Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is my 5th day post surgery. I spent most of it in the Emergency Room because of severe constipation/stool impaction. I am a Registered Nurse and tried everything that I could think of to help me but nothing worked. Finally I was in such severe pain and in tears that I had my daughter take me to the ER. I was so embarrassed and desperate for help. Finally, after a Soap Suds Enema and retaining it for an eternity I was able to get relief. I am so tired and weak from today and so scared that this will happen again. I have never had Constipation before. I have been taking the Colace twice daily as ordered. I added Dulcolax yesterday. Praying that this is a one time thing.

Staci

SW 219.5

CW 207.2

Surgery Date 5/2/18

Gastric Sleeve

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Constipation was a huge thing for me for several months post-op. (And I still have a moment or two at 19 months post-op.)

Milk of Magnesia always worked for me.

Feel better...

Post surgery is the worst..but it could happen again..only go a day..I take miralax..a serving and a half..as much Water as possible..I had rny gastric so I have malabsorption going anyway.. haven't had a problem since I started doing that...im 6 months in..lost 112 lbs

Miralax twice daily. Will help you go without causing cramps the way dulcolax does.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Constipation was a huge thing for me for several months post-op. (And I still have a moment or two at 19 months post-op.)
Milk of Magnesia always worked for me.
Feel better...

Thank you!!! I just took some Milk of Magnesia just to be safe.

Staci
SW 219.5
CW 207.2
Surgery Date 5/2/18
Gastric Sleeve

This is one of my biggest fears about the surgery (my surgery is on 05/21/18). I have had a few bouts with it early on, and I'm so scared it may happen after surgery. Should I start taking Mirilax NOW??

Post surgery is the worst..but it could happen again..only go a day..I take miralax..a serving and a half..as much Water as possible..I had rny gastric so I have malabsorption going anyway.. haven't had a problem since I started doing that...im 6 months in..lost 112 lbs

Great advice! I am so emotional over this. I will do anything to make sure that it doesn’t happen again!!!!
Congratulations on your amazing weight loss[emoji323]

Staci
SW 219.5
CW 207.2
Surgery Date 5/2/18
Gastric Sleeve

This is one of my biggest fears about the surgery (my surgery is on 05/21/18). I have had a few bouts with it early on, and I'm so scared it may happen after surgery. Should I start taking Mirilax NOW??

My advice would be to do some type of bowel preparation a day or two before the surgery. I thought about it but didn’t. I am pretty sure the cause of my issue was from what was left in my intestines pre-surgery. I only had to do a liquid diet the day before surgery so that also was a factor. You can do this!!! You will be fine if you take care of it ahead of time. Good Luck to you!

Staci
SW 219.5
CW 207.2
Surgery Date 5/2/18
Gastric Sleeve

Constipation was tough for me the first four months or so. Things have recently improved a lot.

Smooth Move tea really works...but be careful because it works by causing bowel irritation......so use only seldom and ask your doctor first.

For those first couple of months, I kept a bulb syringe in the bathroom and did my own little soapy Water treatment here and there when needed. It helped a lot. Even just a little bit of added moisture overnight....can produce amazing results.

It gets better.

hmm, I'm hoping I don't have something like this ahead of me. I was on pre-op diet for 3 weeks, with just the last day being full liquids. I think I last had a BM maybe 2-3 days before surgery, and tomorrow will be 1 week post op. I haven't had any cramps or pain but I did pick myself up some coloxyl with senna tablets the other day and took one last night. I'll follow the instructions on the pack and increase it to 2-3 tablets at night until something moves.

Fingers crossed this is the first and last emergency room episode for you!

5 hours ago, MistyAlli said:

I took Senekot for a few days before surgery, but I did end up taking MoM the week after. And then, when I moved to Protein Shakes, I went the opposite direction!

Man! ((hugs)) I am SO SO sorry! Hope you feel better soon and that the enema helped. Now keep track of poopies and start Miralax and Colace daily and if no poop by day 3, then call MOM.

You know, I don't get it. It's a BIG deal. But our docs (many don't even want us doing bowel preps) don't warn us about this or tell us that you might even have baby stools once you leave here but don't be fooled. You need to have BIG ones first. So it blindsides us!

I too had to go to the ER with Constipation and back up. But I went cuz of projectile vomiting and cramping pain. I'd used Colace, Miralax, and MOM. I'd had baby bms. But damn. I still hadn't given birth to Shamu yet. :blush::57_cry: It just woulda been nice. I would have jumped on things MUCH quicker! LOL.

All the CT showed was that I hadn't ripped anything in my surgery and that I had a crap ton of poop to unload. LOL. I was sent home with meds and instructions to clear the munitions jam.

Today is my 5th day post surgery. I spent most of it in the Emergency Room because of severe constipation/stool impaction. I am a Registered Nurse and tried everything that I could think of to help me but nothing worked. Finally I was in such severe pain and in tears that I had my daughter take me to the ER. I was so embarrassed and desperate for help. Finally, after a Soap Suds Enema and retaining it for an eternity I was able to get relief. I am so tired and weak from today and so scared that this will happen again. I have never had Constipation before. I have been taking the Colace twice daily as ordered. I added Dulcolax yesterday. Praying that this is a one time thing.
Staci
SW 219.5
CW 207.2
Surgery Date 5/2/18
Gastric Sleeve

So sorry you had to go through this!

After surgery, I was instructed to take a stool softener twice a day, and if that didn’t do the trick, add Milk of Magnesium. Magnesium capsules also work well for me, but the pills are too large to swallow at this point.

HW: 225
SW: 214 (5/2/2018)
CW: 208
GW: 145

I almost had to do the same thing, I did Miralax and nothing, stool softener and nothing so I started drinking a cup of Smooth Move tea every night and it is not my miracle drink. I havent had any issues since week 2 and I am now 4 months out.

Thanks for the heads up with this post a few days ago. I'm happy to report after a second night of taking a laxative+stool softener I spent 10-15 only slightly painful minutes in the loo birthing post op poop. Will keep up a nightly tablet for a few weeks until things settle in to being regular with me able to have porridge, steamed veggies and soft chicken again.