Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

one week post op weight stall

i got my sleeve done April 23rd weighing 280 pounds. About a week later I dropped down to 262-267 ( depending on the scale I used)

Tomorrow now makes me 15 days post op and my weight will not budge from that number. I even been working out here and there for 30 -40 min in hoping to get the weight loss going. I'm drinking 1-2 bottles a day and I'm aiming for four a day as I heal. I'm very disappointed and don't know if I should call my dr about this?

Ive been eating pureed food an its all been vegetables so far, along with Protein Shakes, yogurts and no sugar pudding. Its all allowed by my dr so I don't understand why I'm already at a plateau only a week out, HELP!!!

Get a grip, you are not stalled. You just had major surgery and you have inflammation, you had anesthetic and IV fluids and your body needs time. Follow the plan, follow the plan, follow the plan. Plus your bowels are probably not regular yet either...

You will be fine. Relax. Get sleep.

Do not scare me I just had my surgery on the 14th of June and I really feel that this won’t work for me. I have lost 5kgs since then. Hopefully we both drop more soon

4 hours ago, Suzanna Kobiela said:

Do not scare me I just had my surgery on the 14th of June and I really feel that this won’t work for me. I have lost 5kgs since then. Hopefully we both drop more soon

don't panic hun. Weight can do crazy things in the first few weeks post op, as you are healing from major surgery, often retaining fluids and adjusting to medications. You might leave the hospital 3kg heavier than when you went in, or 4kg lighter, or exactly the same. Many doctors advise not even weighing yourself until a month post surgery.

Be prepared for the scale to sometimes stay the same or fluctuate a bit, sometimes for weeks or more, during your weight loss journey. Take body measurements as the scale is not always an accurate reflection of your losses and you will likely continue to lose inches even in the weeks the scale doesn't shift. Follow your plan and keep your focus on the long term goal, regardless of week to week measurements.

You can do this!!!

My first week out from surgery, I lost 8lbs. Mostly Fluid.

Then didn't lose a single pound for 3 weeks. You just had surgery and your body is trying to adjust to everything.

I'm now almost 3 months post-op and down 35lbs. It takes time, but it'll work. Stop weighing yourself and keep your stress down. It's easy to get obsessed when you want instant gratification.

Thank you for that because I like others was getting disheartened and not convinced that I will lose weight. I visualised but now I feel taken back. I wish my surgeon spoke about this at the appointments. Anyway time will tell xxx

Like the others said, don't worry, your body is like WTH?! It takes some people longer to lose, or there can be a "dreaded 3 week stall" it happened to me at like 2.5 weeks, I've had 2 stalls in my 10 weeks out. I put my scale away and weigh myself once a week, if I have self control. I gained 10 pounds when I came back from the hospital. I'm now 10 weeks out and 49 pounds down (my clinic counts the 2 weeks of your pre-op diet, so technically 12 weeks) All of you new post op and soon to be post op will be fine. If you search here you will see people concerned about this probably once or twice a week. I know I did.

Patience peeps!

i got my sleeve done April 23rd weighing 280 pounds. About a week later I dropped down to 262-267 ( depending on the scale I used)
Tomorrow now makes me 15 days post op and my weight will not budge from that number. I even been working out here and there for 30 -40 min in hoping to get the weight loss going. I'm drinking 1-2 bottles a day and I'm aiming for four a day as I heal. I'm very disappointed and don't know if I should call my dr about this?
Ive been eating pureed food an its all been vegetables so far, along with Protein Shakes, yogurts and no sugar pudding. Its all allowed by my dr so I don't understand why I'm already at a plateau only a week out, HELP!!!
I also had vsg april 23rd, at a weight of 286. At the end of week 3, i stalled for 16 days! I was sure the surgery had failed me since i knew i was being militant about following the rules. Calories at 600, Protein at 65, and fluids at 64. My doctor said ita fine just follow the plan. Nutritionist said the same. I worried and weighed and stressed, and it made no difference. Then one day the scale dropped 5lbs and i was on the move again. I still think I'm losing slower than some, but I'm going in the right direction so I'm happy. I am 65 days out and down 37lbs. Thats 1.75lbs daily average. Never done that in my life, so the stalls and the scales and all the worrying was for naught.
I will also agree that you should measure yourself. I wish i had done it before surgery hut it didnt occur to me. I did it about one month out and just did it again and am down about 14 inches overall! Dont sweat this, it will work!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 6/24/2018 at 10:00 AM, zombievsg said:

My first week out from surgery, I lost 8lbs. Mostly Fluid.

Then didn't lose a single pound for 3 weeks. You just had surgery and your body is trying to adjust to everything.

I'm now almost 3 months post-op and down 35lbs. It takes time, but it'll work. Stop weighing yourself and keep your stress down. It's easy to get obsessed when you want instant gratification.

I am so glad to read this. I am almost one month post op and I only lost in that first ten days post op and the last two weeks have been nothing. I only weigh once a week but it can still be frustrating. I know I will start losing again and that my body is probably in shock from losing so much weight since starting the pre-op.

Plus I try to go off measurements and non-scale victories as well.

Hi Connie. Whenever I hit a stall, it helps me to get the 64 ounces of fluids plus an extra cup. It doesn’t seem like you’re getting enough fluids to assist your weight loss. I know it is hard to do, and you may feel waterlogged, but it may help to get more fluids.,

On 6/28/2018 at 9:10 AM, Meggs11 said:

I am so glad to read this. I am almost one month post op and I only lost in that first ten days post op and the last two weeks have been nothing. I only weigh once a week but it can still be frustrating. I know I will start losing again and that my body is probably in shock from losing so much weight since starting the pre-op.

Plus I try to go off measurements and non-scale victories as well.

Yeah! Measurements will be your best friend in this process. Sometimes I feel like I'm not losing weight fast enough, but I went into surgery wearing a size 20-22 and I wear a size 12-14 now. and it's only been 3 months. The number on the scale can only show you some much! There are much better ways to see the progress you've made :D good luck!!!

I agree with this, look at it this way, when you walk down the street, people see you and your shape, they don't see a number hovering over your head!

Keep the scale as one way of measuring but be realistic, its how you look in real life that matters.

Thank you all. I am almost one month post op and not losing. I was wondering.