Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things that Move and Serve Your Food: What to Look for

Key Points:

· Having your own food with you helps you stay on track with your nutrition.

· Foods that need to stay cool will need some type of cooler, insulated lunch bag or ice pack.

· Bringing leftovers may require heating, so look for containers that are safe for microwave cooking.

Lunch Bags

· The size of your lunch bag will depend on how many meals and Snacks you need for your day.

· Insulated lunch bags can keep food cold for longer periods of time if you don’t have a refrigerator available.

· You can buy reusable ice packs to put in your lunch bag.

· A reusable lunch bag is environmentally friendly and you can use this for years.

· The size will be determined by how many meals and snacks you need for the day.

· Neoprene lunch bags can be put in the washing machine and dryer.

Cooler

· Great to have when driving around for work or when traveling. Pack with ice, load with your Protein Drinks or other Protein foods.

· Coleman and Igloo are the classic brands, but others are available.

· Coolers now come in hard and soft side versions. There are coolers you can carry, sling over your shoulder, carry as a backpack or roll behind you.

Mini-Fridge

· If your workspace does not have a refrigerator that is convenient to get to, consider buying a mini-fridge to stash protein drinks, leftovers and snacks. Check with your employer for guidelines. Certain electrical outlets may limit the type of mini-fridge you can bring to work.

Plastic Containers

· Find plastic containers with lids to bring your food in measured quantities.

· Some plastic containers can also be microwaved.

· Look for 2 oz., 4 oz. (1/2 cup) and 8 oz. (1 cup) servings. This size you need depends on how far out you are from surgery.

· tupperware, Rubbermaid, Ziploc and Glad are available brands. Look at discount stores for smaller containers.

Bento Boxes

· Look for Bento box for kids on Amazon. These are boxes that are divided to separate food. You can measure your portion into the sections. The kid-size has Portion Control for bariatric patients. Bento boxes also available on The World According to Eggface blog.

Stackable Containers

· GoStak is a product the dietitians found at Obesity Week 2017. There are four containers that range from 2 to 5 ounces. They twist together to form a column. You can find it on www.blenderbottle.com. It is also on Amazon.

· Described on the website: “Durable jars secure tightly to carry powders, Vitamins, supplements, snacks and more.”

· They are BPA free and dishwasher safe.

Travel Cups/Mugs

· Designed to fit in cup holders in your vehicle. These usually have a small opening on the side to sip from. Helps to avoid straws.

· Grocery stores now carry disposable hot beverage cups with lids. This would be great way to sip warm broth or a high protein warm cocoa. Warm up a chocolate Protein Shake and hit the road.

Insulated Tumblers, Cups and Containers

· Insulated cups can keep your protein drinks cold or hot. Look for double-sided cups.

· Thermos is a brand that has been around for decades. There are Water bottles and other food storage items available.

· YETI is a brand that is popular. It is more expensive, but it is a double wall, heavy gauge, stainless steel product. You can find a 20 oz. tumbler with lid for $29.99 at Academy, Gander Mountain and Cabela’s. A less expensive brand is Ozark Mountain at Walmart. A 20 oz. Ozark Mountain metal tumbler is about $10.

· S’Well is another brand that comes in a lot of styles and colors. Prices around $35. Part of the money you pay helps S’Well help provide clean drinking water to children around the globe through the U. S. Fund of UNICEF.

· MyHydrate is a water bottle that has a built-in reminder to help you remember to sip your water. It’s $40.

· There are other insulated containers for hot foods like Soups and stews.

Serving Plates, Bowls and Utensils

· You can find a variety of styles.

Warmers

· Crock-Pot makes an electric lunch crock that has a 20 oz. capacity. Prices range from $20-$30. One reviewer recommends to turn it off about 45 minutes before your lunch, because even the low setting can be too hot. This would be great if splitting a meal with a co-worker or family member.

Thanks!