap band I could barely take it anymore. I did not have reflux prior to the lapband. I am concerned about the reflux I have now and converting to the sleeve. Have you ever heard of the linx system? I talked to a surgeon about it already. It may prevent you from having to convert to bypass due to reflux. Awesome on reaching your goal. I have done all the tests you have done. I had a scope, gastric emptying, manometry, and today I did an upper GI. They do see I am refluxing on the upper GI. All other tests came back normal. I hope it just may be a hiatal hernia that is to small to see because there is currently no real explanation for it.

Best of luck!

On 5/8/2018 at 1:07 PM, Apple203 said:

If I understand correctly you have the sleeve and do not have reflux now due to a hiatal hernia repair? Did you have reflux prior to the sleeve? How did they diagnose your hiatal hernia? I have had a scope, gastric emptying study, manometry test, and today I did an upper GI. They did see I am refluxing on the upper GI when I layed down on my side. All other tests came back normal (manometry, scope etc). I hope it just may be a hiatal hernia that is to small to see because there is currently no real explanation for it. They are telling me they don't see a hiatal hernia, however I did have a small repair done when they put in the lap band. I am about 95% against bypass due to the NSAIDS issue. I pray I do not need to do that.

Before you ever consider the Linx either pm me or ask me again on here. it's not the sunshining process it seems. This I do know about, okay?